Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-29-2021, 10:15 PM

Default Time to Change the BBQ

Have a Napoleon that needs to be changed. I was thinking of Vermont Castings. Not interested in Pellet grills or Charcoal. What is a good BBQ under $2000? I would appreciate your opinions. Thanks
Old 04-29-2021, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtiwana View Post
Have a Napoleon that needs to be changed. I was thinking of Vermont Castings. Not interested in Pellet grills or Charcoal. What is a good BBQ under $2000? I would appreciate your opinions. Thanks
I’ve always been partial to Weber grills. Have a gas and charcoal one right now. No issues other than the idiot cooking....
Old 04-29-2021, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
I’ve always been partial to Weber grills. Have a gas and charcoal one right now. No issues other than the idiot cooking....
I've had a Beefeater for the last 15 years. The issue is that they are Auzzie built but I did buy it Edmonton. |Good components and well made.
Old 04-29-2021, 11:32 PM

Bought the Phoenix Grill in 2001. Still going strong and working like in day one.
Old 04-29-2021, 11:45 PM

In that price range, another Napoleon or a Broil King. I have had a few Webers, no longer have any. I have posted this before, the Webers just don't get hot enough for my liking, well made, great Ques, lots of people like them, but not my favourite, especially for winter BBQ use. Don't bother telling me there was something wrong, or not set up right, after owning 3 and cooking on another half dozen with a mix of Nat gas and propane, you aren't going to change my mind.

Running a Nat Gas Broil King for the past 14 years, 3 to 6 days a week year round, have not had to replace anything yet. Have Lava rock on one half the heat shields, bare on the other half. Perpendicular burners, 4 controls cover the 4 burners. Side burner that has been used about 5 times total.
Old 04-30-2021, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
In that price range, another Napoleon or a Broil King. I have had a few Webers, no longer have any. I have posted this before, the Webers just don't get hot enough for my liking, well made, great Ques, lots of people like them, but not my favourite, especially for winter BBQ use. Don't bother telling me there was something wrong, or not set up right, after owning 3 and cooking on another half dozen with a mix of Nat gas and propane, you aren't going to change my mind.

Running a Nat Gas Broil King for the past 14 years, 3 to 6 days a week year round, have not had to replace anything yet. Have Lava rock on one half the heat shields, bare on the other half. Perpendicular burners, 4 controls cover the 4 burners. Side burner that has been used about 5 times total.
I have a weber. Based on what Dean said (lack of searing heat) the last time this was brought up, I bought the weber with a searing station. All the searing station is, is an extra burner between two of the three burners. In my experience what Dean has said is true, with out the searing extra burner, it does not get hot enough to do a good sear on a steak. For anything else it is fine, but if you get a weber and eat steaks, make sure it has the searing station.

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-30-2021, 06:42 AM

For that price range replace it with another Napoleon.
Old 04-30-2021, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I have a weber. Based on what Dean said (lack of searing heat) the last time this was brought up, I bought the weber with a searing station. All the searing station is, is an extra burner between two of the three burners. In my experience what Dean has said is true, with out the searing extra burner, it does not get hot enough to do a good sear on a steak. For anything else it is fine, but if you get a weber and eat steaks, make sure it has the searing station.

I was not aware that Weber had brought out a model with the searing station. That is good to know and I am glad it has worked out well for you. If I ever wear out this current Broil King, which doesn't seem likely, that would put Weber back in the choice list as they really are a well built Q in the semi reasonable price range. I cook enough on the Q that performance outweighs cost and if there was a $5,000 or even $10,000 BBQ that was clearly superior I would buy one of those but all the research I did over the years, spending more than about $1,000-1500 didn't seem to get you anywhere.
Old 04-30-2021, 06:59 AM

I currently own a Weber and a Napoleon grill and have to agree with Dean about the heat output difference. Very noticeable.
After buying the cheaper brands for years, I feel purchasing a quality grill will save you a lot of money in the long run.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
Old 04-30-2021, 07:18 AM

