Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1711  
Old 09-22-2023, 06:21 PM
badbrass badbrass is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,739
Default

Just asking! But if you would get a moose or elk you would use the same blade length?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
No. Why would I need a longer blade than that?
Reply With Quote
  #1712  
Old 09-22-2023, 06:25 PM
Pathfinder76 Pathfinder76 is online now
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 15,821
Default

Here is a bull moose I dismantled alone (completely alone) using a small Havalon Piranha. You donít need much in the way of blade length in the field.

Reply With Quote
  #1713  
Old 09-22-2023, 06:27 PM
badbrass badbrass is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,739
Default

Good to know!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
Here is a bull moose I dismantled alone (completely alone) using a small Havalon Piranha. You donít need much in the way of blade length in the field.

Reply With Quote
  #1714  
Old 09-22-2023, 06:32 PM
badbrass badbrass is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,739
Default

Nice cleaning by the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
Here is a bull moose I dismantled alone (completely alone) using a small Havalon Piranha. You donít need much in the way of blade length in the field.

Reply With Quote
  #1715  
Old 09-22-2023, 08:44 PM
Pathfinder76 Pathfinder76 is online now
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 15,821
Default

Some will undoubtedly disagree and want more blade length and thatís okay.
Reply With Quote
  #1716  
Old 09-22-2023, 09:33 PM
badbrass badbrass is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,739
Default

You have shown it is not needed! If you know what to do! And it shows you do! So be it!

Last edited by badbrass; 09-22-2023 at 09:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #1717  
Old 09-23-2023, 01:25 PM
obsessed1 obsessed1 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,924
Default

2.5" to 3.5" blade for me for all hunting applications as well. I have never found the need for anything longer. I do like a 6" semi stiff curved boning knife for butchering though so often de-bone with a longer blade just cause... i have also deboned a pile with my std hunting knife though and wouldnt "need" anything longer.
Reply With Quote
  #1718  
Old 09-23-2023, 08:10 PM
Phil McCracken's Avatar
Phil McCracken Phil McCracken is online now
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Rocky Mtn House,AB
Posts: 2,198
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
2.5" to 3.5" blade for me for all hunting applications as well. I have never found the need for anything longer. I do like a 6" semi stiff curved boning knife for butchering though so often de-bone with a longer blade just cause... i have also deboned a pile with my std hunting knife though and wouldnt "need" anything longer.
That...
Reply With Quote
  #1719  
Old 09-27-2023, 12:46 PM
badbrass badbrass is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,739
Default

Got a parcel in the mail today!
Another great knife from Phil,
Thanks Again Phil !

Reply With Quote
  #1720  
Old 09-27-2023, 07:55 PM
Savage Bacon's Avatar
Savage Bacon Savage Bacon is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Calgary-Red Deer area
Posts: 3,246
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrass View Post
Got a parcel in the mail today!

Another great knife from Phil,

Thanks Again Phil !



Beauty!!!

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
__________________
I'm not really a licensed bodyman or heavy duty mechanic. I just play one at work.
Reply With Quote
  #1721  
Old 09-28-2023, 06:27 AM
obsessed1 obsessed1 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,924
Default

Magnacut steel observations.....
So my custom Clint Chissan got a real work out this year.
If you have been following this thread you will find reports of how the edge has held up under different tests and trials, well this season has put my knife edge to the ultimate test. I attemped a different method of gutless this year based on how Fred Eichler does it. My previous method has been zip down the spine and skin down to belly then remove quarters. Its time consuming. This year i started cutting quartes off with the hide still attached then skinned them once off. This method requires cutting through a ton of hair though, and my bull had quite obviously been in a wallow recently as he was covered head to toe in dried mud. Very challenging on a blade. After finishing up my first side i found my edge was not cutting well at all! I couldn't even force it through the hide on the off side quarters. Fortunately i keep a bick lighter wrapped in a peice of leather with stropping compound on it in my kill kit. I took about 20 passes on both sides and tested on my thumb nail.. the knife bit in solidly again! Finished up the second side then another re strop and I removed the head... i cut through the tendons to remove the lower legs on the two front quarters and my knife dulled out significantly. I was not able to bring it back sharp enough the remove the lower rear legs so i just called it quits. Once home i placed it in my dmt jig and hit it with the medium diamond and worked up a burr( probably 30 strokes ) then swapped sides and worked the burr over. Switched to the fine diamond and repeated the process. 10 strokes/side on the strop removed the wire and got the edge back to hair popping sharp! A really careful examination with a bright light showed no chipping or deformation on the edge at all. So in all 20 min of sharpening and is all it took.
Take aways for me.....
This method was much faster in getting the animal broken down but also much harder on a blade/ edge. A small strop is an absolute must have to compleye this type of job and a small diamond pocked stone is probably best to have along as well.
Magnacut cut steel holds an edge very well and is crazy tough to boot but is not so hard that it cant be touched up in field as long as you have the right type of tools along. I have also decided that a small box cutter w serated triangular blades will likely end up in my kill kit for removing leg joints. Last year my knife was put to the test on two big cow elk and it passed with flying colors however the bull being bigger and the hide requiring much more out of my knife i think having that back up will be a wise move.
All in all though Magnacut is a phenomenal choice for a hunting knife.


