Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-06-2010, 02:16 AM

Default Stocking Triploid Rainbows in a Dugout

We have a large and deep dugout that we used to stock with Rainbows about 10 years ago but haven't since. I got thinking about these Triploid Rainbows after reading about the guys pulling huge ones out of Lake Diefenbaker. I checked Ackenberry Trout Farms website and it looks like they sell Triploids as well. Does anybody know how much weight they would pack on in a year or two with a good supply of food???
Old 06-06-2010, 07:37 AM

The growth rate is the same as diploids for the first few years. Where they excell is when they reach spawning age. The advantage of a triploid is that they won't waste energy and to try spawning which wastes time and energy producing eggs and milt. They can just keep eating and growing. If you search it Brian chan does a way better job of describing it
Wayne
Old 06-06-2010, 09:42 AM

Thanks waynep. I understand the whole triploid process but I didn't realize that they would grow at the same rate until spawning age. It definitely makes sense though.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:51 AM

Are the fish able to overwinter in the dugout? If yes, go with the triploids.

I have purchased triploids rainbows and grass carp from Ackenberry. It is so much better having clean (non spawning) trout to catch and eat year round. You will see the difference in year two or three after stocking.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:53 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynep View Post
The growth rate is the same as diploids for the first few years. Where they excell is when they reach spawning age. The advantage of a triploid is that they won't waste energy and to try spawning which wastes time and energy producing eggs and milt. They can just keep eating and growing. If you search it Brian chan does a way better job of describing it
Wayne
I agree.

I just completed a 10 000 dollar workover/cleanout on my dugout. Ive been putting it off for 5 years, finally biting the bullet and getting it done. No bear hunting, and no Walleye Trail for me this year.... Beginning of May I put in 30, 2.5 to 3 pounders, and 200 8-10 inch, all trip's. Pretty extensive feeding program trying to get as many through cormorant season and into size range where I dont have to worry next summer. I will reevaluate next spring and prob get 100 brookies. This pond is BIG though, and in excess of 20 feet deep with a monster airation system. Growth on the 30 2.5 to 3 pounders in 1 month has been very noticable. Upwards of 2 inches in length, and are filling out to be massive. Good width increase and deepened right out. Im guessing on the agressive feeders, out of the big ones I have seen nearly 1 pound of growth in 1 month. No question Im hitting peak growth rates, even on the 8-10 inchers, just dont notice it on the smaller ones so much, though you can see progress. I guess for every 2.5 lbs of feed, you should see 1lb of growth. Lord knows whats going to be in there by september, but im guessing the big guys will be around 5 pounds, and the more aggressive ones may be pushing a hair more. The 8-10's should be in the neighborhood of 16 inches by the same time. By year three, my trout should be in around the 15 POUND MARK!!! BRING IT ON!!!! You will notice variations in growth rates between individual fish, like I said, some are simply more agressive than others, so dont worry about straglers, they are just fine. Have fun!

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 06-06-2010, 05:37 PM
Gone Hunting

I believe that a "manipulated" fish does not look quite like a "normal" rainbow.

Just like those big white turkeys that grow faster and bigger that regular bronze turkeys.

I like to catch a rainbow that has the nice coloration of a rainbow trout. Even if it is not quite of monster proportions.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 06-06-2010, 07:21 PM

Thanks packhuntr, you've just sealed the deal and cost me some more money with your talk of 15 pounders! Our dugout is about 1.5x the size of a normal one and about 16' deep so pretty decent. I know they push for stocking early as possible but if the farms have any left (would they), could a person still stock say in a couple weeks? Would just have to wait for my rec license since we let it expire when we quit stocking... If all else fails I guess I will just have to wait for next spring. I would imagine the triploids are a little more expensive considering the extra handling?
Old 06-06-2010, 09:38 PM

Rainbow trout convert feed, (pellets at minimum 30% protein) at a rate of about 10:1. So 10lbs feed for one pound growth. When water temps get below 50f, growth basically stops, meaning little to no growth for six months of the year. One pound of growth in one month is unusual for any strain. 15 lbs in three years is also unusual. It would be interesting to monitor these fish with accurate growth record keeping, i.e weighing, measuring and tagging individuals. I am not calling bs on packhuntr, just commenting on his results as unusual.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:52 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy4 View Post
I believe that a "manipulated" fish does not look quite like a "normal" rainbow.