I really like my little natural gas broil king. I think it was regular $550 and I got it for $300 at Rona. That little thing gets piping hot even in -40 and I find it to heat very evenly. I had a budget of $1000 so then I went and got a Pit Boss pellet grill for $500. The pit boss so so but it’s serviceable big heat fluctuations before it kicks in and definitely hot and cold spots but it’s steady no problems with the flame, except I had one bad bag of pellets that got to much moisture and started swelling. They still go through but I had to bang the hopper bin to get them to slide down
Old 04-30-2021, 07:31 AM

For the price point that you're looking at I would look at the Napoleon. When buying a Napoleon don't buy from Canadian Tire as they are just a Chinese licensed product. That means that the grill is just an authorized knock-off. If you want better then the Napoleon, Weber or Broil King you price point will be about $5000+ and I don't think the value is there at the higher price point.

Weber makes great portable units and smokers (I have both), but their full size grill is lacking. Broil King seems to have just given up on the whole grill business and are pushing out crap at a premium price.

As always, opinions are like *****holes we all got one.
Old 04-30-2021, 07:33 AM
Banned

I know you said you don’t want charcoal...this just a comment on how some people live in a different world.
Saw a review for this and thought it looked pretty nice...til I looked up the price...start at about $15000.00
For that price it would have to come with a full time chef
https://www.gearpatrol.com/food/a360...irtuoso-grill/
Old 04-30-2021, 07:55 AM

I’ve got a 3 burner Weber genesis natural gas I’ve had for 11 years and I’ve got to watch it or it’ll get over 750 easy. Even at medium it’ll go to 500 plus degrees. It’s heavy built and has never had trouble being hot and I bbq year round as well.
Old 04-30-2021, 08:06 AM

Get a Weber. Never look back. Even heat. High quality. Don’t buy from Home Depot or Lowe’s. Go to a place like BBQ country and get the good stuff. Not all Weber’s and Napoleons are created equal
Old 04-30-2021, 08:08 AM

Default changing the BBQ out

Napolean is a good quality/top brand of BBQ. Are you not able to get replacement parts for it?
Old 04-30-2021, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfalls View Post
I’ve got a 3 burner Weber genesis natural gas I’ve had for 11 years and I’ve got to watch it or it’ll get over 750 easy. Even at medium it’ll go to 500 plus degrees. It’s heavy built and has never had trouble being hot and I bbq year round as well.
I have had the Genesis for about the same amount of time. It has the 4th, searing burner. Works great and keeps on ticking. Need extra long tongs if you plan on holding your hand over it for longer than a millisecond. Bought from BBQs Galore.
Old 04-30-2021, 08:22 AM

I have the old style webber genesis with the sideways burners. Great for smoking or rotisserie cooking. I've never had an issue searing meat with it either. It's better than 15 years old now and still looks brand new - aside from the flavour bars. Starting to get speed holes in the second set of those.

Colin
Old 04-30-2021, 08:25 AM

I have the 178. Wall Mart Special. Does a great job.

Grizz
Old 04-30-2021, 10:35 AM

We just picked up a Vermont and like it quite a bit. One thing for sure it’s much heavier that most lower priced options.
Old 04-30-2021, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57charlie View Post
Napolean is a good quality/top brand of BBQ. Are you not able to get replacement parts for it?
Here is the thing, I don't know what needs replacing. The heat is not even. I have given it a good clean but it does not seem to work. It used to be fine earlier.
Old 04-30-2021, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Here is the thing, I don't know what needs replacing. The heat is not even. I have given it a good clean but it does not seem to work. It used to be fine earlier.

