Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-21-2016, 01:48 PM

Default Hiking in with your float tube?

I'm curious to know how you guys / gals who hike in to lakes with your float tube pack them in?

I have an old backpack frame that I strap my boat too, inflated, but sometimes it's a little too bulky on some of the trails. Do most of you deflate your tubes and pack them up in a duffel bag or similar? I'm just looking for a few new ideas as my new Fish Cat 4 is bigger and heavier than my old Caddis tire tube belly boat.

What about the rest of your gear (waders, fins, etc.? As I mentioned, I used to pack in my boat inflated, but carrier the rest of my gear in something similar to a hockey bag. Is there a better way you can recommend?
Old 06-21-2016, 02:34 PM

I've only hiked in once with my float tube (also an old Caddis tube style) up to Lillian Lake. I was up there for 3 or 4 nights and just added the waders/fins to my pack. I kept the tube filled and strapped it to the back of my pack but only because I didn't want to spend hours filling it up with my little hand held bike pump. A CO2 inflator might be just the ticket for something like this. It was not fun hiking up with the tube inflated.

It was worth it though, I was the only one fishing in the middle of the lake. On the second day a scout troop arrived and they had very little success fishing from shore while I was hooking one almost every cast!!!
Old 06-21-2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
I'm curious to know how you guys / gals who hike in to lakes with your float tube pack them in?

I have an old backpack frame that I strap my boat too, inflated, but sometimes it's a little too bulky on some of the trails. Do most of you deflate your tubes and pack them up in a duffel bag or similar? I'm just looking for a few new ideas as my new Fish Cat 4 is bigger and heavier than my old Caddis tire tube belly boat.

What about the rest of your gear (waders, fins, etc.? As I mentioned, I used to pack in my boat inflated, but carrier the rest of my gear in something similar to a hockey bag. Is there a better way you can recommend?
This sounds horrible ... I wish I was in good enough shape to even consider it.

But thinking about it and depending on the trail itself I would try a "grocery" dolly. Something with larger wheels or the three wheeled variety and simply pull it behind me with or without a pack on my back.

But if you're scrambling up a hill or going through woods with trees down or something obviously this would not be the best option.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:10 PM

The tube I own works great for backpacking as the only way to inflate is to blow up with mouth power inflates fairly quick as well, cannot even hook to any type of pump i believe its a caddis as well. I like it but hiking in would be basically the only time I would use a float tube so I never worry about filling it up with my breath but would get old quick if it was my only boat!!
Old 06-22-2016, 09:14 AM

My belly boat gets deflated and rolled down tightly and place at the bottom of an internal frame backpack. Waders roll down, go on top of it, followed by the vest and jackets. Net slides down along the back panel. Fins strap onto the back of the pack. Rod tube and pump go under the side compression straps on either side of the pack. This all fits into a 50L daypack for daytrips, or even more easily into the expedition bag, with plenty of room for camping gear and food for an overnighter or multiday trip.

In the past, I've used a full size bicycle floor pump to inflate my tube once I'm at the lake. This took 10 minutes on the spot, timed. It unfortunately wouldn't work if your tube has anything other than a standard schraeder valve without some sort of significant McGuyvering of adaptors. I now have a double-action airpump which will inflate through all kinds of valves. It is a little bulkier, but in the end, it's actually lighter than the bicycle floor pump. It'll inflate the biggest of float tubes in about 2 minutes. I think it came from Cabela's for something like 25 bucks. Money well spent by my friend who gifted it to me. He said it was the last one though. I think the kite surfing folks use these same sort of pumps, so you could probably get one at Mueller Windsports or some specialty place, probably for a lot more than 25$.

HK
Old 06-22-2016, 01:13 PM

Default my setup

I don't deflate, mind you the places I hike to I don't need to. They're always <5 km in length and wide trails. The photo below is of my old set-up

My fishing stuff is in the centre of the donut in a small sack and is held in place by the apron. The rods/net are across the tube.

My new set-up, I have a standard backpack full of my fishing stuff which I carry on my chest and my pontube is strapped to my back with some straps. It's very 'balanced' this way, but you can't see your feet.

I have also tried strapping the tube to a metal-framed backpack and shoving my stuff in there, but I found it hard on the back as it was quite inflexible.
Old 06-23-2016, 11:35 AM

Old 06-27-2016, 11:36 AM

I just bought a float tube and I wish that I had bought one earlier...I'm looking forward to my first hike in to a lake!
Old 06-27-2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badback View Post
I just bought a float tube and I wish that I had bought one earlier...I'm looking forward to my first hike in to a lake!
It's my favorite style of fishing... hike into a nice lake with a tube, and make everyone stuck on shore wish they had a tube too lol.