Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-15-2022, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
No doubt, but crazy how Ovechkin’s durability has been one of his best assets his whole career. I seriously don’t think he’s even had a major injury that’s cost him to miss even 10 consecutive games. Just not taking that level of injury your whole playing career can certainly extended careers as you’re not fighting recurring old injury flare ups in your later career.
The dude is also 4th all time in hits currently, I believe. And many of those are damn hard hits, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderek View Post
He would probably already be there had he not had 2 lockouts and a pandemic shortened season during his career.

He will catch him baring any major injury.
I believe we would be wondering if he could make it to 1k once it is done and over with if it weren’t for those lost seasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Very classy response by the Blackhawks fans. It was nice to see.
For sure.
Old 12-16-2022, 10:08 AM

Ovi is a beast! To have those numbers in his era and the fact he plays physical is just remarkable. And as others have noted ..... to stay healthy with that style of play is just something else.
Look at Orr with his style and what happened.
Clark with the back issues and fighting guys with 40 pounds on him.
Longevity is so rare now.
IMO Ovi is the best goal scorer of all time!!!! he sure know how to celebrate too!!!
When he had the beer shower the other night he was asked about it and said...... I love beer!!!!!
Old 01-01-2023, 05:30 PM

The fact that McJebus hasn’t played half a season yet and already has 72 points and 31 goals is pretty insane. We are looking at Gretzky and Lemieux seasonal numbers if he keeps going at this pace.
Old 01-01-2023, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderek View Post
He would probably already be there had he not had 2 lockouts and a pandemic shortened season during his career.

He will catch him baring any major injury.
2 pandemic shortened seasons at that. He would easily be the leader and be looking at 1000.
Old 01-18-2023, 09:14 AM

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/ivan-provorov...yers-1.1907557

This article is self explanatory.

He made a personal choice. Wonder what the consequences will be?...
Old 01-18-2023, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/ivan-provorov...yers-1.1907557

This article is self explanatory.

He made a personal choice. Wonder what the consequences will be?...
I find it hard to believe he was the only one.
And his actions are being questioned?
What a messed up world we live in
Old 01-18-2023, 09:33 AM

Good for him, if you can't stick with your beliefs then what do you have left ?? he will be crucified by the LGBTQ2 and the liberal woke world but I really don't think he cares

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 01-18-2023, 09:51 AM

The Tolerant folks are going to rip him to shreds for daring to exercise his own beliefs. Small fringe minority with unacceptable views. Personally, I respect people who have beliefs and will be true to them and stand up to the Mob, whether it is a hockey player, Jordan Peterson, or a school teacher who wants to teach critical thinking instead of critical race theory.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-18-2023, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
Good for him
Agreed.
Old 01-18-2023, 11:01 AM

Where was all this tolerance for Kappernick when he kneelled for the national anthem?

Oh wait, that's different because it doesn't fit with the pray the gay away crowd.

Or the extreme patriot crowd.

TBH if the team knew he was going to do this they should have healthy scratched him, no bad publicity unless the player wants to make it an issue. But again time and again, protesting only gets supported here if it is something posters strongly agree with, other types of protesters are wrong and should be dealt harshly with.
Sit back
Pour yourself a tea

Watch us "sportsmen" attack each other and destroy ourselves from within.

From road hunters vs "real hunters" to bowhunters vs rifle hunters, long bows and recurves vs compound user to bow vs crossbow to white hunters vs Native hunters etc etc etc

Enjoy the easy ride, anti hunters. Strange to me why we seem to be doing your job for you.

Excuse me while I go puke.
Old 01-18-2023, 11:05 AM

Likely not the hill I die on, but if it's is hill, so be it. He never said anything hateful, and last I checked freedom of speech and religion is still enshrined. More and more, those two rights are being hacked away at. When they are gone, or if they go, we may as well live in China.
Old 01-18-2023, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Oatey View Post
Where was all this tolerance for Kappernick when he kneelled for the national anthem?

