Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-08-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
This is what an “uncocked” bolt face looks like. No thanks.

Yup had a fellow ask to go out hunting with me,while out I asked him if he carried with round chambered or not. He told me he carried chambered de-cocked. I asked if he would please not do that. He asked why he had done this for years...I explained the why and showed him the primer on the round he was carrying around. It had a huge pin dent in it. Hopefully he took.my advice and gave up that method. Personally while still I hunting it's a round in the chamber with safety on and good muzzle control. Any other style of hunting/ hiking it's empty chamber until go time
Old 08-08-2019, 07:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Lol thanks
👍
Old 08-08-2019, 07:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I am also vary suspicious of using the "chamber a round and hold the trigger down to de-cock the firing pin" method as, as mentioned and shown above, the pin is protruding and I can't help but to think what would happen if the firearm was dropped or bumped hard enough to cause the pin to slide back and compress the spring (to some extent) causing the subsequent return to cause the pin to strike the primer hard enough to discharge the weapon.

That, to me, is seriously sketchy. I haven't seen, nor was able to find a test done on this, but it just seems real freaky sketchy to me. I wouldn't do it and I wouldn't recommend it.
It will never happen, kinda like the safety being on. The rifle will never go off just ask Kurt he says so.
Old 08-08-2019, 07:22 PM

So talking of safeties failing, I have seen it when testing used guns at the range or helping others at the range but in every case someone had F'ed around with the trigger and didn't know what the hell they were doing. I have seen those have trigger or safety failure but once I got them properly adjusted it NEVER happened again. I also never had a round discharge due to one of those problems because I tested the triggers and safeties BEFORE putting a live round in them.

So for all you guys that are so afraid of a safety failing who among you has seen this happen first hand while out hunting. Not I heard, I read, a buddy told me, first hand there at the time? Gun went off with safety on or when safety was released. I have been hunting for 60 years and I have never seen it on the hunting grounds.
Old 08-08-2019, 07:59 PM

I have seen multiple safety’s, trigger mounted safety’s, that have been bumped to the fire position. I have seen three rifles fire in the field while hunting. Three. None were safety failures, all were accidental, and thank goodness no one was hurt. I hunt with an empty chamber 90% of the time and I won’t hunt with anyone that insists on strolling around with a loaded chamber. There is a time and a place for it, but everyone needs to be onboard and bloody aware of their muzzle and everyone else’s.

-Billy Molls
Old 08-08-2019, 08:13 PM

Whenever on foot, chambered with safety on. No exceptions.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:30 PM
Banned

If your moving, there’s no need to have a round in the chamber unless your hunting dangerous game
Old 08-08-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Yup had a fellow ask to go out hunting with me,while out I asked him if he carried with round chambered or not. He told me he carried chambered de-cocked. I asked if he would please not do that. He asked why he had done this for years...I explained the why and showed him the primer on the round he was carrying around. It had a huge pin dent in it. Hopefully he took.my advice and gave up that method. Personally while still I hunting it's a round in the chamber with safety on and good muzzle control. Any other style of hunting/ hiking it's empty chamber until go time
How is that firing pin in the half cocked position? is it tight or is it free floating?

Personally I hunt with a round in the chamber 90% of the time when on foot. If I cross a obstacle I will unload the firearm including removing the magazine.
I have grown up around firearms and I am comfortable with a round in the chamber. Safety is about control. If you cannot keep your rifle muzzle pointed in a safe direction then maybe a person needs to train some more, not only in physical control but in mental control also. Think where you want your muzzle pointed, predict your foot steps etc.
Old 08-08-2019, 09:04 PM

My grandfather taught me not to load the rifle until I was ready to kill something- not necessary, and too many scenarios that can end badly due to accidental misfire. If the situation warrants the need, I will load up 3 rounds, though. Usually unload if nothing happens. Shotgun- always loaded and safety on, never know when the birds will show up. But, it takes literally less than a second to load a bolt action.
Old 08-08-2019, 09:32 PM

Unchambered until ready to shoot. Had a friend almost decapitate another walking in front of him because he had it chambered and accidentally left safety off and discharged when swinging the rifle from one shoulder to the other directly beside our friends head. Couple more inches over and life wouldn’t be the same. I’m not taking that risk and ask people with me to do the same.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZR View Post
It will never happen, kinda like the safety being on. The rifle will never go off just ask Kurt he says so.
Awe, did I hurt your feelings?

