Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 05-19-2009, 09:14 PM

Default Bow advice needed

Looking for a bow. Have it narrowed down to 2. the PSE Bow Madness xs, and the Bowteck Iceman, any pro's or cons from experienced shooters would be apreciated. shot them both today, but having a tough time deciding which one.Don't have a bunch of bow experience, so any opinions would be valued.
The shop I went to did not have a big selection, would have also liked to try a Mathews. also who has the best prices, thanx in advance.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:30 PM

go back another day and shoot the same bows ... see what feels 'good'.

Don't just by a bow because that's all they have ... shop around and shot as many as possible just to see what 'feels the best'.

In the end, if you buy one that feels good and fits you well you'll love it no matter what the brand is. Make sure you get it tuned and then start shooting ... lots and lots.

my 2 cents.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:34 PM

yeah definatley , shoot as many bows as possible. Don t just go and buy what they have ,cause it might not be the right bow for you .. If you are going to spend the money , also spend the time to try as many of them as you can .. shop around and if you got a make a trip to another town or city , it will be worth it .. happy hunting and good luck ..

mamba
Old 05-19-2009, 09:39 PM

Default bow advice

The biggest problem, is there is not a lot of archery shops in my area of the province, and places like wss or bass pro do not have facilities to shoot at.Most likely, the farthest I would travel would be Calgary, any shops, you could recomend. I heard there was also one in Bow Island, but cannot find any info. Thanx.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurly View Post
The biggest problem, is there is not a lot of archery shops in my area of the province, and places like wss or bass pro do not have facilities to shoot at.Most likely, the farthest I would travel would be Calgary, any shops, you could recomend. I heard there was also one in Bow Island, but cannot find any info. Thanx.
Lane archery in lethbridge would be closest to you spurly, as for Calgary jimbows gets my vote otherwise Calgary archery center
Old 05-19-2009, 10:25 PM

Bass pro does have shooting lanes.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:30 PM

Default bow advice

thats good to know, might have to make a roadtrip or two. whats their selection like?
Old 05-19-2009, 10:38 PM

They have quite a few bows in stock, I chatted with one gent behind the counter. he seemed to have a clue. I used to work in an archery shop back in Ontario, I have found it hard to find good people that have a clue since I've been west. I ended up purchasing my latest bow from that shop back in Ont. couldn't beat the price!
Bass pro is deffinetly worth the trip, like the one fellow said just shoot a couple and pick which feels best.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:43 PM

hey spurly ,

definatly check out calgary archery centre and jimbows aswell .. Both good shops and there is definatley a lot of bows for you to shoot . both places have knowledgable people working there and would love to help you out the best they can .. I am not sure bass pro has the best selection in my mind , plus its always nice to support local shops .. just my 2 cents ..good luck

mamba
Old 05-19-2009, 10:48 PM

Default bow

Ya ,I for sure would like to shoot a Mathews and a Hoyt, before I buy,I am mainly looking at these brands for warranty purposes, but I am sure there are a lot of others out there to consider as well.Was at Lane Archery today, but these were the only 2 I liked.Super nice people ,very knowledgable, had me shootin in no time. But I wouldn't mind tryin a couple other namebrands.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:54 PM

Best price for the Iceman is on the Cabela's Canada website. $999 gets you the bow with the entire Octane accessory package. You won't find a better deal. Good luck in your search.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:06 PM

Default bow advice

lots of great advice, much apreciated, keep it comin, whats everybody shootin nowadays?I have been away from it for about 5 years, hard to beleive the differences from then till now.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:09 PM

I've shot a few different makes and keep coming back to Hoyt. I don't think you can beat them. Maybe Mathews could give them a go.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:55 AM

Spurly..are you still in the Pass...if so,take a trip over to Jaffray BC...there is a fella there that owns Kootenay Archery..great guy,lots of bows to try out...if you are still in the Crowsnest,Jaffray is about an hour and a bit away
Old 05-20-2009, 09:02 AM

Default bows

Actually I Just heard about this guy, everything sounds positive and I hear he is a mathews dealer as well.Thanx again guys
Old 05-20-2009, 09:19 PM

Default Bows????

Kevin is a great guy, but give him a call before you decide to go as he has his shop out of his house. I've shot alot of bows over the years and PSE I think is leading the pack for what most hunters want currently. Check out the PSE X-Force Dream Season or if you don't care about Pope & Young check out the PSE Super Short. Both of these bows are extremely fast and offer a 7 inch brace height.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:22 PM

Smile Bow shooting advice

I have been in the sport for almost 25 years killed all kind of animals. What do you plan on doing with your bow. Hunting only or do you plan on attending the 3D events as well. If your just going to be hunting with it then you don't need the top of the line as the middle will do and the extra expence is not worth it. I have killed many animals with the nova and the edge which are were very close to the bottom of the PSE line. As the year went on I went speed crazy just like everyone else. I have shot many 3D events which is excellent pratice and gets you eyes in shape. Purchase a bow about the middle of the road and more then 7" brace height that way it will always be easy to shoot. Chose a single cam bow because the timing will never go out as it does with a twin cam bow. The solo cam bows are very smooth to shoot and if you are just starting out you will need all the help you can get.
PSE is the only bow that I would purchase easy guys there are some excellent bows out there. I just really have found good luck shooting PSE warrant is excellent and if something major happens to you bow it is exchanged over the counter and your set up and shooting in no time.
If you would like help setting up PM me and I will help you chose a bow that you will enjoy for years.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:10 PM

Default bows

Tried out a few more bows today, Mathews DXT, Mathews Reezen, and the Hoyt Alpha Max, all very nice bows, thats 5 now, their all a little different, but starting to get a little confused with the whole situation.I just want to hunt, with this bow, not realy into 3D.I just didn't think it would be this tough.My old bow was a Prairie Fire, which was realy nice, but man they made huge, changes in the last 5 years.Don't know where to go from here.