Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-15-2010, 10:12 AM

Default Thievery is an act of cowardice...

There are many threads about the unfortunate events of theives ripping off good people, and almost always getting away with it. I was the target last night, theives broke into my truck and stole various items and left under the cover of night.

I am not here to whine about how angry I am, or how I want to get my hands on these cowards and teach them a lesson with my fists.

Reading older threads about other board members in the same situation as myself this morning, I have some better ideas of how to protect my home and belongings in the future. I am fortunate that my house was not broken into, and held at gunpoint while my girlfriend and I could've been assaulted. That, I am thankful for.

What I do want to share with you, is a thought that has no doubt crossed all of our paths at one point or another: Buying stolen goods.

If there was no market for stolen goods, theivery would be drastically reduced, almost nonexistant in my opinion. Please consider this when you are approached by someone, or even a "friend" who is selling "hot" items, or offering you some incredible deal on used items. Buying stolen goods is immoral, and will continue to perpetuate this problem which will eventually mean you will be the victim at the hands of theives. Just some food for thought.

Thanks for your consideration.

TFG
Old 01-15-2010, 10:24 AM

when I was out hunting this fall and ran into a fellow coming off his tree stand, I mentioned how mine got stolen last year...he said something about a tracking device on his.....can you get one?? and where

yes having stuff stolen SUCKS. my stand was well hidden on private land and stolen by night poachers who cut the cable. grrrrrrrrrr.

I guess if an item is priced too good to be true it is? how can we prevent re-sale of stolen stuff?
J
Old 01-15-2010, 12:16 PM

I allway's phone the cops when I get approached in a parking lot by guys driving up and asking if you want to buy a stereo, tools, etc etc. I have even followed them and given the cops an up to date loacation until they arrive. I love the satisfaction when these peices of $#!* get caught.
Dodger.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
I allway's phone the cops when I get approached in a parking lot by guys driving up and asking if you want to buy a stereo, tools, etc etc. I have even followed them and given the cops an up to date loacation until they arrive. I love the satisfaction when these peices of $#!* get caught.
Dodger.

X2 I even had one guy get PO'd and say to me while I was dialing the cell phone "why don't you just write down my plate number" so I got out of the truck and did just that. He must have realized he was indeed and idiot because he then left the Home Depot parking lot at a rather high rate of speed.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:30 PM

Location: Just this side of no-where on the edge of common sense

What I do want to share with you, is a thought that has no doubt crossed all of our paths at one point or another: Buying stolen goods.

If there was no market for stolen goods, theivery would be drastically reduced, almost nonexistant in my opinion. Please consider this when you are approached by someone, or even a "friend" who is selling "hot" items, or offering you some incredible deal on used items. Buying stolen goods is immoral, and will continue to perpetuate this problem which will eventually mean you will be the victim at the hands of theives. Just some food for thought.

TFG[/QUOTE]

TIMES 10 TFG !!

I totally agree with you and have argued that same point with friends, acquaintances, co-workers and anyone else whose ear I could bend. I don't care HOW they try to legitamize it the BUYERS are just as GUILTY as the THIEVES. If Thievery is an act of Cowardice then so is Buying stolen property!!
I got into a "heated" argument with a former friend who approached me with a "hot deal" on some stuff. I told him exactly where he could stuff his stuff and what I thought of him for pimping for thieves.
The pawn shops, the car trunk dealers and the buddy with a hot deal ALL belong in a jail cell right beside their scummy thief friends.
I would gladly support a petition to increase penalties for possession of stolen property.

Keep Your Powder Dry,
Dave.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:40 PM
Banned

Default yup

A guy I worked with was complaining about his house being broken into...until I mentioned that great deal he had gotten on his tv. lol. Karma is an evil mistress or your best friend.