Just like those big white turkeys that grow faster and bigger that regular bronze turkeys.

I like to catch a rainbow that has the nice coloration of a rainbow trout. Even if it is not quite of monster proportions.
My trip's look no different than any dip youve ever caught Duffy. Beautiful color, hard fighters, not much difference, and Id bet you couldnt tell the difference. Your right though, they aint gonna look normal when I have the biggest ones knocking on 20lbs!! All this and only 40 yards from my porch. Watching huns, pheasant, whitetails and mules etc etc while the rod is bent and screaming 70 yards to the far end with a hog on is right up my alley!!

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 06-06-2010, 09:56 PM

Hey wes I heard about your stocked pond you were setting up. Maybe if I know I am gonna be in the area I will have to get a hold of you and see if we can chuck a fly for a bit at them.

Nate
Old 06-06-2010, 09:57 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood1 View Post
Rainbow trout convert feed, (pellets at minimum 30% protein) at a rate of about 10:1. So 10lbs feed for one pound growth. When water temps get below 50f, growth basically stops, meaning little to no growth for six months of the year. One pound of growth in one month is unusual for any strain. 15 lbs in three years is also unusual. It would be interesting to monitor these fish with accurate growth record keeping, i.e weighing, measuring and tagging individuals. I am not calling bs on packhuntr, just commenting on his results as unusual.
Ya, that is the case, believe it or not! There are about 5 out of the 30 that have simply exploded. Its unreal. BTW, better believe it that guys are getting 15 lbs on 3 year olds. Im hopeing that mine do the same! Gonna find out.

Keep a strain on er
Old 06-06-2010, 09:58 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
Hey wes I heard about your stocked pond you were setting up. Maybe if I know I am gonna be in the area I will have to get a hold of you and see if we can chuck a fly for a bit at them.

Nate
Hey Nathan. Ya, if your coming through let me know. They like flies man!

Keep a strain on er
Old 06-06-2010, 10:02 PM

We have some 4 year old triploids in the neighborhood that are pushing 14lb. I would say the average is around 9lb. Three year olds about 7lb.
Your pond is going to be a fun place to fish. Huge fish on a dry fly is great fun.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:02 PM
Gone Hunting

Wood1, you sound like you are fairly with it on this whole aquaculture thing. What might be more normal growths be? Is that what Im seeing with the majority of the 30 2.5 to 3 lbr's? They are growing at differing rates, again, some slower than others, but some are simply something else all together.

Keep a strain on er
Old 06-07-2010, 12:56 PM

I would hate to guess, too many variables, but I would be very happy with 2-3 lbs per year. I have not had good luck with triploids myself, they over-winter fine but won't make it past August. You are right about some trout growing way faster than others, aggression (being first to the feed) and genetics play a role. I would be interested in what aeration system you purchased and what type of turnover rate you are getting.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:12 PM

I am interested in this thread:
I have a small lake in front of my house that is about 300 X 300 metres, and about 20-25 ft deep. I dont own the lake (not my land). Can someone just get a licence and stock it or do I have to contact the "owner", being Parkland County, and get permission, or what is the process. Also would i need an airator of sorts for a lake that big?

this is all new to me, and i am looking for any info. thanks!
Old 06-07-2010, 03:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBBERDUCKY View Post
I am interested in this thread:
I have a small lake in front of my house that is about 300 X 300 metres, and about 20-25 ft deep. I dont own the lake (not my land). Can someone just get a licence and stock it or do I have to contact the "owner", being Parkland County, and get permission, or what is the process. Also would i need an airator of sorts for a lake that big?

this is all new to me, and i am looking for any info. thanks!
Stocking can only be done on Privately owned land. So no you won't be able to stock county land with fish.
http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex3487
Old 06-07-2010, 05:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
Stocking can only be done on Privately owned land. So no you won't be able to stock county land with fish.
http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex3487
well...there are ways to do it. a permit is necessary. if you are serious and are willing to fund it (its very expensive) it is possible. pm me if you have questions.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:35 PM

Could I use a small 110V diffuser aeration system (3.5-5 amp) ran through a power inverter from a 12 or 24V battery and solar panel system? You would probably really have to overdue it with panels for there to be enough power throughout the winter or no??? I plan on building a little shack that everything could be housed in if I could make it work.