While i didnt carry my Siembida in the field i chose to use it to debone.. it as well is Magnacut but much thinner and flat ground instead of hollow ground. It still quite thin behind the edge though. Being that i was cutting off the bone i stropped after completing each quarter. The blade never stopped cutting and at no point did i feel like it was requiring more effort to cut or slice. Once deboned i stropped it a final time and its again hair popping. No micro chips or edge damage of any sort.
Reply With Quote
  #1722  
Old 09-28-2023, 06:42 AM
Hunter5425's Avatar
Hunter5425 Hunter5425 is online now
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: Regina
Posts: 103
Default

I like smallish blades around 3" or so and find them easier to control for delicate work around the vent when field dressing. I only make a dozen or so knives a year mostly as gifts for friends and landowners. Here is one I think is going to a nice lady who lets me hunt her land. I've seen such great craftmanship here that it makes me want to improve my own skills.

Reply With Quote
  #1723  
Old 09-28-2023, 06:43 AM
badbrass badbrass is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,739
Default

Thanks for your observations on Magnacut. Always a good read!


Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Magnacut steel observations.....
So my custom Clint Chissan got a real work out this year.
If you have been following this thread you will find reports of how the edge has held up under different tests and trials, well this season has put my knife edge to the ultimate test. I attemped a different method of gutless this year based on how Fred Eichler does it. My previous method has been zip down the spine and skin down to belly then remove quarters. Its time consuming. This year i started cutting quartes off with the hide still attached then skinned them once off. This method requires cutting through a ton of hair though, and my bull had quite obviously been in a wallow recently as he was covered head to toe in dried mud. Very challenging on a blade. After finishing up my first side i found my edge was not cutting well at all! I couldn't even force it through the hide on the off side quarters. Fortunately i keep a bick lighter wrapped in a peice of leather with stropping compound on it in my kill kit. I took about 20 passes on both sides and tested on my thumb nail.. the knife bit in solidly again! Finished up the second side then another re strop and I removed the head... i cut through the tendons to remove the lower legs on the two front quarters and my knife dulled out significantly. I was not able to bring it back sharp enough the remove the lower rear legs so i just called it quits. Once home i placed it in my dmt jig and hit it with the medium diamond and worked up a burr( probably 30 strokes ) then swapped sides and worked the burr over. Switched to the fine diamond and repeated the process. 10 strokes/side on the strop removed the wire and got the edge back to hair popping sharp! A really careful examination with a bright light showed no chipping or deformation on the edge at all. So in all 20 min of sharpening and is all it took.
Take aways for me.....
This method was much faster in getting the animal broken down but also much harder on a blade/ edge. A small strop is an absolute must have to compleye this type of job and a small diamond pocked stone is probably best to have along as well.
Magnacut cut steel holds an edge very well and is crazy tough to boot but is not so hard that it cant be touched up in field as long as you have the right type of tools along. I have also decided that a small box cutter w serated triangular blades will likely end up in my kill kit for removing leg joints. Last year my knife was put to the test on two big cow elk and it passed with flying colors however the bull being bigger and the hide requiring much more out of my knife i think having that back up will be a wise move.
All in all though Magnacut is a phenomenal choice for a hunting knife.