Funny....but I've had the van thing happen to me too...several years ago... got stopped in a parking lot and offered a GREAT deal on speakers. Told 'em to take a hike.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Funny....but I've had the van thing happen to me too...several years ago... got stopped in a parking lot and offered a GREAT deal on speakers. Told 'em to take a hike.
A black chevy pick up with a tonneau cover in the parking lot of Red Deers parkland mall in 2002.

The same offer. I did not have a cell at the time but declined and wished him a painful bullet wound in his future endeavors.

I thought it was funny...he didn't.

Unless swearing at me was his way of laughing.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:27 PM

sorry about your luck Gibson, had the same thing happen to me way back. It kind of leaves you feeling violated. especially when the cops say it isnt worth their time to even come and check it out.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-15-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
There are many threads about the unfortunate events of theives ripping off good people, and almost always getting away with it. I was the target last night, theives broke into my truck and stole various items and left under the cover of night.

I am not here to whine about how angry I am, or how I want to get my hands on these cowards and teach them a lesson with my fists.

Reading older threads about other board members in the same situation as myself this morning, I have some better ideas of how to protect my home and belongings in the future. I am fortunate that my house was not broken into, and held at gunpoint while my girlfriend and I could've been assaulted. That, I am thankful for.

TFG
..................Absolutely well said.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:31 PM

Default truck gone

We went to the bar in morniville one night and after only having four drinks i decided to leave my truck at the bar and just walk to a party a few blocks away. When i returned in the morning it was gone. Called the cops and reported it stolen. Few hours later the cops callled and said it was found stripped and burnt to the ground on enoch reserve. When i was talking to the cops on the reserve he informed me that they find roughly 4-6 a week out there in the same spot!!!!!!!! I was a little ticked at his remark because if this was the case wouldnt "YOU" set up some sort of sting to catch theses guys since there is so many being dumped in the same area??? Needless to say i also got robbed form the insurance company the same week. The truck was pretty much build from ground up from NADP in edmonton and was estimated at 98,000 with all the receipts turned into the insurance company, but they only gave me black book value. I definately feel your pain...
Old 01-15-2010, 10:40 PM
Banned

I had a bunch of stuff that was stolen from my farm returned by the Mounties.

My John Deere push lawn mower was altered with a welder by the new owner trying to diguise the item as well as the other items.

The thief spent on 90 (equals 30) days in jail. It was his bizillion theft.

He lives in Gibbons Alberta
Old 01-16-2010, 12:23 AM

How to limit the supply and demand of stolen goods? How do you know your buying stollen goods? Do you Register everything with the police? How do you enforce it? Part of the Gun registration is to track stolen firearms! I don't like registering my guns or my Quad! But if my quad gets stolen and it is registered and has to be registered across Canada, Chances are they will find the Quad or firearm and I may get it Back, or they will catch the *****s that stole it. If this was what the gun registry was about, I might agree with it. The only awnser , I beleive, is to Start HANGING THEIVES!
Old 01-16-2010, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
sorry about your luck Gibson, had the same thing happen to me way back. It kind of leaves you feeling violated. especially when the cops say it isnt worth their time to even come and check it out.
No doubt , its a joke , its like the RCMP are pertecting these guys , I know damn rights if it was the City police there were be 3 police cruisers sent to the seen right then and there .

My favorite is these guys who meet up to you and say I got a few cases of Cubian cigars , to which are practically falling apart , Ill sell them to you for a good price , 50 dollars for the case , I laugh and tell the punk to get the hell outta my town , then they mumble FAT REDNECK then I turn around YOU GOT THAT RIGHT .
Old 01-16-2010, 09:01 AM

Default thieves

Our shop got hit thurs nigt, they cut a fence, started one of our trucks, roveit aroundback and proceeded to fill it up with a welder, tools, helmets, cables etc... then when they drove it outside the fence I guess they didn't have enough stuff yet, they broke my car's pass window and stole my stereo, amp and sub, bunch of loonies, and my fave Roger Miler CD
Old 01-16-2010, 12:06 PM

Remember Brian Knight? He's still facing court for shooting those thieves.

