Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-24-2012, 11:12 AM

Default transporting a flintlock

Hmm, I seem to learn something every day!
Last week while huntign , one oif the guys explaoned that if we were going elsewhere to a diffeeent site, he would have to take his double flinter apart ( hooked breech) , but it was no sweat because he had set up his case foor it.
I asked why, because I was alwys of the though that "no caap or powder in the flash pan " was the rule.
NOPE!!
The FLINT has to be removed from a flint lock if you have a charge in the barrel, he explained!!
Here is the quote from the CFC website
Storing and transporting black powder firearms

[quote] As set out in regulations supporting the Firearms Act , individuals are required to store and transport all firearms, including antique firearms, safely to deter loss, theft and accidents. All firearms must be unloaded for storage and transportation.

Exception: Black powder muzzleloaders do not have to be unloaded when they are being transported between hunting sites if their firing cap or flint has been removed. [quote]
Cat
Old 10-24-2012, 11:36 AM

Sounds like a regulation written by someone who didn't know any better but that could never happen. Leeper
Old 10-24-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeper View Post
Sounds like a regulation written by someone who didn't know any better but that could never happen. Leeper
Yup, the regs , from what I was told, were written by people who did the PAL as well, people who write manuals and do not actually know much.
The being said I have seen a few locks good enough to fire without powder in the pan, but a meteorite could come crashing down at the same time and then what......??!!
Cat
Old 10-25-2012, 05:20 AM
Banned

There is a pic on my boss's office wall that depicts a young very attractive female with a white hard hat on, safety glasses, high vis vest and a binder/book in her hand. She's smiling at the camera. The caption reads,.. "I have no idea what you're doing, but my book says you're doing it wrong". Must be a firearms expert from miramiche......
Old 10-25-2012, 09:42 AM

[QUOTE=catnthehat;1664817]Hmm, I seem to learn something every day!
Last week while huntign , one oif the guys explaoned that if we were going elsewhere to a diffeeent site, he would have to take his double flinter apart ( hooked breech) , but it was no sweat because he had set up his case foor it.
I asked why, because I was alwys of the though that "no caap or powder in the flash pan " was the rule.
NOPE!!
The FLINT has to be removed from a flint lock if you have a charge in the barrel, he explained!!

[quote] As set out in regulations supporting the Firearms Act , individuals are required to store and transport all firearms, including antique firearms, safely to deter loss, theft and accidents. All firearms must be unloaded for storage and transportation.

Exception: Black powder muzzleloaders do not have to be unloaded when they are being transported between hunting sites if their firing cap or flint has been removed.
Quote:
Cat
What a really nice double Flinty it is too, It was a hoot to shoot. and Some of the regs are beyond comprehension, written by fools with lil or no common sense
Old 10-25-2012, 09:45 AM

[QUOTE=sunsetrider2011;1666449][QUOTE=catnthehat;1664817]Hmm, I seem to learn something every day!
NOPE!!

Quote:
As set out in regulations supporting the Firearms Act , individuals are required to store and transport all firearms, including antique firearms, safely to deter loss, theft and accidents. All firearms must be unloaded for storage and transportation.

Exception: Black powder muzzleloaders do not have to be unloaded when they are being transported between hunting sites if their firing cap or flint has been removed.

What a really nice double Flinty it is too, It was a hoot to shoot. and Some of the regs are beyond comprehension, written by fools with lil or no common sense
I was actually speaking of his buddy's 16 gauge double from Whiskey Flats custom guns, this gun was out at brooks, Not Hornhead's Eric Martins' 12.
Hornhead likes the 16 but I sure do like his 12!!
Cat