Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-20-2016, 11:18 AM

Default Question for Trollers-How much space?

Hey all

When I fish lakes I tend to anchor down and work the water. Plenty of folks troll on the lakes I go to. Over the last few years it seems I can't spend a day on the water without a boat or two trolling right threw my kitchen. And by that I mean 20' or less. Quite often I am pulling my line out of their way and having to change where I am casting to.

I thought it was pretty common knowledge that you should make a decent effort to go around a stationary boat (I am not anchored in any channels) and leave the distance of approx a good cast between the two boats. Maybe I am off in thinking this.

This is not happening on crowded lakes either but in places where there is a ton of space. As a contrast, this weekend I had one boat get so close I could read the small writing on one dude's shirt as he putted by in his gas powered aluminum.....and yet two guys in float tubes (powered by flippers!)took the time to go well around me.

Mention how close they are and you get attitude. WTH is wrong with people?
Old 06-20-2016, 11:35 AM
Banned

Im finding that alot of people have the self entitled mentality and ZERO respect. Just like people's kids walking threw my campsite like it's no issue. Give your head a shake and have some respect
Old 06-20-2016, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophybook View Post
Im finding that alot of people have the self entitled mentality and ZERO respect. Just like people's kids walking threw my campsite like it's no issue. Give your head a shake and have some respect
I have more tolerance for kids. Big deal.

As to the OP's problem. just remain calm, cast right into their boat. Smile. Wave.
Old 06-20-2016, 12:21 PM

Default Trollers

Why would you go fishing in my lake I fished it long before you it's mine lol I just fish naked everybody usually gives me a wide birth
Old 06-20-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post

Casting deliberately into someones boat may cause damage / injury and result in a bigger problem for you.
Agreed. I wasn't being serious.
Old 06-20-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokey75 View Post
Hey all

Mention how close they are and you get attitude. WTH is wrong with people?
I would suggest you continue to comment to those who don't provide the appropriate space. If you don't say anything, they will continue. If you do say something, make sure it ISN'T confrontational or as rude as the behavior they display. "Crabs in the bucket" mentality breeds more poor behavior. State it as factual and respectful as can be.

If you as the person witnessing the poor behavior let it go by without comment, I think that becomes, or at least contributes to the continuation of the problem.

I think (or at least hope), that if you do state your point, you would feel better about it, and hope they will eventually get the point.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetiseeker View Post
I would suggest you continue to comment to those who don't provide the appropriate space. If you don't say anything, they will continue. If you do say something, make sure it ISN'T confrontational or as rude as the behavior they display.
My comment this past weekend was "Hey man.....that's a little close don't you think?"

Was met with a silent glare and another drive by a little later.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
People are inconsiderate, but also it's not "your kitchen" because you were there first.

How about just casting the other side of your boat until they passed, and then when gone, you can return to where you were casting before. The irritation to you will be gone shortly. It's not like they're static like you.

Casting deliberately into someones boat may cause damage / injury and result in a bigger problem for you.

Also bear in mind it might not be deliberate, they could be trolling a particular depth, or be trying to turn gradually without tangling multiple lines. It could also be you've parked yourself in a prime trolling circuit. Or maybe they troll there regularly and consider it theirs, just like you do :-)
Agree with a bunch of what you say.

My question is then....how much space would YOU say is appropriate? if I am parked in a "prime spot" is a respectable amount of space still too much to ask? Or is it a case of getting what I deserve for being there?
Old 06-20-2016, 01:10 PM

Quote:
My comment this past weekend was "Hey man.....that's a little close don't you think?"

Was met with a silent glare and another drive by a little later.
Good job - you stated your point, but didn't belittle yourself by being rude.

If the guy gets enough comments, hopefully he'll learn one day. With that said, some people take a longer than others to catch on.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:15 PM

seems like a prime opportunity to say good morning...and have a chat with a fellow fisherman about fishing.

if lines dont get tangled...and you are friendly with eachother....its not too close IMO

Keep in mind i tournament fish...and rub'n is race'n!!
Old 06-20-2016, 01:46 PM

Quote:
People are inconsiderate, but also it's not "your kitchen" because you were there first.

How about just casting the other side of your boat until they passed, and then when gone, you can return to where you were casting before. The irritation to you will be gone shortly. It's not like they're static like you.