Apparantley crime does pay. One of the thieves, Nick Dewald was only fined $400.00

Boils me.

http://www.albertalocalnews.com/redd..._80820402.html
Old 01-16-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post

Apparantley crime does pay. One of the thieves, Nick Dewald was only fined $400.00

Boils me.

x2...

What a world we live in...

Fond memory from growing up is when a buddy of mine caught a guy trying to steal the stereo out of his car,that he had worked all summer to buy..

He had him drug out in the middle of the parking lot and was landing his 20th punch by the time the teachers caught wind of it..

Old 01-16-2010, 07:17 PM

I've been approached a couple times in the last 3 years in the Canadian tire parking lot in lloyd by a couple guys selling home speaker's. If it happens again, i am going to tell them to follow me to the bank machine to "get cash" and call the cops. Both times they were in an older mini van. I did not realize what was happening until they sped off after I declined.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:00 PM

its time for vigalany justice

Last edited by u_cant_rope_the_wind; 04-25-2011 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post

Boils me.

I use to live in small town of hard working folks and this is how they punish this lowlife. A guy was caught stealing a farm hose. In order to deter occurence the town incharge had this kind of punishment. They hung the hose around the neck of this guy and paraded him around town. One police officer was beating the drum and another was holding a bullhorn to this guy. They told him to yell at the bullhorn : " I am a thief, a lowlife and dont deserve nothing " . I was 12 years old then.

The guy left town and never been heard off. It was very effective that I never heard of any theft then.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:30 PM

30+ years ago a buddy and myself were up to bit of mischief when the cops nabbed us. They loaded us into the cruiser and downtown we went. Back then at the Calgary police station downtown they would bring you to an elevator in the back of the building to take you up to the 2nd floor for booking / call your parents. When we entered the elevator it became apparent that the situation was not good. The cops laid a good whipping on me and my buddy. They then took us back into the alley and asked if we learned our leason and to get our *****es home. We had to walk from downtown to Acadia which was a good couple of hours. When I got home my dad saw me and asked why I was so beat up, so I told him the whole story and how the cops kicked my ***** bad. His only comment was that I was lucky the cops got me before he did for what I had done.

I learned my leason that night on every level and have not been in trouble since then. I have seen a few punks in the neighborhood that could sure use an elevator ride like I had.
Dodger.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
Please consider this when you are approached by someone, or even a "friend" who is selling "hot" items, or offering you some incredible deal on used items. Buying stolen goods is immoral, and will continue to perpetuate this problem which will eventually mean you will be the victim at the hands of thieves. Just some food for thought.
Terrible thing to have happen

You make a very good point about the purchase of stolen goods. I know a couple people who happily purchase items "off the back of trucks." One of these people was a friend, until she gifted us with something she had purchased in said manner for this past Christmas. I knew there was no way she could have afforded to give it to us, and she confessed to the way she purchased it when I lamented how much it must have cost her: "Don't worry, I bought it off the back of a truck!"

WT?

The purchase of stolen goods hurts everyone: the victim (be it a private person or a commercial operation), and consumers who are hit with increased rates for insurance and products.

It also, quite frankly, draws one's integrity and ethics into question if these types of purchases become known.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.

Last edited by lilsundance; 03-25-2010 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:44 PM

Well folks it happened again. I was burgled again last night.

Thankfully, my Harley that was parked outside (never happens) was not pushed over. Thankful that my mistake at leaving it outside did not end up in it being vandalized.

Again, they broke into my truck and took a small amount of cash and various items. I am certain that it must be minors, because they did not look in the back seat at my 18V Dewalt drill, Stihl Chainsaw, and Sunglasses that they could've easily took.

This just peeves me off. I have lived in rougher parts of town for years, and never had a problem. Now I live in a better neighborhood, and it happens twice in three months.

I have installed security lights outside, left the property lights on, and my street is well lit. The problem is, I live near 3 schools, and most of the folks on my street are retired, so I would imagine that they do not have ipods or other valuables in their vehicles. I understand that this is my fault for leaving those in my vehicle, I accept that.

