Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-16-2010, 07:56 PM

Default vandalizim by minors

us as well as several others on our street had several thousands of dollars worth of damage done by stoned minors that were caught by the police. We are still out about 1500.00 with deductibles and uncovered stuff. What can a guy do,,, sue the parents????? Its not fair that we have to pay for fix my daughters trashed car and my truck as well as the tagged garage door, I never raised vandels. Life sucks
Old 03-16-2010, 08:02 PM
Gone Hunting

Sigh..it sucks...welcome to the world of... no failing students, families with both parents working ...so we can pay for their brats in daycare and no consequences for their actions!!! don't get me started on the judicial system ( we don't have one)
Old 03-16-2010, 09:05 PM
Banned

Default sue the parents

The parents are responsible for their kids. Sue the snot outta them. Maybe then (MAYBE) they'll start caring about whisky tango foxtrot their kids are doing out running around at night.

Responsibility and dignity seem to have taken a back seat to being an asswipe these days. If you can add to your lawsuit...stipulate that if the parents and the little brats get themselves vasectomies you'll drop the suit.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:41 PM

Take the parents to court with copies of your police reports and insurance bills. ou could probably have you insurance apprasier call the parents to add a sence of urgency. Your best bet would be to talk to the parents first and try to settle out of court.

Once all that is settled a little "street justice" may be in order.

I once caught a kid that broke the window on my car, its amazing how disrespectful that little #### was..... until I threw him in handcuffs and called the police. Mr. tough guy cried like a little baby

When the police arrived he begged them to take him to jail rather than release him to his dad

His dad also cut me a cheque for $500 to pay for a new window on the spot.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 03-16-2010, 09:51 PM

small claims court is pretty simple to go through. Thats what I would do...

info here: http://www.albertacourts.ab.ca/Provi...6/Default.aspx
Old 03-16-2010, 09:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
The parents are responsible for their kids. Sue the snot outta them. Maybe then (MAYBE) they'll start caring about whisky tango foxtrot their kids are doing out running around at night.

Responsibility and dignity seem to have taken a back seat to being an asswipe these days. If you can add to your lawsuit...stipulate that if the parents and the little brats get themselves vasectomies you'll drop the suit.
If your children broke the law would you want to be sued? I say throw the kids into community service and let them work the debt off. Also, Take rap and all that other crap off tv so kids stop getting the message that crime is cool and being a Gangsta with get you laid.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.A.S View Post
If your children broke the law would you want to be sued? I say throw the kids into community service and let them work the debt off. Also, Take rap and all that other crap off tv so kids stop getting the message that crime is cool and being a Gangsta with get you laid.
Ive done alot of work with community service youths. The youths tend to see it more as a reduced sentence if not as a joke altogether.(Granted there are some youths out there that do learn their lesson.) I would rather they got punished by the parents than the court system. Once the parents start paying you can be sure the punishments will be more severe.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
Ive done alot of work with community service youths. The youths tend to see it more as a reduced sentence if not as a joke altogether.(Granted there are some youths out there that do learn their lesson.) I would rather they got punished by the parents than the court system. Once the parents start paying you can be sure the punishments will be more severe.
yep... and the parents wont care till it hits their wallet.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:17 PM

You know I was one of those brats . 12 years old , I never wrecked other peoples property never stole but was a bad kid . I was arrested and charged when I was 12 being put in handcuffs and thrown in the back of that cop car had me scared silly . Hell my mom and dad never even picked me up for like 6 hours . And I had to go to court , and probation officer , did some community service cleaning up peoples mess that other hooligans did . And really woke me up . Today I have a great respect for the law , and get angry at the things I did when I was a kid . But kids now in days treat it as a break and keep doing it .
Old 03-16-2010, 10:31 PM

I think that youths convicted of vandalism should not only have to pay restitution, but they should also have their favorite possession brought into the courtroom and destroyed before their very eyes. IPOD or mountain bike, whatever..... smash it into smithereens so that they feel the same sense of loss that they had so senselessly caused themselves.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:43 PM

Quote:
X2!

Funny story (you'll like this one GG6). A few years ago, my neighbour caught a local kid trying to break into his garage at 3am.

Being considerably larger than the kid, he easily contained him and managed to snag his wallet at the same time. Once he checked the kid's ID, he realized he lived just a block away.