Also bear in mind it might not be deliberate, they could be trolling a particular depth, or be trying to turn gradually without tangling multiple lines. It could also be you've parked yourself in a prime trolling circuit. Or maybe they troll there regularly and consider it theirs, just like you do :-)
X2 I agree.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:48 PM

Now if I have been trolling an area for a while and someone anchors in my trolling lane, shouldn't they have to move when I come by? Just asking.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:00 PM

If you could cast a spoon in to their boat then they are way too close. No excuse for them to troll that close to you. I personally would bomb a cast out behind them and tangle all the lines up then they could learn that trolling too close means down time for everybody. the whole lake is out there with acres and acres to fish and they have to slide up that close? That's rude and inconsiderate in my opinion. I mean would it be alright for a guy to come along and set up his tree stand in the next tree over from you on the same game trail? No, so why be a goof and do it on the water, give the other boat and fisherman some respect and give them a wide berth and when well clear of them swing back in and troll your preferred depth contour. How easy is that!
Old 06-20-2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benamen View Post
Now if I have been trolling an area for a while and someone anchors in my trolling lane, shouldn't they have to move when I come by? Just asking.
Fair question. But if your trolling lane is a massive circuit around the perimeter of the lake how would the person anchoring know that. Pretty hard to know where a boat might go or be going.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Fair question. But if your trolling lane is a massive circuit around the perimeter of the lake how would the person anchoring know that. Pretty hard to know where a boat might go or be going.
So how long of a lease does someone anchoring have on a spot. Maybe they should give it up after a half hour or so, just as a person trolling does? Got to be considerate both ways you know.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:15 PM

Quote:
No, the right thing to do is steer clear and give them a wide berth. If you are under power and they are anchored you have to go around giving enough clearance so as not to interfere with any anchor lines which are out of view and fishing lines that may or may not be present. Most people are out fishing for a nice peaceful relaxing time to enjoy the outdoors, get away from their busy lives, enjoy some tranquility and the cherry on top is to catch a few fish so let's be courteous to that and Not run right up on top of people is my opinion.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:26 PM

But thats what I had been doing up until someone parked in my trolling lane that I had programmed into my trolling motor that I was running .5 mph with. Nice and tranquil until someone dropped themselves into my spot.
So the question has to be asked again, how long of a lease does someone have to an anchor spot if they want to be respectful of another's person's right to fish that same spot.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:50 PM

Pretty simple question. All boils down to respect. Showed up at Mulhurst the other day just to find someone yanking fish left and right out of my honey hole. We anchored a couple hundred yards away and caught fish, waiting till he left to slide in there. Not a big deal.
Trolling is no different. Give folks the space you would want if you were in their shoes. Even if that means changing course a bit to avoid them. If someone comes a little close, it's nothing to lose sleep over.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:50 PM

Don't ever enter a SAWT tournament that's for sure.
Old 06-20-2016, 04:23 PM

Plain and simple....if you're trolling, you are under power and therefore must yield and avoid any anchored craft regardless if they just anchored up in your trolling path. The only exceptions I have ever witnessed would be out on the salt when those googan commercial fishing boats who really don't give a rip for anyone's safety and would rather sink you in a small vessel just lay on their horns rather than alter their course. Those guys are too much, very dangerous
Old 06-20-2016, 04:34 PM

Quote:
So how long of a lease does someone anchoring have on a spot. Maybe they should give it up after a half hour or so, just as a person trolling does? Got to be considerate both ways you know.
Thats pretty much how I fish. Work a spot for a bit and then move 30-40yards and anchor down again. Now chances are I am just moving down the shoreline and staying at more or less the same depth. I have moved spots but I wouldn't say I have moved out of a pathway. Where does that leave the two boats then?
Old 06-20-2016, 04:41 PM

Okay. I always try to steer clear of an anchored boat.

So how long should it be before you leave a spot? I guess when I troll, I will have to anchor with my electric trolling motor beside another anchored boat and then move to the other side and anchor again before trolling on.
That should be ok then. I promise not to hog any spot that I am anchored at for more than 30 minutes.
Old 06-20-2016, 05:33 PM

My uncle will sometimes troll in between the masses because they are anchored up on the top of the dropoff. We catch fish in front of people who haven't caught anything all day it seems. We usually never go within casting distance though.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:42 PM

Quote:
But thats what I had been doing up until someone parked in my trolling lane that I had programmed into my trolling motor that I was running .5 mph with. Nice and tranquil until someone dropped themselves into my spot.
So the question has to be asked again, how long of a lease does someone have to an anchor spot if they want to be respectful of another's person's right to fish that same spot.
14 days then it gets toad.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 06-20-2016 at 06:47 PM.
Old 06-20-2016, 07:00 PM

Default Question for Trollers-How much space?

