Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2023, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
That is one reason why I would never live in Redmonton.
And the reason I moved on the recommendation of AO members.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 05-15-2023, 10:31 PM

Even if Daniel grows horns and hooves, I will vote for her and not Notley!
Old 05-15-2023, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Seniors are easiest to con (at election time) because most of them watch the news. They grew up in a time where the news was actually the news and they still believe this to be true. It is NOT
Isn’t a good chunk of members here are either seniors or not far from it?
Old 05-15-2023, 11:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Fair assumption.
Old 05-16-2023, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
I’d like to think I’m far from it. Only about 30 years to go before I can collect a seniors discount.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 05-16-2023, 12:52 AM

The media is spinning all the stupid stuff Smith has said in the past extremely well. To the point it’s clearly swaying voters.

At the same time she has not been faced with explaining her past nor her followers to the same degree.

Granted many things Smith said has been crazy and her handlers and spin doctors are doing a horrible job… still someone needs to point out how the NDP is financing all their promises. Who will pay and how are jobs going to be impacted. How is our debt going to be impacted. Who pays off the debt. Explain to the youth voters that what they do now will impact them harder financially down the road.

Smith is looking desperate and on her heels and the public sees it.

She needs now more than ever to portray steady common sense confident leadership.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 05-16-2023, 07:04 AM

For me both leaders are a bad choice.
I think they should put a big dart board up in the election hall and we get to throw a dart blindfolded to see who to vote for. It would be the same as coming up with a good reason on who to vote for.
yup I am a senior and I watch and read the news.
Old 05-16-2023, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
I think they should put a big dart board up in the election hall and we get to throw a dart blindfolded to see who to vote for. It would be the same as coming up with a good reason on who to vote for.
This election can be as much about voting against the dippers as much as it can be about voting for the UCP.
Old 05-16-2023, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Explain to us what’s wrong with the UCP. As far as I can see Smith has brought in more doctors and reduced wait time. She is fighting for our rights to keep our firearms, these are just a few examples.
Old 05-16-2023, 07:55 AM

Quote:
What happens to the Alberta economy once Trudeau and Notley destroy our oil and gas industry?
Old 05-16-2023, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
What happens to the Alberta economy once Trudeau and Notley destroy our oil and gas industry?
Seniors will complain that ayyyshhhh doesn't pay enough, young folks will want handouts and wonder why a burger and fries costs $25, and skilled workers and middle class people will be taxed to death.
Old 05-16-2023, 09:31 AM

This could end up like the 2015 election. Basically folks voting for the NDP because they don’t like Smith. Not understanding that leaders can be replaced. You need to vote for the party whose policies are most in line with your values.
Old 05-16-2023, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandSlam View Post
This could end up like the 2015 election. Basically folks voting for the NDP because they don’t like Smith. Not understanding that leaders can be replaced. You need to vote for the party whose policies are most in line with your values.
I tend to agree with you. I feel it will be closer than expected, and that the UCP will win. However DS won't finish the 4 years. There will be turmoil within the party and she will lose the confidence of her party and be replaced.

BW
Old 05-16-2023, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
Explain to us what’s wrong with the UCP. As far as I can see Smith has brought in more doctors and reduced wait time. She is fighting for our rights to keep our firearms, these are just a few examples.
This about sums it up.
No leader is going to be perfect. This more than ever, is a vote to keep what little we have left of the Alberta, Canada we knew.
Old 05-16-2023, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
For me the worst thing is this take back Alberta radical group
The already brag that they have members who are MP's
They brag that it was them who got rid of Kenny whether you like him or not
Smith has done nothing to distance herself from this group but it seems she might be in their back pocket
it is scary times
Old 05-16-2023, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Smith has done nothing to distance herself from this group but it seems she might be in their back pocket
it is scary times

The question you need to ask is - what is the alternative? The NDP is most certainly not. As mentioned, a party leader can be replaced. Vote for the party policies, not the leader.
Old 05-16-2023, 09:49 AM

Quote:
it is scary times
I think you may need to be more skeptical about what you read in CBC and global news. My $0.02

DR
Old 05-16-2023, 09:50 AM

Quote:
it is scary times
I have not looked into this take back Alberta group have you? Or are you just going by the generalizations used by the morning news?

I have heard them being called radicals but haven’t heard of them doing anything radical and really they were basically non existent to me(and I bet most) till they became a political issue for mainstream media

So outside of a rumor the UCP is link to take back Alberta what policies or issues in their platform are causing you concern?

