Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-07-2023, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Guy View Post
Ok.. finally an explaination that makes some sense...
If I was an accountant or someone who still has his grade 3 report card then I'd be more than happy to keep sticking my un-used tags on the cabinet, knowing that the history of my un-used 2003 paper tag is filed somewhere so that some government official can review it...
LOL! Yup - and from a computing/data management perspective, they just don't like to "delete" a data record once it's created... Just expire it or mark it as no longer valid. The way of the world, nowadays...
Old 12-07-2023, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrass View Post
Remember these? !
Can I still use mine next year?
Old 12-07-2023, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
Can I still use mine next year?
Depends on whether you already used it before!
Old 12-07-2023, 02:36 PM

Speaking of affixing a tag.
On this years deer I applied the tag as usual.
After a few days of hanging at the cabin, while loading it into my truck to transport home, I noticed the 2 halves of the tag had parted.
So I pressed the adhesive halves back together over the wires.

Then while preparing to butcher after another few days of hanging at home in my garage, same thing, adhesive halves had parted again.

Leaving the tagged hind quarter for last, while taking it off the hook, noticed same thing again.
So the wire could have been simply pulled out between the parted paper halves.

Anyone think there is a bad batch of adhesive on these tags?

TBark
Old 12-07-2023, 02:51 PM

There is no doubt that our tagging system is ridiculous.
Old 12-07-2023, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post
After a few days of hanging at the cabin, while loading it into my truck to transport home, I noticed the 2 halves of the tag had parted.
So I pressed the adhesive halves back together over the wires.

Then while preparing to butcher after another few days of hanging at home in my garage, same thing, adhesive halves had parted again.

Leaving the tagged hind quarter for last, while taking it off the hook, noticed same thing again.
So the wire could have been simply pulled out between the parted paper halves.

Anyone think there is a bad batch of adhesive on these tags?

TBark
Nah… you just got one of those lucky reusable ones! Kind of like the everlasting gobstopper in Charlie and the chocolate factory!
Old 12-07-2023, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
There is no doubt that our tagging system is ridiculous.
Ain’t that the truth, it’s beyond asinine. Up until this year it was even stupider that we had to tag walleye that way…..end up with a live well full of fish and garbage floating at the top.
Old 12-07-2023, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post
I never had a tag that didn’t want to stick together, at least not to the point that the entire thing would just come unglued. I surely had tags that didn't want to stay on during “dragging”, etc.

Also, you can dump the tag once at home (or “usual residence”). Especially one that doesn’t want to stay on.
Old 12-07-2023, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
How thick is the ice on the lakes around your place………..
6''
Old 12-07-2023, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
I'm confused. Could one of you please advise which WMU's designate deer by sex? The only references I can find in the regs are for antlered or antlerless. Leaving evidence of sex on a carcass that is judged by the headgear is asinine.

OT- one residential construction site likely sends more paper and plastic to a landfill than the several years worth of unused tags. This is not a battle worth fighting.
Well down south in the 100's you need a draw to bag a doe during rifle season. So... sex matters down there during that time.
Other than that..any wmu outside of that area, keeping the nankers or teets or whatever the udder is.. makes zero sense.

On the recycle part... i know I'm not filling the landfills with my green tags. I stick them on my cabinet
Old 12-07-2023, 06:15 PM

Float this green idea to JT. He’ll be making Alberta comply by 2024
Old 12-07-2023, 09:37 PM

Exclamation antlerless does not automatically = doe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Guy View Post
Well down south in the 100's you need a draw to bag a doe during rifle season. So... sex matters down there during that time.
Other than that..any wmu outside of that area, keeping the nankers or teets or whatever the udder is.. makes zero sense.
Really? That's strange, because I've read through all the 2023 Draws and Hunting regulations, and I cannot find a reference for a Doe tag in the 100's, or anywhere else.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 12-07-2023, 09:57 PM

^ I think that, while the proper and correct way to refer to the tags as antlered and atnlerless (which is what I do myself), the majority of the people who purchase an antlerless tag fully intend to harvest a doe (or a cow) with their tag, hence they refer to the tag as a “doe/cow tag”. Some of those who buy such a tag may target whatever fits the actual definition of the “antslerless”, so they refer to such a tag by a proper name, as do the rest of us. I am in the group, for example, that buys an antlerless elk tag with a full intent to harvest a cow, but still refer to it as an antlerless tag.

I know it is always pointed out and really not a hard to concept, but the only benefit I see is for the new(er) hunters to learn the proper definitions and refer to these tags accordingly (and one probably wants more of those in our “proper” club). Otherwise, I see and hear people talking about doe and cow tags all the time and, while sometimes it hurts the year, lol, I don’t think I have too many issues with it. Yes, if everyone called things what they are would be better, but it is what it is.
Old 12-08-2023, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Depends on whether you already used it before!
Well for some back in the day those metal tags were re-usable. For the current season they were issued for anyway
Buddy of a buddy had it figured out how to remove them... because you need more than one moose right? But I guess that coulda worked for ground shrinkage applications
Old 12-10-2023, 07:58 AM

My Dad hadn’t been out hunting for 10 years and decided to go with me this year. The lady issuing his tags asked if he wanted any extras. I’ve never been asked this when buying tags for myself…..

img share upload
Old 12-10-2023, 05:21 PM

Yes there called “blanks tags” they are giving so you can go online and purchase tags instead of driving to your nearest outdoorsmen store to purchase. Best thing they ever did since Canada tire no longer sells tags or licenses anymore.