Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-02-2015, 09:36 AM

Default HELP Places to camp around Banff

Im headed out towards Banff for a week in July to do some camping, and want to do some good fly-fishing in the area, iv looked into a couple campgrounds/ resorts and most are booked up so I will be staying in a 30ft trailer, wondering if anyone could help me out and let me know of spots to stay by the river that has good fishing or if its easy to find a spot.. will be going on a tuesday evening to find a spot so shouldn't be too tough. Any help would be super lovely, It would be tough going blind

Old 06-02-2015, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tromaniuk1990 View Post
Im headed out towards Banff for a week in July to do some camping, and want to do some good fly-fishing in the area, iv looked into a couple campgrounds/ resorts and most are booked up so I will be staying in a 30ft trailer, wondering if anyone could help me out and let me know of spots to stay by the river that has good fishing or if its easy to find a spot.. will be going on a tuesday evening to find a spot so shouldn't be too tough. Any help would be super lovely, It would be tough going blind

Kinda tough. You can't just park it anywhere in the park, as that's illegal. You've got the tunnel mountain and two jack lake campgrounds. But neither are close to the river. Well tunnel is, if you want to repel down the hoodoos haha.

EDIT: just to clarify, you can't CAMP anywhere you want in the park, you can park the trailer during the day (but hopefully you can just detach the truck, it will make things a lot easier).
Old 06-02-2015, 10:37 AM

There are 8 places to camp in Banff:

http://www.discoverbanff.com/Lodging/Campgrounds/
Old 06-02-2015, 12:17 PM

You'll have better luck with the fishing / camping combo if you head to Kananaskis instead. There are a few campgrounds in Peter Lougheed Provincial Park that are either right on or very close to the Lower Kananaskis Lake. Plus it is a short drive to either Cataract Creek or the Highwood.

In Banff, the only campground close to a lake is Two Jack - and your trailer is too big. If you are set on camping in Banff, there are always spots available in Tunnel Mountain.
Old 06-02-2015, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclerj View Post
You'll have better luck with the fishing / camping combo if you head to Kananaskis instead. There are a few campgrounds in Peter Lougheed Provincial Park that are either right on or very close to the Lower Kananaskis Lake. Plus it is a short drive to either Cataract Creek or the Highwood.

In Banff, the only campground close to a lake is Two Jack - and your trailer is too big. If you are set on camping in Banff, there are always spots available in Tunnel Mountain.

thanks so much for the help!
Old 06-02-2015, 05:26 PM

Johnson's Canyon Campsite off the 1A is beautiful and is close to the Bow. It's first-come-first-served. We've had luck getting a site on Thursday, but any time closer to the weekend is dicey.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:13 AM

Smile

Aphelps is right Johnson Canyon is not far from the river and it is first come first serve there. BUT, do be careful around that area. Bear 122 lives in that area. If you have never heard of bear 122 then just google him. He is a beast and often hangs around by the train tracks that you have to cross to get to the river. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying to go. By all means go. But just be darn sure you have your bear spray with you and make lots of noise.

Just so you know I'm not BS'ing about Mr. Bear 122 here is a couple of links to stories about him.
http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...-national-park
http://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/legen...2015-1.2290695