Take it to BBQ store and have them go through and rebuild it. Will be WAY cheaper than buying a new one. In all likelihood all you need is a new set of burners and maybe one or two control units. Personally, I would replace the burners myself as they are very easy to do and if that didn't work then you could take it in for service.
Old 04-30-2021, 01:21 PM

Quote:
I am going the opposite direction..... have a 19 year old VC and looking to change out soon and will be going Napoleon.

I think the vermont Castings you see out at CT are all China stuff......could be wrong.
Old 04-30-2021, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Colour of flame is good and even?Holes cleaned in the burners?
Old 04-30-2021, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Eagle View Post
We just picked up a Vermont and like it quite a bit. One thing for sure it’s much heavier that most lower priced options.
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1 View Post
I am going the opposite direction..... have a 19 year old VC and looking to change out soon and will be going Napoleon.

I think the vermont Castings you see out at CT are all China stuff......could be wrong.
Vermont Castings went tits up with their BBQ's and CT bought the name, then moved them to China. They are heavy because they have a cast iron lid, which may hold better heat, but doesn't really do anything else. Was not a fan of their construction when I went over them.

We just bought a Broil King yesterday and will be putting together tomorrow. I researched the hell out of them and my budget was $1000.

the ones I really liked were Napoleon (Canada), Bull (US), Broil King(Canada/US). Was not a fan of Webber (China) because the smaller BTU's and smaller cooking area for the same $$$ and where they are made.

Good luck in your choice

Cheers

SS
Old 04-30-2021, 08:21 PM

$2000?

We always buy from Walmart (ya, peasant I know) and they last about 5-8 years. The most expensive biggest one we have ever bough on sale was an Grillsmith Executive Series $300.00 and is huge. Heats to 700f. $2000 would last us nearly 50 years.

https://www.amazon.ca/GrillSmith-Exe.../dp/B073Q2VT4C

What does a $2000 bbq do that this one doesnt? Other than maybe having a smoker built in?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 04-30-2021, 09:21 PM

Default Doesn't matter which brand

The fuel that provides the least energy is NG. If you want searing heat, NG is not the solution.
Old 05-01-2021, 12:38 AM

Bought a Vermont Castings 20 years ago.
Paid $1500.....a bit pricey.

Well it started to show it’s age last summer.
So over the winter we ordered in new burners/rebuild kit, new igniters, new push button ignition. Scraped and cleaned every surface. Cost about $180

So right now we have what looks like a new machine. I’m thinking we should get another 15 years out of it before I need to fab a new belly pan and do another rebuild.....if I can get the parts then.

But 1500+180=$1680/35yr=$48 per year for a large 5 section nice BQ....not too bad. If you buy a $300 grill every 6 years.....you’re no further ahead.....and you end up having to use something that’s not even close in performance.

Buy once, cry once.
Old 05-01-2021, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
The fuel that provides the least energy is NG. If you want searing heat, NG is not the solution.
NG Broil King baron,
grill surface reached 634* measured with an industrial thermometer makes perfect grill marks
Old 05-01-2021, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
$2000?

We always buy from Walmart (ya, peasant I know) and they last about 5-8 years. The most expensive biggest one we have ever bough on sale was an Grillsmith Executive Series $300.00 and is huge. Heats to 700f. $2000 would last us nearly 50 years.

https://www.amazon.ca/GrillSmith-Exe.../dp/B073Q2VT4C

What does a $2000 bbq do that this one doesnt? Other than maybe having a smoker built in?
You’re paying for quality parts. Stainless burners, doors that fit, consistent heat etc. Also lifetime warranty on some components. But there is always the option to buy a lower priced unit and replace them more often. In the long run, I’m not sure how it all compares, and to each their own. Personally I’ve never looked back from purchasing my Napoleon. Take care of them and they’ll last a lifetime.
Old 05-01-2021, 08:37 AM

Depends how often you use your barbecue. For me only half a dozen times a year and the rest of the year it just sits there. biggest problem is putting the cover back on after the wind blows it off.
For only a few times a year a cheap barbecue is good enough