The reason I ask is that the dugout is over half a mile from power and our last koenders wind mill was a POS and don't want to go that route again.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:23 PM

Default Monster trout

I was looking through threads and spotted this one and wonder whats happening with these fish.
Ive had different dugouts stocked over the last 30 yrs and Im wondering how big these fish are this spring???????
SST
Old 05-14-2011, 07:10 AM
Gone Hunting

Hey there, guessing your asking about my rainbows. The avg of the big ones are right at about 6-7lbs, some big ones have excelled and are getting into cranker material. The small ones are mostly all right around 2.5 to 3 lbs and average 16 to 18 inch, but afew are lagging behind. Some have excelled and are slammers in comparison to thier peers. Almost 50 lbs of feed in them already this spring since ice off. Aquatic bugs/feed is coming along great, some of the transplanted insects etc are showing signs of presence this spring. Have a bunch of brookies coming and a batch of diploid bows, going to summer them in cages off the end of the dock in about 8 feet of water. Feed them out then dump them. Its been a lot of fun thats for sure! We dont need to invest 100 dollars in fuel and everything else everytime we get the urge for a day trip to get our azzes kicked by some trout anymore, thats been a big bonus. Just walk 70 yards out to the picnic tables and fire pit and get comfortable!

Keep a strain on er

Last edited by packhuntr; 05-14-2011 at 07:21 AM.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:25 PM

Default another dugout ready to stock

I'm just wondering as Ive had many different dugouts stocked and for some reason Ive had them grow for 3 yrs and get to about 12.5 to 14 pounds and then they start to die of and Ive never had anyone explain to me as to why.
A provincial biologist told me several years ago that if they grow at a fast rate it seems like the life expectancy becomes short.
I had a big dugout dug three years ago and its finally full due to the amount of snow we finally got and I'm planning on stocking this spring and wondering about feeding them or not...... not feeding them would slow down the growth rate and they may last longer is what I'm thinking.
This dug out is pretty big and is 30+ feet deep I still have to set up aeration on it and in a bit of a quandary as to which way to go....
no power on site limits it to solar or wind but I know driving air 30+ deep requires a good system.
SST
Old 05-14-2011, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
I agree.

I just completed a 10 000 dollar workover/cleanout on my dugout. Ive been putting it off for 5 years, finally biting the bullet and getting it done. No bear hunting, and no Walleye Trail for me this year.... Beginning of May I put in 30, 2.5 to 3 pounders, and 200 8-10 inch, all trip's. Pretty extensive feeding program trying to get as many through cormorant season and into size range where I dont have to worry next summer. I will reevaluate next spring and prob get 100 brookies. This pond is BIG though, and in excess of 20 feet deep with a monster airation system. Growth on the 30 2.5 to 3 pounders in 1 month has been very noticable. Upwards of 2 inches in length, and are filling out to be massive. Good width increase and deepened right out. Im guessing on the agressive feeders, out of the big ones I have seen nearly 1 pound of growth in 1 month. No question Im hitting peak growth rates, even on the 8-10 inchers, just dont notice it on the smaller ones so much, though you can see progress. I guess for every 2.5 lbs of feed, you should see 1lb of growth. Lord knows whats going to be in there by september, but im guessing the big guys will be around 5 pounds, and the more aggressive ones may be pushing a hair more. The 8-10's should be in the neighborhood of 16 inches by the same time. By year three, my trout should be in around the 15 POUND MARK!!! BRING IT ON!!!! You will notice variations in growth rates between individual fish, like I said, some are simply more agressive than others, so dont worry about straglers, they are just fine. Have fun!
thats crazy good luck breaking the 20lb mark in year 5

Tags
rainbow trout, triploid