I guess this means we can’t hunt together huh?
Old 08-09-2019, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Hunting is dangerous and there are many ways to get hurt or killed out hunting. Accidental shootings from a charged rifle on Safety while being held by the hunter, due to a fall or any other reason have to rank right up there with confirmed Sasquatch kills. To fall, end up with gun pointing at self or other and have safety fail plus gun discharge too is a pretty long set of odds.

Whichever method you choose, my suggestion is to do it exactly the same EVERY time. Mix and match will lead to more missed opportunities (carry un-chambered most of the time but on a stand with round chambered, not used to safety so try to shoot with safety on, usually carry gun chambered on safety, forget to rack a round cause you are walking un-chambered) and a higher chance of accidents by far.

The consistency idea works well. Do the same EVERY time. I was always taught the old adage "The most dangerous gun is the one that is 'not (wink, wink) loaded'". I always was taught to be aware of muzzle direction and have treated firearms as ALWAYS loaded (the adage has stuck with me). I am a chambered guy with safety on (unless going over super ugly terrain or crossing creek, fence or something like that), but am forever looking/ensuring safety "remains on" (like every 1-2 minutes like clockwork, thumb/finger are ensuring safety on) -- kind of a paranoia of mine. The safety is quiet and has been better for me to know that I have but one small action to perform when the need calls: Safety is on, safety is on, safety is on...oh look game standing there staring at me....sloooooooooooowly raise keeping eye on game whilst safety being taken oooooofffffff in one motion....aaaaaaaaaiiimmmm.. SCORE (at least that is the plan). Or if it is a quick need. I just do the same but just more quickly. Again consistency is best in my opinion, not a when I am birds is one way, big game another way, partner another way, Tuesdays another way, snowing another way. ---- all ways are same.

Based on prior postings on this subject, I am somewhat surprised at the level of participation here. Thanks gents (and ladies if there are any). I appreciate the perspectives.

Last edited by WeaselBeard; 08-09-2019 at 01:07 AM.
Old 08-09-2019, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnDawg View Post
Unchambered until ready to shoot. Had a friend almost decapitate another walking in front of him because he had it chambered and accidentally left safety off and discharged when swinging the rifle from one shoulder to the other directly beside our friends head. Couple more inches over and life wouldn’t be the same. I’m not taking that risk and ask people with me to do the same.
So in this case the issue isn't that there was a round chambered, the issue is your friend is an idiot that doesn't know how to control his firearm and he is hunting with his mind in neutral. Loaded chamber, forgets to put safety on, shoulder carry with poor muzzle control and he switches shoulders while allowing the muzzle to come close to pointing directly at someone. On top of that he obviously had to have put a finger on the trigger while switching shoulders. That isn't an accident, safety failure or anything else, it is plain stupidity and negligence.

You can't use this kind of incident as any kind of rational for empty versus chambered while hunting. I wouldn't trust that guy with a supposedly empty chamber cause he is just as likely to forget to unload or forget he chambered a round. I won't even hunt with someone that sweeps me with a muzzle of a gun I know for sure is empty. That would have been the end of the hunt right there and the last time I ever went near the guy.

Chuck - three unintended discharges but none safety related. How does that assist the discussion. Clearly whoever you were with failed to control their finger on the trigger or dragged the trigger across something while the safety was off. The question is, WHY was the safety off and what actually caused the negligent discharge.

Last edited by Dean2; 08-09-2019 at 02:25 AM.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:31 AM

Quote:
So in this case the issue isn't that there was a round chambered, the issue is your friend is an idiot that doesn't know how to control his firearm and he is hunting with his mind in neutral. Loaded chamber, forgets to put safety on, shoulder carry with poor muzzle control and he switches shoulders while allowing the muzzle to come close to pointing directly at someone. On top of that he obviously had to have put a finger on the trigger while switching shoulders. That isn't an accident, safety failure or anything else, it is plain stupidity and negligence.

You can't use this kind of incident as any kind of rational for empty versus chambered while hunting. I wouldn't trust that guy with a supposedly empty chamber cause he is just as likely to forget to unload or forget he chambered a round. I won't even hunt with someone that sweeps me with a muzzle of a gun I know for sure is empty. That would have been the end of the hunt right there and the last time I ever went near the guy.

