Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-28-2020, 10:04 AM

Default Kinbasket Lake

Hey everyone, I'm planning a 2 week solo canoe trip in late August at Kinbasket Lake and was wondering if anyone could share any experience/advice with this lake? I've read it's quite volatile with wind and waves, so I plan on sticking close to shore and doing most of my paddling in the mornings. I have no itinerary and will be in no rush.

I've done a few multi-week solo trips now and was looking for a nice big mountain lake for this one. I've read some good advice on fishing out there, any tips on the best place to start at Kinbasket? Any areas I should check out? Which side of the lake to stay on? Any and all insight much appreciated!
Old 07-28-2020, 06:25 PM

Do a search on the forums. A couple of threads have discussed the lake and canoeing. Go to advanced search and type in Kinbasket.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 07-31-2020, 10:18 AM

I've been a few times and went up the east side road near Donald to some of the Rec Sites there. Lost a huge Bull Trout on a large 5 of Diamonds, look for where the rivers/creek enter. Wife also lost a big one on a wooly bugger trolling. Had a big one chase after a Kokanee I was reeling in as well. Caught lots of Kokanee on wedding rings and there are tonnes of Pike Minnow that will bite almost anything. Also, small Rainbows from shore. Weather was nice every time I have been but I also read that it can be dangerous.
Old 07-31-2020, 10:23 AM

I used to hunt grizzly there and only ever did some shore fishing from camp. Caught bull trout, rainbows and whitefish

As for canoeing the lake can really blow up so use caution and be prepared
Old 08-02-2020, 11:15 PM

Good stuff thank you guys. I searched the forum a little while ago but didn't find a lot of info on specific areas out there and which arms are maybe more scenic etc. Has anyone been down canoe reach out of Valemount?

I've got some wedding band lures in the mail, and picked up a couple of those 5 of diamonds the other week