Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 04-06-2015, 09:00 AM

Default nafa canadian dollar

see they converted it now on our accounts, makes a big difference I think it was 1.26
Old 04-06-2015, 09:25 AM

100$ marten average
91$ Lynx average
And a 194$ fisher
Old 04-06-2015, 12:32 PM

The exchange is a nice little bonus for sure, good for all exporters but a kick in the teeth for importing.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:41 PM
Banned

$99.54 average for coyotes. $.46 short of the $100 average that I had hoped for. Considering that I had a lot of shot dogs in the auction I'm happy with that. Glad to see the $1.26 exchange rate!
Old 04-06-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
$99.54 average for coyotes. $.46 short of the $100 average that I had hoped for. Considering that I had a lot of shot dogs in the auction I'm happy with that. Glad to see the $1.26 exchange rate!
The only shot dogs that I had that were discounted were 3 that a buddy shotgunned . You could see the pellet lines in the fur and they went as damaged at half price of the good ones , Marty was right , the buyers hate shotgunners .
Old 04-06-2015, 04:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
100$ marten average
91$ Lynx average
And a 194$ fisher
I never thought that Marten would be higher then Lynx. Is that normal?
Old 04-06-2015, 05:39 PM

Default USA exchange rate

NAFA gave away 2 of my coyotes for $5.oo each USA ....now it's $6.55 Cdn.,
I feel a whole lot better today !....yeah sure
Something smelled at this sale...
Old 04-06-2015, 06:06 PM

120 can avg on 35 Yotes...5 that I had no business sending brought down my average...really happy with what I got! Taking another bunch up to ATA for the next sale hopefully bill be as good
Old 04-06-2015, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaAl View Post
NAFA gave away 2 of my coyotes for $5.oo each USA ....now it's $6.55 Cdn.,
I feel a whole lot better today !....yeah sure
Something smelled at this sale...
It's in Nafa's best interest to get the most for your fur possible. Those coyotes must have graded very poorly. Maybe they were damaged in the drumming process? Did you have any sew jobs that could have opened up? Hopefully you were happy with the prices on the rest of your coyotes.

Good luck next year.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFNG View Post
It's in Nafa's best interest to get the most for your fur possible. Those coyotes must have graded very poorly. Maybe they were damaged in the drumming process? Did you have any sew jobs that could have opened up? Hopefully you were happy with the prices on the rest of your coyotes.

Good luck next year.
I had one yote with a sub-major sew job caused by Ravens...but it was a nice fur. Two others were minor damage caused during skinning or fleshing process.
I had over 30 sell in the 90-120 range so no complaints there. It's these cheapo's that bother me cause they were good lookn'.
I was really fussy having thrown out 40 yotes this season due to mange/mites/damage/low quality.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:46 PM

I've had a few grade damaged which left me wondering what happened also. I dont worry about it too much. It could been damaged any number of ways.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:56 PM

I had a beautiful snowball white coyote with red guard hair. Well furred and fully prime. It graded red and sold for 10 bucks, I should have known better and not shipped it to auction. I also had two others graded damaged and sold for 15 bucks each. Not sure what was up with that as they were no damaged coyotes in the lot I shipped. Not complaining as overall the prices were very good.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:20 PM
AO Sponsor

Damage is not limited to sew jobs, in fact in the samples, I don't think I found a single sew job in the DGD1, DGD2, or DGD3... Well maybe one, but I did go they them quite thoroughly. Sample was 10 of each type. I did find many sew jobs in the SDA and SDB lots tho.

Most of the coyotes in the DGD grades were from hair loss due to lice, burrs, rubs, and general bad weakness.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:05 AM

Cheques by the 22nd of April.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:50 AM

I had the worst average in 4 years this sale. $48USD had 4 sell for $9, I had one bad dog but certainly didn't feel my fur was that bad. The last 2 years I have averaged $110USD and $100USD. So not sure why things fell off the map so hard! Hopefully it improves next year.
Old 04-07-2015, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonerkiller View Post
I had the worst average in 4 years this sale. $48USD had 4 sell for $9, I had one bad dog but certainly didn't feel my fur was that bad. The last 2 years I have averaged $110USD and $100USD. So not sure why things fell off the map so hard! Hopefully it improves next year.
Looks like I wasn't the only guy surprised at the give-away prices on a few coyotes. I'm not angry - just disappointed and even got educated at the same time. Obviosuly any items with slighest damage, off color, small size, early item or less quality fur isn't going to NAFA in the future. There's other places to sell.
Old 04-07-2015, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonerkiller View Post
Looks like I wasn't the only guy surprised at the give-away prices on a few coyotes. I'm not angry - just disappointed and even got educated at the same time. Obviosuly any items with slighest damage, off color, small size, early item or less quality fur isn't going to NAFA in the future. There's other places to sell...why would I give-it-away for nothing.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:26 AM

Question nafa to canadian dollars

From reading peoples posts there has been some surprises. One I had was my summary on March 27th the day of the auction read about 3 fox I had in along with my coyotes . Stated all 3 sold with no buy backs . I checked this mourning & its stating now that only 2 fox sold & one buy back . Phoned NAFA in Winnipeg & talked to Mary there & she was surprised that the first read out stated all sold . She confirmed that one was held back & they had lots of fox bought back . She even told me she had a case of coyotes going for a dollar when actually they sold for a 100 dollars . Its making me wonder what's the point of following the auction, hearing of what the furs are selling for & the print out is stating this on your account . ? I know mistakes can be made for inputs but when you are hearing the auctioneer saying sold & your accounts are stating the same that is good enough for me . This is a little concerning & maybe a little more quality control is needed . Just my 2 cents
Old 04-08-2015, 11:48 AM

I'll put in my 2 cents. I thought I would do better this sale than last. I had no early dogs in it at all. I did have some damaged one which I expected but my overall average was way less than the first sale and with what I thought more prime and better dogs. I will make some changes for next year and I was o.k with what I got this year but I feel the grading sometimes can be up and down on one sale to the next but what do I know and will just keep chuggin along and doing the best I can.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:06 PM
Banned

Not sure what happened with your fox, Whitetail, but I had fur sell after they didn't sell in the auction, the opposite of what you described. WRT the coyotes that were listed in the catalogue as selling for $1 that actually sold for $100.......During the live broadcast of the auction those 2 lots sold for $100 but for some reason they entered $1 in the catalogue.

I think that the best thing to do is to watch the auction live if you can and believe what you see and hear for yourself. Data entered is subject to human error and mistakes can be made.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:45 PM

Ill write down my lot numbers and follow the sale word for word and write down the price when the hammer falls.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:14 PM

Smile Nafa Auction

Yes Dave I agree human error can apply & mistakes can be made . Like King rat was saying writing down numbers follow sale . I followed sale , wrote down numbers & actually printed them off along with prices. Hopefully June sale it will move along with the rats I have in . Well nube said it , just have to keep chugging along .
Old 04-12-2015, 09:59 AM

I cant complain on Coyote prices (and exchange!) as I got $139.37 average. This includes ALL damaged - everything!

Fox on the other hand were pretty disappointing. $32.09 avg on real nice collection of foxes. At least half were #1's/SEL ... sure miss the prices of 2 years ago on Fox.