Game on! I pity the fool who decides to rob me now!

Old 03-26-2010, 12:29 PM

Crap TFG, ok this is what you need to do.
Go to the women in needs store, but a $1 lamp.
pull the coard off the lamp, hook it to the bumper, plug it in and go to sleep.
Wake up in the morning and catch the thief. Or at least he wont be back
DONT FORGET TO UNPLUG IT BEFORE YOU GO TO GET INTO YOUR TRUCK
when I was a kid, my bro caught a bike thief that way

I still lose bait that way.

UPS will fondle your animals!!
Old 03-26-2010, 12:52 PM

Is there anywhere you can put up a game camera with IR capability where they either can't notice it or can't get to it?

I recall phoning in some of these type guys to the Police when I was going to SAIT for my apprenticeship. They were trying to sell speakers, the story was they were delivery guys for Soundsaround and were in a plain white GMC Safari. They said that they had been given more speakers to deliver than the invoices called for, so they were at least admitting to embezzlement if nothing else. They too yelled at me when I was writing down their plate #. The stuff was new in the box; so likely from either a retail break-in or an "intercepted shipment" a'la Tony Soprano.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 03-26-2010 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:03 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Is there anywhere you can put up a game camera with IR capability where they either can't notice it or can't get to it?

I recall phoning in some of these type guys to the Police when I was going to SAIT for my apprenticeship. They were trying to sell speakers, the story was they were delivery guys for Soundsaround and were in a plain white GMC Safari. They said that they had been given more speakers to deliver than the invoices called for, so they were at least admitting to embezzlement if nothing else. They too yelled at me when I was writing down their plate #. The stuff was new in the box; so likely from either a retail break-in or an "intercepted shipment" a'la Tony Soprano.
I had the same thing happen last year when I was stopped at a red light. They didn't seem too impressed when I pulled out my cell phone and called the cops in front of them. Not sure if anything ever happened or not.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
I had the same thing happen last year when I was stopped at a red light. They didn't seem too impressed when I pulled out my cell phone and called the cops in front of them. Not sure if anything ever happened or not.
My example was from 1989. I had to use a pay phone.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:42 PM

A dog is a good security measure. My bull mastiff chased a guy out of my garage one night. Thinking back on it I should have let him chase the guy down after he jumped the fence.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post

I recall phoning in some of these type guys to the Police when I was going to SAIT for my apprenticeship. They were trying to sell speakers, the story was they were delivery guys for Soundsaround and were in a plain white GMC Safari.
These speaker clowns are not theives, they are con artists. The speakers / sound systems are insanely poor quality packaged by an outfit out of California to make them look very very very expensive.

The routine always changes, sometimes it's an over order that was never invoiced... Sometimes they are customer returns that they cant resell in store... it always changes... they will show you all sorts of fancy pamphlets telling you that they are worth thousands of dollars. They sell the speakers to you for what ever you have.

The police know about them but its tough to prove fraud in these cases. What they are doing is illegal and if they approach you, you should phone the police. Not to mention, they are operating a business within city limits with out proper permits.

They tricked me about 10 years ago, I was 16 years old. Payed 200 dollars for what I thought was 2000 dollar speakers. I learned my lesson the hard way.

Funny thing was the idiot approached me again about 3 years later in the RBC Parking lot near the Blackfoot Inn. I booted the driverside door panel in.
Considering it was a mid 90's POS Safari Van, I figure we are about even now.

I saw the same guy last year in Lethbridge... He pulled up to me in the Esso Parking Lot near the Casino. Again he did not recognize me. I asked him if he had kids and how proud they must be of their con artist father. I didn't have time to pull him out his driver side window before he sped off.

I am sure most of you have met this same guy at one point in time, if you go to Calgary banks on Fridays. (He will wait in bank parking lots on payday and try to catch unsuspecting young guys)
Old 03-26-2010, 10:55 PM

sneeze i know 3 people(one 26yr old journeyman mechanic) who have fallen for this scam and it sucks because it should be obvious that nothign good ever comes from buying things out of a trunk/van.

