Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-02-2020, 11:23 AM

Default I reported a poacher and I have mixed feelings.

As I was fishing Wabamun Shore from a distance I could see people catching fish instead of putting the fish back in the water I could see them running to the cooler. So I called it in and the officer was about 45 minutes away. I collected licence plate details and a description of the family. I supposed it was very difficult for me since the family seemed very nice and the kids would walk past me to say Hi.

I don't think they were intentionally hiding fish since they left the cooler right next to the walking path. So clearly they didn't read the regulations.What started out as smiles and happiness became glum faces on Canada Day. I did not confront the family when I could have, but I didn't feel like it was my job to. When I called it in they had at least 4 walleye.

When the officer arrived he confiscated the cooler and collected a total of 6 Walleyes. He took photos of the fish and documented everything on the back of the tailgate.

Question is should I have confronted the family so they wouldn't have caught and retained more? They could have caught 5 or 6 more by the time the officer came.

I have this on Camera from my chest cam. They also know it was me since I was the only other fisherman.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c441ab85-d7de-46e1-8994-6ff7e3d757c3.jpg (55.8 KB, 718 views)

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife

Tags
poacher