Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 04-04-2015, 09:47 PM

Default MB 750 wolf for beaver

I have been asked to take out a bunch of beaver and my beaver legholds aren't here yet. Has anyone used mb 750 wolf (offset, laminated) on beavers. I have a bunch and have prepped a half dozen for that purpose.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:59 AM

that's what the mb750 started out as a beaver trap so it will work fine
Old 04-05-2015, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallydog View Post
that's what the mb750 started out as a beaver trap so it will work fine
X2 !!! They work great
Old 04-05-2015, 09:16 AM

I was going to buy some Wolfers this year and use them dual purpose for wolf when I am out on the line for any lenght of time and also for beaver. Then I also thought this might not be a good idea. If you catch a beaver I imagine that the trap will be scented up and hard to get rid of the scent. It might lead to a wolf digging up a trap. Is this something to be worried about? Maybe I would just have to boil them again but boiling them might take some of their spring from them and weaken them if boiled a lot. Just some thoughts I had but not really sure if they are things to be concerned about or not?
Old 04-05-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
I was going to buy some Wolfers this year and use them dual purpose for wolf when I am out on the line for any lenght of time and also for beaver. Then I also thought this might not be a good idea. If you catch a beaver I imagine that the trap will be scented up and hard to get rid of the scent. It might lead to a wolf digging up a trap. Is this something to be worried about? Maybe I would just have to boil them again but boiling them might take some of their spring from them and weaken them if boiled a lot. Just some thoughts I had but not really sure if they are things to be concerned about or not?
Boiling them won't weaken them nube. The temperature when boiled doesn't get hot enough to displace the steel molecules and weaken the memory of the shape.
Baking soda and pine branches in the water will remove any scent, although I'm still not a fan of the MB750's for wolves when there are better options out there.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
Boiling them won't weaken them nube. The temperature when boiled doesn't get hot enough to displace the steel molecules and weaken the memory of the shape.
Baking soda and pine branches in the water will remove any scent, although I'm still not a fan of the MB750's for wolves when there are better options out there.
K thanks Tork. I am planning on getting a few of these this year to try out but I plan on going to the Bridger #9. I just got too many expenses this year getting stuff for the line to buy a bunch of #9's this year is all and the 750's can be used in a few other applications other than for just wolves. I might find I don't spend long enough up there to bother with legholds either so I may abandon the idea all together later on anyways. Will be mostly using snares this year for wolves
Old 04-05-2015, 01:55 PM

I am just getting back into wolves and found a smoking hot deal on 750's so I bought them. Depending on how access and animal traffic goes, I will be investing in #9's or Beer traps next season. I just look at the offset and wonder about pull outs if I snag a beaver's front foot. The traps I ordered for beaver are all straight jaw and its been awhile since I have used anything other than 330's for them. Thanks for your responses.
Old 04-05-2015, 03:05 PM

Set for a back foot catch. IMO you will have trouble holding a beaver by the front foot in an off set. 750's are THE beaver trap, the is no equal IMO. You will also need to get the poundage correct on the pan so you don't pick up any rats or waterfowl.

Spruce
Old 04-05-2015, 08:22 PM

Thats what I thought, the gap is pretty big but I am setting tomorrow and my beaver steel isn't here yet so they get a couple 750s. I am a bit rusty at legholds for beaver and used to use #4's. Now I am going to #5's as I like a big trap but don't want to paint up a half dozen brand new 750's that will be used to wolf next year.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spruce View Post
Set for a back foot catch. IMO you will have trouble holding a beaver by the front foot in an off set. 750's are THE beaver trap, the is no equal IMO. You will also need to get the poundage correct on the pan so you don't pick up any rats or waterfowl.

Spruce
X2 on the back foot. Although in a drowning set there's enough movement in the line I doubt the beaver would be able to pull a front foot out either before he dies.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:06 AM

I have used 750's for years and love them. They are a little finger unfriendly when trying to get the pan set but if any part of a beavers foot gets caught I t isn't getting away. Have caught many in my drown set with just a pinched toe. Minnesota trap company has a new trap out for beaver with a 8 1/2 inch jaw spread for beaver, it's called a Ts-85. Talked to them the other day and was told that a lot of trappers are going to this trap. It is dogless and doesn't way as much. More holding power because of new spring system and larger jaw spread. Have calls into F&W and the fur institute to see if legal in my area but their not in a hurry to respond. If I read things right this trap is legal is set a drown set. Anyone else out there with any info or feedback about this trap?
Old 04-06-2015, 10:11 PM

CDR 7.5 are suppose to be the best there is..
Old 04-07-2015, 07:19 PM

I hear the Cdr is awesome as well, I just was able to get a bunch of #5's on their way first at a good price. I am not a huge fan of water trapping but its a favour to a landowner who is letting me trap wolf on his property so it was important I get in and get it done with what I had in my mostly canine specific inventory while there is still some prime on the pelts. Next week a bunch more 330's and 280's are going in with the #5's. Now I just need to try and keep the canada geese out of the crossovers.