I've been on both sides of this. I've been anchored on a spot and had guys troll within 10' of me. Mentioned something and got hostile looks.

The flip side is I was trolling a line with my kids, (4 lines out with kids is an ordeal in and of itself) when two jack wagons came flying across the lake, pull in directly in front of me at 30 yards and toss anchor. I gave them a "what the heck" shrug and they came unglued on me. Started hurling profanity like you wouldn't believe. I started to get into it with them and then realized I had my kids watching so decided to take the high road. Reeled in and left before something serious happened.

I also water ski a lot and have been on both sides of that too. If someone is anchored in a calm bay, I avoid. But if I'm already skiing in there and you choose to anchor where it's obvious I have been running you better not get upset by the waves and us continuing.

As in all things, respect goes unnoticed but a lack of respect ruins everyone's day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 06-20-2016, 07:17 PM

When I was younger and scrappyer I did a real nice side arm cast with a lead jig and bounced it off the side of a glass boat. Owner was a little ticked - I just said I was sorry and did not realize he was that close to where I was fishing

Dodger.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:44 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

I think you out things all into perspective when out fishing, if your one of those guys that goes where the boats are then when others see you catching then everyone migrates over there, don't know if it is a fish magnet or arse magnet but either way you picked that decision or you were sitting/catching and the boats show up well I leave not worth wrecking a day on the water being all upset etc
However I was out over the last few days, marked the bait fish, marked fish around it just were the water went from 80 feet to 100 feet, a 100 yard drop and there was about 10 boats all making passes through that area, fish were being caught, room was made by the other boats so they could fight and land the fish, it was tight and if a boat got out of sequence lines would have been crossed but it was a dance, spacing, timing all in synch, even had a few drifting and jigging too, no issues but I believe all were seasoned vets, no butt holes, however throw in one hot head or rookie and it could have been a mess but I had a choice to stay or leave, that mature crowd had us joining the trolling dance

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-21-2016, 07:08 AM

Quote:
It's not like other boats know what you have "programmed" into your trolling motor and there is no time limit for someone to be anchored. It is safe to say they won't be there ALL day but they have the rite to be there if they choose to.

I don't agree with someone speeding ahead to cut you off and get there first but if I pulled in after you left to set up shop and stayed there for the rest of the day, then the next time you came around you would simply have to take a slightly wider turn and go around.

Maybe you could catch something you normally wouldn't have because of me.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsboy79 View Post
It's not like other boats know what you have "programmed" into your trolling motor and there is no time limit for someone to be anchored. It is safe to say they won't be there ALL day but they have the rite to be there if they choose to.

I don't agree with someone speeding ahead to cut you off and get there first but if I pulled in after you left to set up shop and stayed there for the rest of the day, then the next time you came around you would simply have to take a slightly wider turn and go around.

Maybe you could catch something you normally wouldn't have because of me.
The question asked by the OP was how side is slightly wider. The person in question obviously went slightly wider as the boats did not collide. How close is too close. I certainly have been on both sides of it and for me now as long as the lines don't tangle I guess all things are good. Though I must say I do prefer more room and don't like fishing in crowds.

As for the person who would like to cast and tangle lines well when I troll many times I have 50-80 pound braid and 85 pound leaders on so probably won't be me loosing that battle.
Old 06-27-2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
The question asked by the OP was how side is slightly wider. The person in question obviously went slightly wider as the boats did not collide. How close is too close. I certainly have been on both sides of it and for me now as long as the lines don't tangle I guess all things are good. Though I must say I do prefer more room and don't like fishing in crowds.

As for the person who would like to cast and tangle lines well when I troll many times I have 50-80 pound braid and 85 pound leaders on so probably won't be me loosing that battle.
Actually the post I was replying to was talking about how long someone can put up shop in his "spot".

And in my opinion there is no such thing is "my spot" on a lake, it's first come first served, early bird gets the worm and countless other cliches.

As for the how close is too close ... no tangle no foul, but common courtesy would dictate a wider birth. The problem there is courtesy is not as common as it used to be.