And fisherman guy, I too feel your pain. In the last 2 years. My landlord has had his car broken into twice, stolen once, his gf's stolen once, his hit and run by a drunk driver that he chased down and caught witht he cops(he forgot to mention all this to me before we moved in grrrr) then we had my truck broken into and robbed of my GPS from the glovebox and a flashlight.... They left the stereo and cash. Then his gfs moms car gets valdalized, then my truck gets taken on a joyride and smashed to **** and ditched out of gas. It leaves you feeling pretty fricken violated. I put up those fake "real" looking cameras after the first incident but they didnt help so I am looking to move almost soley on this fact. I am not living in the slums by any means but a neighborhood of $400 000 houses shouldn't have crime like this no? I looked us up on the edmonton crime map and neither my 3 incidents are up there and yet 80 crimes(breakins and thefts mostly) in my neighborhood in the last 2 months. I actually couldn't find a single neighborhood in edmonton that had less than 60 in the last 2 months. Its pretty disturbing.

I like the electric bumper Idea and am very very tempted to do it cuz im sick of it. When we took in to the cops things that the robbers left in my truck that didnt belong to me... lighters and CD cases with easily seen clear fingerprints on them, they said that they wont waste their time with that unless there is a murder. They said that they don't even look for stolen vehicles. We just take our case number to insurance and they deal with it from now on. A cop called me late that day when a citizen phoned in about my truck being parked in his driveway, the cop didn't even know it was stolen and when i told him that, he checked and said it was never reported and isn't in the system as such. He also told me I had 15 minutes to move it before the tow truck got there and hauled it away at my expense. My gf had to rush from work to make it and take a screwdriver to start it and drive it the 20 blocks back home all smashed up. I realize the edmonton police have a tough mountain of a job that they are understaffed for but it still sucks when the good guy gets raped and told right to his face to just deal with it and go away.

When I worked at Future shop and theives walked into our warehouse, pushed a big screen TV out the fire Exit, set off the alarm, I went outside and watched them push it across the gravel and load it into the trunk of a car, (3 of them and 1 of me that night working in the install bay) I didnt try to stop them or pursue them(cuz they probably had weapons) but they watched me watch them the whole time. and drove off. I wrote down the plate, called 911 and my boss and told the cops the car color exact model and year and which direction they were headed with a trunk that wont close due to a 50 inch tv box sticking out the back. The cops didnt catch them and when they interviewed them at the residence the car plate was reigistered to the TV was not there... DUH so they could not charge them due to lack of evidence. We even loaded up the security cam that had all of them on tape and showed them pushing with naked hands on the big flat shiny door handle of the fire exit and leave prints there. so we avoided it and showed the cops where to print and again they didn't bother...
Maybe the reason we keep letting these guys go due to lack of evidence is because the police sometimes don't take all the proper steps they could to get evidence... I was asked to come file a police report many weeks after the incident when the same guys had hit 6 or 7 more times at other stores. By then I couldn't pick them out of a lineup of 40 pictures due to my memory isnt that good and their hair and everything was different by then but they were on film again those 6 or 7 more times. I never heard how it all ended but it still upsets me to this day that justice for criminals seems harder to come by everyday. And dont be fooled these are all repeat offenders and have no fear of the law.

I swear if I get robbed one more time this year I may consider switching sides. jk
Also I apologize for this being such a long winded rant lol.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:35 AM

TFG, that sucks man! I know your neighbourhood well and it is certainly one of the most desirable ones in the city. It is very similar to where I live up north here in Silver Springs.

More than likely, you're right about it being a couple of local kids. We have had the same problem sporattically in the past 18 months. However, a fresh snowfall, 4:30am start time and keen tracking skills have seemed to end the problem.

Set 'em up, stake it out and............... send a PM.