While i didnt carry my Siembida in the field i chose to use it to debone.. it as well is Magnacut but much thinner and flat ground instead of hollow ground. It still quite thin behind the edge though. Being that i was cutting off the bone i stropped after completing each quarter. The blade never stopped cutting and at no point did i feel like it was requiring more effort to cut or slice. Once deboned i stropped it a final time and its again hair popping. No micro chips or edge damage of any sort.
Reply With Quote
  #1724  
Old 09-28-2023, 08:46 AM
Phil McCracken's Avatar
Phil McCracken Phil McCracken is online now
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Rocky Mtn House,AB
Posts: 2,198
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Magnacut steel observations.....
So my custom Clint Chissan got a real work out this year.
If you have been following this thread you will find reports of how the edge has held up under different tests and trials, well this season has put my knife edge to the ultimate test. I attemped a different method of gutless this year based on how Fred Eichler does it. My previous method has been zip down the spine and skin down to belly then remove quarters. Its time consuming. This year i started cutting quartes off with the hide still attached then skinned them once off. This method requires cutting through a ton of hair though, and my bull had quite obviously been in a wallow recently as he was covered head to toe in dried mud. Very challenging on a blade. After finishing up my first side i found my edge was not cutting well at all! I couldn't even force it through the hide on the off side quarters. Fortunately i keep a bick lighter wrapped in a peice of leather with stropping compound on it in my kill kit. I took about 20 passes on both sides and tested on my thumb nail.. the knife bit in solidly again! Finished up the second side then another re strop and I removed the head... i cut through the tendons to remove the lower legs on the two front quarters and my knife dulled out significantly. I was not able to bring it back sharp enough the remove the lower rear legs so i just called it quits. Once home i placed it in my dmt jig and hit it with the medium diamond and worked up a burr( probably 30 strokes ) then swapped sides and worked the burr over. Switched to the fine diamond and repeated the process. 10 strokes/side on the strop removed the wire and got the edge back to hair popping sharp! A really careful examination with a bright light showed no chipping or deformation on the edge at all. So in all 20 min of sharpening and is all it took.
Take aways for me.....
This method was much faster in getting the animal broken down but also much harder on a blade/ edge. A small strop is an absolute must have to compleye this type of job and a small diamond pocked stone is probably best to have along as well.
Magnacut cut steel holds an edge very well and is crazy tough to boot but is not so hard that it cant be touched up in field as long as you have the right type of tools along. I have also decided that a small box cutter w serated triangular blades will likely end up in my kill kit for removing leg joints. Last year my knife was put to the test on two big cow elk and it passed with flying colors however the bull being bigger and the hide requiring much more out of my knife i think having that back up will be a wise move.
All in all though Magnacut is a phenomenal choice for a hunting knife.


While i didnt carry my Siembida in the field i chose to use it to debone.. it as well is Magnacut but much thinner and flat ground instead of hollow ground. It still quite thin behind the edge though. Being that i was cutting off the bone i stropped after completing each quarter. The blade never stopped cutting and at no point did i feel like it was requiring more effort to cut or slice. Once deboned i stropped it a final time and its again hair popping. No micro chips or edge damage of any sort.
Excellent review and thanx for sharing.

As you indicated, frequent "touch ups" regardless of what the blade is made from, is a must. Many people get hurt with dull blades...
Reply With Quote
  #1725  
Old 10-12-2023, 09:24 PM
sns2's Avatar
sns2 sns2 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: My House
Posts: 13,456
Default

Just firmed up an order with Clint C. My buddy got one that I posted on, and was super impressed. I thought I better try one. I was teetering on ordering a Canadian Skinner from Hank Hammond, but then closely went through Clint's Instagram account, and saw he had his own version of that design, except he makes knives with Magnacut, which I wanted to try. He was also willing to use 3/32" stock when I asked. He indicated a preference for a full flat grind with thin blade stock. I am happy to take a suggestion from the maker. Gonna be this knife, but with green canvas micarta scales, toxic green liners, and stainless Corby bolts.

Excited to get her.




Sent from my MP24 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #1726  
Old 10-13-2023, 06:35 AM
obsessed1 obsessed1 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,924
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Just firmed up an order with Clint C. My buddy got one that I posted on, and was super impressed. I thought I better try one. I was teetering on ordering a Canadian Skinner from Hank Hammond, but then closely went through Clint's Instagram account, and saw he had his own version of that design, except he makes knives with Magnacut, which I wanted to try. He was also willing to use 3/32" stock when I asked. He indicated a preference for a full flat grind with thin blade stock. I am happy to take a suggestion from the maker. Gonna be this knife, but with green canvas micarta scales, toxic green liners, and stainless Corby bolts.

Excited to get her.




