Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-14-2018, 05:01 PM

Default Archery hunting

I just got an antlerless elk draw . Can I buy an archery tag to go archery hunting . Can I use that antlerless draw tag to hunt the antlerless elk during archery season only . First time bow hunting . Thanks
Old 07-14-2018, 05:20 PM

There are no archery and rifle tags, there is an antlerless tag...it may be valid for different seasons. If you have a draw, you can only hunt the WMU THAT IS SPECIFIED BY YOUR DRAW.

LC
Old 07-14-2018, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
There are no archery and rifle tags, there is an antlerless tag...it may be valid for different seasons. If you have a draw, you can only hunt the WMU THAT IS SPECIFIED BY YOUR DRAW.

LC
x2
Old 07-14-2018, 05:59 PM

Tell us where draw is and you will get a better answer.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:12 PM

Default N2 hunting

Ok sorry . I have a compound bow with arrows in my left hand and I have an antlerless elk tag that I just got through the draw system in my right hand. Archery only hunting is 1month before rifle season. Can I take my bow and antlerless elk tag and bow hunt the month before rifle season . Thanks
Old 07-15-2018, 06:30 PM

Default Without zone and draw code and WMU it’s hard to tell you.

In the draw booklet under the code and WMU that your tag is drawn for it should specify what dates your tag is valid for. If it specifies archery and rifle seasons in that code then no but if it only specifies a rifle season under that code and WMU and has an earlier general archery season yes.
Here is the information strait from last years regs.

Except for the hunting of black bear, coyote, cougar or wolf under the circumstances as outlined under Access for Control of Livestock Predation, a Bowhunting Permit is required by anyone who hunts big game, game bird, wolf or coyote with a bow and arrow. Bowhunters with appropriate general or special licences may hunt during the general seasons, archery-only seasons and primitive weapon seasons. A Bowhunting Permit is required in combination with a big game licence. In some areas of the province, hunters require special licences to hunt certain species of big game – see season tables. A bowhunter who obtains an Antlered Moose Special Licence, Antlerless Moose Special Licence, Calf Moose Special Licence, Antlered Mule Deer Special Licence, Antlerless Mule Deer Special Licence, Antlered White-tailed Deer Special Licence, Antlerless White-tailed Deer Special Licence, Antlered Elk Special Licence, Antlerless Elk Special Licence or Landowner Special Licence may, if an early archery season is offered, hunt under the authority of that licence during the archery season but only in the WMU specified on the licence and only for the type and species of animal for which the licence was issued. Holders of a Landowner Special Licence are subject to the terms/conditions of their licence. Bowhunters are reminded that, in some situations, archery-only seasons for some species may be in progress at the same time as primitive weapon and rifle seasons for other species in the same WMU.

Now go do some scouting for opener.

Last edited by BuckCuller; 07-15-2018 at 06:47 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2 hunting View Post
Ok sorry . I have a compound bow with arrows in my left hand and I have an antlerless elk tag that I just got through the draw system in my right hand. Archery only hunting is 1month before rifle season. Can I take my bow and antlerless elk tag and bow hunt the month before rifle season . Thanks
Yes you can
Old 07-15-2018, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotekiller View Post
Yes you can
But the tag is only valid in the wmu that it was drawn for.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
But the tag is only valid in the wmu that it was drawn for.
Yes that's correct