Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-03-2018, 11:11 PM

Default what is the lowest priced or oldest rod/reel that you

Every year I do the dance of cleaning all the rods, reels, tackle boxes, changing out hooks, making new leader designs and so forth.

I have a dozen $200+ rods reels and a few 40 year old Mitchell's and Pflugers, yet in the mix of the rest of the tackle there are a few of those odd purchases that have become go to rods, and a few old old glass rods that though heavy to hold are still fantastic on feeling, setting and fighting the fish. our oldest glass rod has been modified into an ice fishing rod that is always with us due it's super sensitivity for even dinkers and backbone when going for pike or walleye.

my last *what the hey* purchase was a few years ago for this 9 foot spinning/steelhead rod, $30 walmart special that is about equal to a 6 wt flyrod. it looks like a beast but is very light and surprisingly nimble when targeting trout. I always feel like a twit at a lake when fishing with it due it's look, but wow is it fun.

what's your cheapy go-to rod, or old old rod that never fails for your fishing excitement?
Old 06-04-2018, 12:38 AM

Probably this one, about a 15 year old Ugly Stik and a Mitchell reel... pre Garcia, pre 300, pre serial numbers... puts its date of manufacture in the early 50s. Still gets fished regularly... note the June Bug spinner, just that little bit extra old school cred for this particular photo.

P6020094 by , on Flickr

Though as you can see... its a pretty tight field, Ive steadily gravitated to vintage reels and glass rods over the years. The DAM Quick is probably the cheapest reel I have, I got a buddies ice auger running for him and he gave me the reel, it had been collecting dust in his shed for decades. A thorough cleaning and some fresh grease, its become my favorite pike reel.

P4250045 by , on Flickr

Couple more pics just for the heck of it, I got this rod for free when a co-worker left it in my shed and then moved back east.

P5190076 by , on Flickr

P5100061 by , on Flickr

Last edited by Bushleague; 06-04-2018 at 01:05 AM.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:24 AM

I've got a Zebco spinning combo I got for like my 14th birthday from my grandpa (25 years ago). My oldest son uses it now. Has caught hundreds and hundreds of fish. The little metal ratchet arm for the drag is broken in the spool but it still regularly catches fish.