Chuck - three unintended discharges but none safety related. How does that assist the discussion. Clearly whoever you were with failed to control their finger on the trigger or dragged the trigger across something while the safety was off. The question is, WHY was the safety off and what actually caused the negligent discharge.
X2, as I stated, if the man carrying the rifle cant be trusted to control their muzzle, keep their fingers off the trigger, or effectively use their safety than I'm afraid that they probably cant be trusted to know whether they have a shell in the chamber.

Everyone likes to bring up these incidents as if they are a procedural problem, when 3 layers of safeguards are ignored I'm afraid that the problem is the individual. Negligent discharges are a result of, well, negligence.

Furthermore, any time I've seen a safety actually fail it has resulted in the gun going off as the safety is disengaged and as a result of the trigger having been pulled while the safety is on. Its something that should be checked before the rifle goes into the field, but its also something that should never result in someone getting shot if proper firearms safety rules are followed.

Last edited by Bushleague; 08-09-2019 at 05:53 AM.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:35 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
This is what an “uncocked” bolt face looks like. No thanks.

Ahhhh your nipple is showing

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-09-2019, 05:38 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctd View Post
How is that firing pin in the half cocked position? is it tight or is it free floating?

Personally I hunt with a round in the chamber 90% of the time when on foot. If I cross a obstacle I will unload the firearm including removing the magazine.
I have grown up around firearms and I am comfortable with a round in the chamber. Safety is about control. If you cannot keep your rifle muzzle pointed in a safe direction then maybe a person needs to train some more, not only in physical control but in mental control also. Think where you want your muzzle pointed, predict your foot steps etc.
Way too perfect of a world you walk on until.....yup didn't see that coming and you stumble etc.....still hunting......when your turned on....but if your just covering terrain to get to a spot best be on the side of safe.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-09-2019, 05:47 AM
Banned

Quote:

Why can’t you use this incident. Because if the rifle wasn’t chambered the rifle would have never gone off. You see why you should never walk with a chambered rifle. People’s minds wander, you forget to set the safety on, you bump the safety off by accident, you shoulder your rifle for some reason with the safety on and it bumps the safety off, you trip or stumble, you accidentally drop your rifle that is loaded with the safety on. You guys put a lot of trust in a safety, and that is just plain stupid. You see how many variables there are! Sometimes you don’t mean to do something, but shat happens and it happens in the blink of an eye. Was always taught don’t load the rifle until your ready to shoot and never point a rifle at anything until your 100% sure you know your target. You truly can’t fix stupid! And if you think it never happens your only kidding yourself, there is so much out there that happens that you never hear about. Oh wait Facebook tell you everything that goes on in the world!
Old 08-09-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:

It’s all a guess Dean. An empty chamber eliminates any guesses. I’ll take that any day.

-Billy Molls
Old 08-09-2019, 07:58 AM

Interesting thread.

Chambered with the safety on unless the terrain or obstacle warrants unloading.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:15 AM

Unchambered in all situations.

If I've chambered in anticipation of shooting and the situation changes (animal moves, poor sightline, something) the round may stay in for a brief period. If I find I have to take the rifle out of my shooting position, I usually remove the round.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:

Accidents happen, your greatest barrier is to eliminate the possibilities. I honestly don’t care what you want to do, it’s just how I prefer it. People lose focus when they are excited about a hunt or have things going through their head. You have a stand, chamber up and when that coyote/deer/elk moves over the next hill and you decide to chase, maybe it’s the buck of a lifetime and your so caught up in the chase you forget something.

Go on and hunt chambered, makes no difference to me, I don’t hunt with you. But if I’m hunting with someone I would at least hope they could respect I would feel safer if they went unchambered.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:30 AM

In most cases un chambered was taught this way as a kid and have not seen a reason to change it. Have never had an issue chambering a round as I get ready to take a shot but this is just what I have always done. Odds are if I went to chambered with the safety on I would forget to take my safety off on because it breaks my routine

Exceptions waterfowl from a blind safety on one in the chamber

Bear recovery chambered and hot
Old 08-09-2019, 12:20 PM

I must say when hunting not alone nothing in the chamber, unless we spot something and then the shooter puts one in and stays up front.