Oh wait, that's different because it doesn't fit with the pray the gay away crowd.

TBH if the team knew he was going to do this they should have healthy scratched him, no bad publicity unless the player wants to make it an issue. But again time and again, protesting only gets supported here if it is something posters strongly agree with, other types of protesters are wrong and should be dealt harshly with.
So are you suggesting that if one doesn't support absolutely every cause, every protest, every act of defiance, every little moral outrage, that they are somehow a hypocrite?

Seems to me people get to pick and chose what they support or believe in. I can't be both pro and anti gun ownership, as an example.

It's quite normal that people would support one position and oppose another, based on their own personal beliefs and moral compass.

I am constantly amused how the Tolerance crowd loves to point fingers and screech about those who don't agree with them, thereby displaying their own intolerance.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-18-2023, 11:19 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

signed a hockey contract to play hockey and be paid accordingly....both sides should honor that and move on...some like to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-18-2023, 11:28 AM

"The National Hockey League issued a response*to multiple outlets on Wednesday regarding Philadelphia Flyers defenceman Ivan Provorov's decision to boycott*the team's*LGBTQ+ Pride Night pregame skate.

The league said that its players can freely choose which initiatives to support."

Good for the league, I'm surprised they got this right. Nothing hurtful was said or done to anybody, buddy simply declined to participate in an activity and stayed in the room, now hopefully moving on....
Old 01-18-2023, 03:05 PM

They did get it right.

Old 01-18-2023, 03:26 PM

Quote:

He should have stayed in the dressing room till the anthem was over if he wanted to make a statement rather than showing disrespect to the country by kneeling during the national anthem.
Old 01-18-2023, 04:36 PM

Quote:

Are you saying that Kappernick disrespecting a nations flag is the same as Proberov refusing to wear an LGBTQ2 jersey during warm up, the 2 are as far apart as the far left and far right

Old 01-18-2023, 04:56 PM

I have a little more perspective than most on Provorov's decision. My son played with him in Brandon with the Wheat Kings for a couple of seasons, sometimes as line mates. Ivan and his family are staunchly religious. His Dad is a priest/minister in their church, and would fly overseas from time to time more or less unannounced to make sure Ivan wasn't dicking around like most of his teammates. My son told me he was completely dedicated to hockey and never drank or did any of the other crap some of his teammates were renowned for in Brandon. All that kid did as a top draft prospect was keep his head down and stay in his lane. At the combine interviews, teams would ask him to dump on his teammates and he never said anything bad about even the worst of them and told the NHL teams that was their jobs to figure out their character not his.

That kid was raised right. Period.
Old 01-18-2023, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
I have a little more perspective than most on Provorov's decision. My son played with him in Brandon with the Wheat Kings for a couple of seasons, sometimes as line mates. Ivan and his family are staunchly religious. His Dad is a priest/minister in their church, and would fly overseas from time to time more or less unannounced to make sure Ivan wasn't dicking around like most of his teammates. My son told me he was completely dedicated to hockey and never drank or did any of the other crap some of his teammates were renowned for in Brandon. All that kid did as a top draft prospect was keep his head down and stay in his lane. At the combine interviews, teams would ask him to dump on his teammates and he never said anything bad about even the worst of them and told the NHL teams that was their jobs to figure out their character not his.

Thank you for posting
Old 01-18-2023, 05:30 PM

Last edited by HVA7mm; 01-18-2023 at 05:55 PM.
Old 01-18-2023, 05:54 PM

Good on Provy, Tort (coach who backed him up), and the NHL' s Press Release on that one.

Wish I could say the same about some of his woke teammates...wow...
Old 01-18-2023, 06:13 PM

Quote:

Because of your post, I’d dare say we are more in the know than 99.95% of people. Thank you for sharing that. I am glad to read this. He’s from a different world. To judge him harshly for following his interpretation of personal religious beliefs is off limits. I’m not defending or accusing him. I don’t know him. I saw nothing that could possibly be construed as hateful. I’d say people should all be leery of condemning this guy. When your boss can impose matters of conscience, we are hurtling down a slope we really don’t want to be on.

