Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-29-2012, 07:24 PM

Default Draw Question(s)

Ok, been hunting since I can walk (with my dad) and it's my second year applying for a draw. This year I got drawn for antlerless elk. I have a few questions, may be obvious, but I haven't found the answers yet...

Do I have a choice wether to use my draw or not?
If I , say for whatever reason (work, etc) can't get out to my area during my draw season and haven't purchased my draw tag, can I just purchase a general elk tag?
If you can point me I the direction of some written info that would be appreciated too. I've looked (maybe not hard enough) through the draw book and haven't seen the answers I've been looking for.

Thanks for the info and help!!
Old 07-29-2012, 07:29 PM

At one time, you could have your draw canceled, and purchase a general tag, but in recent years, people that have attempted to do this have been turned away. I guess that the reasoning is, that since you kept someone else from drawing that tag, you shouldn't be allowed to waste the opportunity by canceling it to hunt with a general tag.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:47 PM

http://albertaregulations.ca/hunting...encecosts.html

SPECIAL LICENCES
If you are drawn for a special licence, your draw priority returns to zero and that draw cannot be cancelled. You may not be able to purchase a particular general licence once you have been drawn for a special licence of that same species. Example: if you are drawn for Antlered Mule Deer, Antlered White-tailed Deer or Antlered, Antlerless, or Calf Moose you will not be able to purchase a general licence for that species. If you are drawn for Either Sex Elk, WMU 300 Elk, Antlered or Antlerless Elk, you will not be able to purchase a general elk licence. Resident hunters are able to purchase an elk licence in combination with the WMU 212 Antlerless Elk Archery and the WMU 212 Antlerless Elk Special Licence. See licence combinations.

Last edited by deanmc; 07-29-2012 at 07:53 PM. Reason: I was wrong and corrected my response
Old 07-29-2012, 08:28 PM

Under additional information tab at the very bottom.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:01 PM

Okay maybe another dumb question lol, But along the same lines. Dean I checked the list and from what I can gather, I can still purchase a general whitetail, even though I pulled my antlerless tag?? If I pulled an antlered tag instead, I would not be able to purchase a general. Is this a right way of thinking??