95 percent of time I hunt solo,if I am stalking in heavy timber it's loaded always,if I hunt open country with plenty of time to chamber one I keep it empty.

In it's snowing heavy I put one in ,again if I am alone,after near 50 years of hunting if I can't trust my self I will never carry a rifle loaded or unloaded.

The main reason I hunt solo is all the idiots that say they know it all and I find out later one guy shot his truck while unloading, another his front wheel loading.This was decades ago and many guys hunted half ****ed and I never ever drink before or during a hunt.You go to bed drunk at 1am there is no way your sober at 5 am.

This topic has no bad choices ,if you feel not right being loaded then by all means stick with what you do,it's your life and you and you alone only make that choice .Every one has there comfort zone from things that happen in the past or you were taught to do it this way and you stuck with it,it's all good.

What maybe good for one doesn't make it right for everyone.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:28 PM

No hard and fast rule for me. Different situations dictate different approaches.

I tell you what is making me lean more and more toward unchambered... falling down.

The older I get, the more I notice that I am finding holes in the grass or they are finding me. Many unintended things can happen when a guy falls down. Rifles are for keeps. If I die my wife gets lots of cash and a chance to marry up. If I kill someone else for a better chance at a stinky deer, I couldn't live with it.
Old 08-09-2019, 03:13 PM

I hunt mostly by hiding and waiting. Behind natural blinds, tree stands, bales. While I am stationary, the is a round in the chamber, safety on. I have had animals pop out only 30 feet away. Just getting the gun to shoulder has spooked them, cycling the bolt? No thanks.

While I am walking, usually to and from where I'm going to hunker down, the chamber is empty.
Old 08-09-2019, 04:41 PM

Many years ago I was hunting in Sask with a couple of guys I played football with. I won't mention names because the gentleman that had the issues went on to a long and successful pro career.

Short story, he was packing a new 7mm. Chambered round. We returned to the brand new Volvo station wagon his father had just purchased weeks prior. One gentleman unloaded and hopped into the back seat of the wagon. For some bizarre reason the other gentleman was unloading his rifle with the muzzle pointed inside the vehicle. Back hatch was up. The second he lifted the bolt the rifle went off and all I saw was a hole blown into the back seat and the guy sitting there threw his thermos in the air and fell over onto the seat.

I ran around to the side of the vehicle, opened the rear door, expecting mayhem and gore and buddy popped up and asked "scare ya?"

Back to rear of wagon. Other buddy is standing there as white as a ghost and shaking. He never picked up a rifle again.

Hats off to Volvo. That bullet should have gone through the back seat, the lower spine area and gut of buddy sitting there and out the front end somewhere. When we had settled down enough to check things out we found an angled steel plate just inside the rear set upholstery that had deflected the bullet down, through the floorboards and out the rear wheel well where it blew up the tire and lodged a foot into the frozen ground.

Soon to be football star had a lot of explaining to do with his old man. I think at 6'3 and 240 he still took a damn good beating.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Way too perfect of a world you walk on until.....yup didn't see that coming and you stumble etc.....still hunting......when your turned on....but if your just covering terrain to get to a spot best be on the side of safe.....
In all my time carrying a rifle for work I never once had a ND, i know many who did. That majority were operator error, cycle bolt did not remove magazine. Pull trigger boom...
Other ones were people who's rifles were loaded then did the old trigger pull to test if their safety was on.
Two were actual equipment failures, one was a complete failure of the mechanism the safety and a few pins were broken. where the other one had so much rust that the mechanism did not work properly.

I will keep on doing what I do. You keep on doing what you do. If we ever cross paths in the woods I will unload my rifle before having chat with you.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:15 PM

Alone still hunting in a ground blind, chambered, hunting partner unchambered. Son called in a bull elk for me few years back, when we knew he was getting close I softly chambered. Bull heard me & was never seen. 6 point draw zone so I prefer to believe he was a 5-point.

Kid was foot-stomping mad, we'd been hiking very high country about Day 5. I don't give a rat's, one of the most precious things in my life isn't worth a mis-step.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 08-09-2019, 07:32 PM

Chambered with safety on.
Old 08-10-2019, 08:21 AM

270 Person, what make and model of rifle was it and what failed, causing the discharge?

Gerry Burnie

Tags
chambered, hunt, round, unchambered