The world could be so much easier if people would just live and let live.

Last edited by sns2; 01-18-2023 at 06:21 PM.
Old 01-18-2023, 07:26 PM

If you really believe in freedom and free speech then all the stuff about respecting his religious beliefs or him being "true to himself" doesn't mean a darn thing.

There's tons of religious beliefs and cultural beliefs I don't agree with, and more than anything, I value my freedom to not like them and my freedom not to respect them.

And saying he's being "true to himself"? Anybody can be true to themselves for anything under the sun. You could be being "true to yourself" about some really nasty crap, or being "true to yourself" compels you to feed the poor. What the heck does that even mean?

Anyways here's to true freedom. He is totally free to go or not go on the ice with rainbow tape on his stick, say whatever he wants about homosexuality, and I'm free to say I think he's a jerk for making the choice he made.

That's the freedom we need to be on guard for.
Old 01-18-2023, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffy71 View Post
If you really believe in freedom and free speech then all the stuff about respecting his religious beliefs or him being "true to himself" doesn't mean a darn thing.

There's tons of religious beliefs and cultural beliefs I don't agree with, and more than anything, I value my freedom to not like them and my freedom not to respect them.

And saying he's being "true to himself"? Anybody can be true to themselves for anything under the sun. You could be being "true to yourself" about some really nasty crap, or being "true to yourself" compels you to feed the poor. What the heck does that even mean?

Anyways here's to true freedom. He is totally free to go or not go on the ice with rainbow tape on his stick, say whatever he wants about homosexuality, and I'm free to say I think he's a jerk for making the choice he made.

That's the freedom we need to be on guard for
Unfortunately it appears the only freedom that seems to go unquestioned is the freedom to call someone a jerk for not blindly following the masses because that is what is expected.
Old 01-18-2023, 10:30 PM

It has nothing to do with how many people agree or disagree with an idea.

If you think an idea is a good or bad one, say so. Nobody is arguing that hockey player didn’t have the right to do or say whatever he wants. We AlL have the right, he exercised his, you’re exercising yours. It’s all good and we’re free to agree, disagree, respect or not respect as we see fit.
Old 01-19-2023, 12:17 AM

Wrote a rather (very) lengthy post, then thought more about it and…

Stamkos scored his 500th. 47th player to do so.

Ovi is at 30 and sitting at 810. Tied for most 30-goal seasons? Heading for 52, allegedly, according to the math they do.

Jebus is at 38 goals and 84 points after playing 46 games. Damn!
Old 01-19-2023, 05:19 AM

Stamkos hit's 500 and that's good he has been a stalward of the game since breaking into the league, it's easy to cheer for a guy like him no matter what team he plays on.

Old 01-19-2023, 06:36 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the inside story, I got a good feeling about this fella and that being said he was respectful so should all be on this topic.

We all have been around people from all walks of life and the most I admired were the respectful ones.

Now back to another hockey side of things, the Canucks and flames sure were the best dressed teams in the ice last night but they both sucked

Dam

Old 01-19-2023, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
Stamkos hit's 500 and that's good he has been a stalward of the game since breaking into the league, it's easy to cheer for a guy like him no matter what team he plays on.
Except for last night....should have did that to the oilers...

Canucks got too many issues at hand then toss in this too....dam you Stamkos

Old 01-21-2023, 08:15 PM

Jim Rutherford and the Vancouver owners group have to be by far the worst management team in hockey, how can anyone treat a coach like Bruce Boudreau like they are, leave him swinging in the wind, for gods sake fire him and let the assistant coaches run it for a week or so until you get Tocchet hired and in place, what a classless bunch in Vancouver they should be ashamed.