Sent from my MP24 using Tapatalk
That looks just like mine from Clint. Its a fantastic design.
Reply With Quote
  #1727  
Old 10-13-2023, 08:48 AM
DirtShooter's Avatar
DirtShooter DirtShooter is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Alberta
Posts: 593
Default

What's his IG account?
__________________
Your boos mean nothing, I've seen what makes you cheer.
Reply With Quote
  #1728  
Old 10-13-2023, 09:18 AM
flyon flyon is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Calgary
Posts: 87
Default

Anybody have experience with these knives?

https://northarmknives.com/product/l...heath/#reviews
Reply With Quote
  #1729  
Old 10-13-2023, 09:48 AM
sns2's Avatar
sns2 sns2 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: My House
Posts: 13,456
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtShooter View Post
What's his IG account?

Chisan Knives on Instagram
Reply With Quote
  #1730  
Old 10-13-2023, 10:08 AM
DirtShooter's Avatar
DirtShooter DirtShooter is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Alberta
Posts: 593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Chisan Knives on Instagram
Thanks
__________________
Your boos mean nothing, I've seen what makes you cheer.
Reply With Quote
  #1731  
Old 10-13-2023, 01:46 PM
averagejoe averagejoe is offline
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Grande Cache
Posts: 667
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyon View Post
Anybody have experience with these knives?

https://northarmknives.com/product/l...heath/#reviews
I have one in Magnacut from their first few batches and it has worked very well for me. Holds an edge for a long time and it is quick to touch up. I have not had any issues with chipping. I posted some pictures a few pages back.
Reply With Quote
  #1732  
Old 10-13-2023, 02:15 PM
Lostinthewoods Lostinthewoods is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2023
Posts: 46
Default

Been running a Montana knife company speedgoat for past few years, broke down a whiletail and a black bear other day without sharpening in between. Awesome knife for the weight and edge retention. A little pricey but well worth it!
Reply With Quote
  #1733  
Old 10-24-2023, 06:49 AM
Phil McCracken's Avatar
Phil McCracken Phil McCracken is online now
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Rocky Mtn House,AB
Posts: 2,198
Default

Recently finished this pair for a fellow AO member. He supplied the wood.

The blades are CPM Magnacut steel, hardened at 62. Thickness is 3/32", and sharpened to 17 degrees. Length of the blade is approximately 3 1/8 inches.

Scales are Amazon Rosewood. One cut vertically, the other horizontally. Finished with stainless steel pins.


Reply With Quote
  #1734  
Old 10-24-2023, 09:05 AM
sns2's Avatar
sns2 sns2 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: My House
Posts: 13,456
Default

Nice work on those knives!
Reply With Quote
  #1735  
Old 10-24-2023, 10:00 AM
badbrass badbrass is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,739
Default

Very nice!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
Recently finished this pair for a fellow AO member. He supplied the wood.

The blades are CPM Magnacut steel, hardened at 62. Thickness is 3/32", and sharpened to 17 degrees. Length of the blade is approximately 3 1/8 inches.

Scales are Amazon Rosewood. One cut vertically, the other horizontally. Finished with stainless steel pins.


Reply With Quote
  #1736  
Old 10-24-2023, 02:35 PM
Dom4 Dom4 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 689
Default

Wicked work on those knives there. Whoever gets to use those this November out in the bush is one lucky person.
Reply With Quote
  #1737  
Old 10-29-2023, 02:11 PM
sns2's Avatar
sns2 sns2 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: My House
Posts: 13,456
Default

I got bored, went through all 58 pages of this thread. A lot of custom knives have been made as a result of this thread.

And, I changed the name back to the original. Just cuz. May as well drag a few moe down the rabbit hole

Finally, what a harmonious thread.

A needed break from the crazy that is this world.
Reply With Quote
  #1738  
Old 10-29-2023, 06:10 PM
Phil McCracken's Avatar
Phil McCracken Phil McCracken is online now
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Rocky Mtn House,AB
Posts: 2,198
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I got bored, went through all 58 pages of this thread. A lot of custom knives have been made as a result of this thread.

And, I changed the name back to the original. Just cuz. May as well drag a few moe down the rabbit hole

Finally, what a harmonious thread.

A needed break from the crazy that is this world.
Wimp!...hehe...Actually agree with you bud...
Reply With Quote
  #1739  
Old 10-29-2023, 07:54 PM
no-regard's Avatar
no-regard no-regard is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 678
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Looks great, a touch less curve/arc than a semi-skinner? Does that model have a name?
Reply With Quote
  #1740  
Old 10-29-2023, 08:59 PM
sns2's Avatar
sns2 sns2 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: My House
Posts: 13,456
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-regard View Post
Looks great, a touch less curve/arc than a semi-skinner? Does that model have a name?
I believe he calls that model his skinner.

Clint, if you read this, what is the difference between your skinner & semi-skinner?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.