Soooo........he proceeded to march the kid up the street by the scruff of the neck to his residence, and pounded on the door until his father finally awoke and opened the door. "I believe THIS belongs to you? Now I know where YOU live. Have a nice night.", was what he said. Haven't had a problem since.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
I feel like kids have to many rights these days. These younger kids these hooligans have never been spanked and can't really be disciplined. As a child I was spanked and I have never vandalized anyone's property or spray painted ****! Bring back the spankings!
Old 03-17-2010, 12:53 AM
Banned

Default just to lighten things up a bit

Quote:
I feel like kids have to many rights these days. These younger kids these hooligans have never been spanked and can't really be disciplined. As a child I was spanked and I have never vandalized anyone's property or spray painted ****! Bring back the spankings!
LOL. Man it sounds like you really miss those spankings. I'm sure you could hire someone if you really miss them that much.

Just kidding...no hard feelings.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
LOL. Man it sounds like you really miss those spankings. I'm sure you could hire someone if you really miss them that much.

Just kidding...no hard feelings.
It made me laugh. (Your post not me getting spanked)
Old 03-17-2010, 07:22 AM

Talk to the parents? They might be good parents with a kid just getting into trouble. I know I did a lot of that when I was younger. If it got back to my parents they would for sure not make you pay out of pocket.

We had the same happen to my parents when we were younger, moved and neighborhood kids broke into house for sale and throw paint everywhere. The kids parents then moved and my parents were out a bunch of money.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:06 AM

Default In theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I think that youths convicted of vandalism should not only have to pay restitution, but they should also have their favorite possession brought into the courtroom and destroyed before their very eyes. IPOD or mountain bike, whatever..... smash it into smithereens so that they feel the same sense of loss that they had so senselessly caused themselves.
Great idea in theory, but the reality is that most kids don't pay for their stuff themselves, and if lost or destroyed mommy and daddy just get them a new one to make up for not being around to raise them right.................so no real learning experience in my opinion..........or they go and rob some other kid to replace what was destroyed....
Old 03-17-2010, 10:16 AM

Hit the parents in the pocket book, if they can't afford it then to bad they should not have had kids. It is up to the parents to discipline and teach their kids respect if they fail to do that then they can pay the consequences. Then it will be up to them to negotiate with a Judge as to their kids punishment for their actions. go to jail, get a job and pay back.
Although many of the hooligans out their are running around all hours of the night most parents choose not to beleive it is one of their own. When they do get arrested their little Johhny is innocent. Kid goes to jail or gets off.

As for me, my truck costs $60,000 to buy, the accessories at anyone time can be close to the same price, to have some low life damage my truck, well $60,000 is 5 years of my life of payments every month they can sacrifice 5 years of their life paying me back. No they just fixing the damage is not good enough.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:25 AM
AvayaAce

I kinda like the laws in Texas when it comes to minors. Curfews for under 18 in midnight and if they get caught breaking the law....it isn't pleasant.

I don't know if any of you have ever been to youth court but it's a joke.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:36 AM

Default Restitution

If you haven't already, you can get the court to order the brat to pay the restitution. It works......but remember, that is usually the sentence....Get cop to give you a Restitution brochure.....
Old 03-17-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
X2!

Funny story (you'll like this one GG6). A few years ago, my neighbour caught a local kid trying to break into his garage at 3am.

Being considerably larger than the kid, he easily contained him and managed to snag his wallet at the same time. Once he checked the kid's ID, he realized he lived just a block away.

Soooo........he proceeded to march the kid up the street by the scruff of the neck to his residence, and pounded on the door until his father finally awoke and opened the door. "I believe THIS belongs to you? Now I know where YOU live. Have a nice night.", was what he said. Haven't had a problem since.
When I bounced at a nightclub I denied entry to a 16 year old with a fake ID. I confiscated the ID and he thought it would be a good idea to try to bring some friends to scare me into giving the ID back. I was outside after the club closed and 3 of them came up to me and started threating to beat me if I didnt give the ID back. They didnt notice I had my finger on the push to talk button on my radio. All of a sudden 13 other doormen ran out of the club and we ended up chasing them for 4 blocks until they jumped into a freezing creek to get away. You should have seen the look on that eminem wanna be's face. PRICELESS!