All I am getting at is research and looking at the actual platform of the UCP would be wise before making choices based only on a rumor
Old 05-16-2023, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandSlam View Post
The question you need to ask is - what is the alternative? The NDP is most certainly not. As mentioned, a party leader can be replaced. Vote for the party policies, not the leader.
How many times have we seen elected parties ignore their own policies or change them once elected! The worst thing you can do is believe what a politician is telling you. All politicians have their own agendas and beliefs. Come election time, they'll tell you what you want to hear. Once elected they'll do what they damn well please.

BW
Old 05-16-2023, 10:02 AM

My gut feeling is that, should the unthinkable happen and the NDP wins, groups like Take Back Alberta will be gaining more attention and support.
Old 05-16-2023, 10:13 AM

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...QmLo8OsFQzI_eP

This will be our future with NDP. Only jobs they want are union. How many private companies will leave Alberta all together in construction.
Old 05-16-2023, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
Hope your right about the advertising/sign thing. Just took pups for a good walk. 1 red sign, 6 blue signs, 184 orange signs. Yikes.
Like our MLA responded to a similar statement, she replied "Signs in a ditch do not win elections". She ran out of signs by people requesting them for private property where as the orange signs are plastered all over public land.
Old 05-16-2023, 10:19 AM

Quote:
For me the worst thing is this take back Alberta radical group.
I've briefly looked into TBA, and I saw nothing radical about them, though their webpage isn't very detailed. Could you list their top three radical beliefs or goals that you find concerning? Have they actually done anything that would be considered radical?
Old 05-16-2023, 10:30 AM

I never said I was voting NDP.
I never said i liked the NDP party
I still remember the Shannon Phillips stories.
I still remember Shannon and Racheal having secret meetings in south western Alberta to change how we use our forests. They moved lots of campers from the Castle area who then went to the McGillivary Staging area and destroyed it by overuse.
People want to go camping.
There are days in the summer if one trailer caught on fire it would take out 50 trailers as people are jammed in so tightly.
So I know who to vote for but I do not feel good about it.
Old 05-16-2023, 12:00 PM

Quote:
it is scary times
Could you help me understand the radical part? Other than the CBC labelling them as such.
TBA is a grass roots group that wants to maintain accountability of politicians to the voters.
Jason Kenny went down because he lost the support of his base by arrogantly ignoring the MLAs who warned him.
Smith seems to understand the need to respect the representatives of the people.
If she doesn’t then she can go the same way as Kenny.
Old 05-16-2023, 12:01 PM

Quote:
So I know who to vote for but I do not feel good about it.
That's totally fair, Artie. I think many here have the same sentiment.
Old 05-16-2023, 12:41 PM

Default AB Election

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancid Crabtree View Post
Could you help me understand the radical part? Other than the CBC labelling them as such.
TBA is a grass roots group that wants to maintain accountability of politicians to the voters.
Jason Kenny went down because he lost the support of his base by arrogantly ignoring the MLAs who warned him.
Smith seems to understand the need to respect the representatives of the people.
If she doesn’t then she can go the same way as Kenny.

Exactly. Everyone is labeled as radical if they don’t accept the leftist views. MSM in Canada is in the liberals back pocket. Bought and paid for.
Old 05-16-2023, 12:45 PM

Two things to consider when voting in today's world:
1-Energy is the one driving force that has led to human prosperity. Fossil fuels are still the world's dominant source of energy and will be for a long time. To expect "renewables to take over anytime soon is a surefire recipe for economic disaster. Vote for the party (in Alberta there are only two legitimate contenders) that best embraces that cold hard fact. Remember there are compromises involved with any and all forms of energy sources.

2-Those who identify as being from the left side of the political spectrum are more profoundly influenced by emotions rather than cold hard facts. They are also ingrained with the belief that liberal views are morally superior to those of right- minded individuals. If you firmly believe this is the type of individuals that ought to dictate economic policies then you clearly regard economic policies as irrelevant compared to personal feelings.

As stated above there are only two legitimate choices and to abstain from voting altogether removes your moral entitlement to complain about the outcome.
Old 05-16-2023, 01:02 PM

I keep getting political messages from some guy named Outhouse in the UPC. Somehow the name seems appropriate.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 05-16-2023, 01:22 PM

Election should be postponed a couple months or until the fires get under control. Funny how all these little oil communities that are threatened by wildfires are going to get their votes in. The Liberal cesspools like Edm and Calgary sure as hell won’t have any problems getting theirs in. However, I think the communists are going to win either way. Being taxed to death obviously doesn’t fix stupid either.
Closed Thread