Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-15-2023, 06:29 PM

Default Purchasing extra tags July 14

So I purchased a couple of the new "first come first served" Class C tags without even knowing how they worked. I just received them in the mail and now am trying to figure it out and I noticed the following on the My Wild Alberta Special Harvest License webpage:

Anglers can purchase additional SHL licences starting July 14

- If you purchased Class C licences (up to 5 on first-come, first-served basis), you can purchase a Class A or a Class B licence too.

https://mywildalberta.ca/buy-licence...-licences.aspx

The "first come first served" Class C tags are not lake-specific, i.e. I can presumably use them on any of the Class C lakes identified on the webpage. Does this mean that if I buy a Class A or a Class B license on July 14, the Class A or Class B tag I get can also be used on any of the Class A or Class B lakes identified on the webpage? If so, seems like a bit of an end around to get tags for a fully subscribed lake.
Old 05-15-2023, 09:05 PM

When you purchase the license it is for a specific lake and can only be used at that particular lake. They cannot be used at another lake. The license will tell you which lake you bought it for.

If you buy more than one, you can always choose a different lake for the next license.

Did you order the blank tags by chance? Those they mail out by are just blank, and not a licence yet. Those you still need to go pay your $11 for each license.

Sent from my SM-A715W using Tapatalk
Old 05-15-2023, 09:10 PM

They will be lake specific. They did it last year for the first time. If not drawn for SHL in May anyone can purchase an undersubscribed licence until July 14 after which any remaining quota is opened up to those who were drawn as well. But only for a class other than what they were first drawn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-16-2023, 09:56 AM

Tags for fishing in lakes? I hope to never see that in my lifetime.
Old 05-16-2023, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worm View Post
Did you order the blank tags by chance? Those they mail out by are just blank, and not a licence yet. Those you still need to go pay your $11 for each license.

Sent from my SM-A715W using Tapatalk
I guess I must have done this - I am not really familiar with how the tag/draw system works, as I have only gotten drawn for tags once and it was over 10 years ago.

I did apply for a specific lake this year and, when I saw on my REALM app that I could purchase tags, I thought that meant I'd been drawn and now had to pay for the actual tags. I now understand that what I was buying were "blanks" and I didn't actually get drawn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Setter View Post
They will be lake specific. They did it last year for the first time. If not drawn for SHL in May anyone can purchase an undersubscribed licence until July 14 after which any remaining quota is opened up to those who were drawn as well. But only for a class other than what they were first drawn.

I definitely didn't designate a specific lake when I bought these blanks (the lake I entered the draw for doesn't have Class C tags and the blanks I got don't designate any lakes), so I assumed I could use them at any Class C lake between now and July 14, at which point I can also apparently buy Class A and Class B tags, but, also apparently, there are restrictions and rules about what lakes I can buy those Class A and Class B tags for.

It would sure be great if there was somewhere this was all explained.
Old 05-16-2023, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdbccb View Post
I guess I must have done this - I am not really familiar with how the tag/draw system works, as I have only gotten drawn for tags once and it was over 10 years ago.

I did apply for a specific lake this year and, when I saw on my REALM app that I could purchase tags, I thought that meant I'd been drawn and now had to pay for the actual tags. I now understand that what I was buying were "blanks" and I didn't actually get drawn.

I definitely didn't designate a specific lake when I bought these blanks (the lake I entered the draw for doesn't have Class C tags and the blanks I got don't designate any lakes), so I assumed I could use them at any Class C lake between now and July 14, at which point I can also apparently buy Class A and Class B tags, but, also apparently, there are restrictions and rules about what lakes I can buy those Class A and Class B tags for.

It would sure be great if there was somewhere this was all explained.
you don't pay for the green tags only to enter drawns and once you have been awarded you pay for the place you were drawn for and register the green tag number in the system.
Old 05-17-2023, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish99 View Post
you don't pay for the green tags only to enter drawns and once you have been awarded you pay for the place you were drawn for and register the green tag number in the system.
I think I've finally got this figured out - if you were drawn for a SHL, on May 9 you also got a "bonus" opportunity to buy an additional Class C SHL on a "first come first served" basis for the same lake (but only if that lake was listed as a "first come first served" Class C eligible lake).

And because none of this is properly explained on the Alberta SHL webpage, when on May 9 my REALM app offered me the option to buy tags (despite the fact I didn't get drawn), I bought some thinking I was actually buying one of the "first come first served" Class C SHLs, and not "blank" tags that are useless if I wasn't drawn and/or there are no "undersubscribed" lakes I'm interested in.

I think I'll write what I think of this whole fish management bureaucratic sh!& show on the blank tags I bought and stick them on the back of my WIN card and license when I hand it over to a fish cop. I'm also sending a $50 donation to Alberta Environment to hire a 12 year old kid to rewrite their idiotic SHL webpage so it actually explains all of this.
Old 05-17-2023, 08:30 AM

I call BS on this thread. Seems like another “tag haters” rant. There is no bonus round…lol!
And if there is any real legit to this post, please contact the issuers if the tags with your situation. You will get all the clarity you need.

Old 05-17-2023, 09:32 AM

the green tags are free no need to pay for them if you paid you purchased to retain a walleye at some lake . check your account at RELM .
Old 05-17-2023, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
I call BS on this thread. Seems like another “tag haters” rant. There is no bonus round…lol!
And if there is any real legit to this post, please contact the issuers if the tags with your situation. You will get all the clarity you need.

I ordered the tags when I paid for my regular license, so I guess I confused that payment with ordering the tags. That I got useless blank tags for free doesn't really change the narrative (i.e. the p8$$-poor information on SHLs, tags, "first come first served" SHLs, what actually happens on July 14, etc. on AE's SHL webpage). That I'd need to "contact the issuer" to "get all the clarity (I) need" kinda makes the same point, doncha think?
Old 05-20-2023, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdbccb View Post
I ordered the tags when I paid for my regular license, so I guess I confused that payment with ordering the tags. That I got useless blank tags for free doesn't really change the narrative (i.e. the p8$$-poor information on SHLs, tags, "first come first served" SHLs, what actually happens on July 14, etc. on AE's SHL webpage). That I'd need to "contact the issuer" to "get all the clarity (I) need" kinda makes the same point, doncha think?

No. I called to get clarifications. Posting on a forum will get you all kind of responses
If something actually went wrong in your case then I’m sure you will get the answers you need.