Old 03-17-2010, 05:21 PM

A couple years ago I had my truck stolen right in front of my home. It was found 4 days later on an other part of town. The police said it was most likely young guys doing drug deals nearby and when they were done took my truck to get somewhere else to do the same thing over again. They told me it was the trend.
Last month my wife walked out to her car and noticed her car had been entered over night. Things thrown around and the only thing taken were a pair of pink fleece mitts. I suspect they were only looking for money.
I don't understand the kids today. I just don"t.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:27 PM

Default Little Bast- DAHLINGS

Just this evening my wife looked out the front window while making supper and saw three kids walking up the road doing something suspicious to the cars. She ran out and found they had squirted Super Glue or Crazy Glue into the door locks. She was on the phone to the police in a flash and my son-in-law and I went looking for them. Caught up with them quickly and without manhandling them, got them to stay and wait until the police arrived - pretty fast response by two cars, actually. It was very satisfying to see the cops load them into the patrolcars and take them home to face the music with their freshly-ticketed fathers. They obviously terrified.

That still leaves me and my neighbors with the problem of glue in our door locks of course but somehow it does not make me want to seize the kids' Ipods or bicycles and smash them up.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:39 PM

SUE THE PARENTS

Of course I would not want to be sued, but that has nothing to do with the fact that their kids cost me money, and I am going to get it back!

There is zero chance of letting them walk.

And btw, the Police will not enforce restitution orders. If restitution is not paid, you have to seek alternative methods through civil court.

Ask me how I know.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-17-2010, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJ View Post
Just this evening my wife looked out the front window while making supper and saw three kids walking up the road doing something suspicious to the cars. She ran out and found they had squirted Super Glue or Crazy Glue into the door locks. She was on the phone to the police in a flash and my son-in-law and I went looking for them. Caught up with them quickly and without manhandling them, got them to stay and wait until the police arrived - pretty fast response by two cars, actually. It was very satisfying to see the cops load them into the patrolcars and take them home to face the music with their freshly-ticketed fathers. They obviously terrified.

That still leaves me and my neighbors with the problem of glue in our door locks of course but somehow it does not make me want to seize the kids' Ipods or bicycles and smash them up.
If you tell your neighbors to get a syringe and some acetone they may be able to flush the super glue out before it fully cures.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post

Ask me how I know.
Hey Ken, how do you know?
Old 03-17-2010, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Many of these kids do not have parents or even a parent to discipline them. You are not gonna get very far trying to get restitution from a kid in foster care or living in a group home. You're living in a bygone era if you think you can sue the parents and spank the kids to make your little world right again. A lot of these kids "were given up" on by their families even before they became teenagers. The parents and the parents parents of these recidivists are the ones that should have been spanked.

- Jim
Old 03-17-2010, 10:56 PM
Banned

Dont even bother calling the police, go find a larger kid and pay him $10 to smack the **** out of the vandals Lol My dads old buddy got ripped off for 10+ K for a motorcycle off of ebay awhile back. Didn't bother going to the police just cut his loses, There is no pride in being a snitch.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:25 AM

Default Restitution

The Restitution thing i was refering is ordered by the Judge. If the kid is under 18 it will always go to alernative measures, (unless the kid is a real bad kid or its a serious crime) So what you do is go to the cops and ask them to ask the judge to consider, the sentence should be restitution. Then if the judge likes the idea, which he usually does because then he doesn't have to think of something. Then it is a court order to pay back the restitution.

But that one fella is right if the kid has no money no job and is a bum....well you can ask the cop can even send it through. But the judge will make the decision.
Call the cop up, see if the kids were bad kids or not, then decide.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJ View Post

Dan, perhaps you and the neighboors should get together and ask the courts to make this little crap heads mow your lawns all summer???????

Jamie
Old 03-18-2010, 07:48 AM

When I was a kid if you did that sort of stuff and got caught the local newspaper had a court section in a prominent visible section of the paper where they put your picture, (a large clear picture) and your name , what you did and your address. If you were under 18 they included your parents names and address. They also had a time slot on the local radio station where they would broadcast all this information for a week. This was in a small town where everyone knew everyone, the public humiliation offenders suffered if caught seemed to keep this section of the paper pretty small.

This was before the days of the young offenders act, which should be revoked. Back in the day when your neighbor could kick any kids ass and teachers could give the strap, kick you out of school at any time and bus drivers could stop the bus and throw you off in the middle of nowhere if you were acting up or refuse to even let you on the bus. You know back in the day when parents/society cared about their kids and had rules they were expected to follow.