Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-26-2017, 06:28 PM

Default Fishing Below Ghost Dam

Hi folks, I have recently fished the outflow of Ghost dam and caught plenty of small Browns and Cutts. A fellow fisherman beside me told me that it got down to 63 feet in places. I could see that there was 10+ pound Bulls and Lakes at the bottom but wasn't taking my offering, tips on how to catch these fish would be great! Thanks!
Old 09-27-2017, 12:45 PM

No one?
Old 09-27-2017, 01:05 PM

Default Go Big

Did you try a big mouse fly or a big rapala or a red and white Len Tompson size #2?

cheers
Goose
Old 09-27-2017, 05:30 PM

well its hard to say i have fished there lots in the past but after the floods of 2013 i haven't had much luck with access as i keep getting told the banks and such are unstable and after a while they put up those huge wire fences. i miss that spot though in the past i have seen people use spoons and such with good success.
Old 09-27-2017, 06:40 PM

Thanks guys!

I dont know why people say the slopes are a hazard, seems pretty stable to me. Im hopefully going out there this weekend and hope to catch those hogs!
Old 09-27-2017, 07:09 PM

ya its frustrating when you get bombarded by people there forcing you out. i wonder if those workers at that place have the authority to bug anglers like that.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:14 PM

Talk about it. I've had many people try to kick me out of holes before, no clue why they try, not like were harming them or the ecosystem, wish some people can just stick to their OWN business sometimes.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:27 AM

Lots of weight will get you down deep. That being said that isn't the safest spot not because of unstable banks but there is no warning when the dam opens. That's why I don't fish there anymore. Incredible spot but just wasn't worth the risk to me.
Old 09-29-2017, 07:23 AM

Where do you park to go down there?
Old 09-29-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the local angler View Post
ya its frustrating when you get bombarded by people there forcing you out. i wonder if those workers at that place have the authority to bug anglers like that.
Are you talking about parking and accessing the spot, or wading up river and fishing below the dam? If its the latter then they have no business telling you what to do if you're below the high water mark
Old 09-29-2017, 09:14 AM

Be careful when you are flirting with law.

Under "Additional Restrictions"
Fishing is prohibited by any method within 23 metres downstream of the lower entrance of any fishway, canal, obstacle or leap. Weirs and dams are considered obstacles.

I have personally witnessed COs have a field day at downstream side of dams in Ab.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:43 AM

Thanks JayHad, I am aware of the rule of 23 M away from an obstacle. I never fish right where the dam outflow is, have heard stories of people getting swept down the river when they open the dam.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:05 PM

i use to park at the top of the gravel road where we USE to drive down but they ended up putting up no parking signs there too now and i'm a little iffy about next to the dam that's further up the road were you are literally next to the ghost lake. even though it say road closed and they have that yellow barrier across the road i though you can physically just walk down and use and travel at your own risk cause you would be far enough from the dam and the people who work there. i get bothered by these people but yet the canoe club that see using and launching in the same are don't get told the same thing like really???
Old 09-30-2017, 09:21 AM

I've noticed the same, perhaps the canoe club have talked with the people at Transalta, not sure.