Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-09-2012, 03:41 PM

Default Getting my guns back into canada

I'm off to the US next week and have my Form 6 so, hopefully, will not have a problem getting my guns into the US.
In the past when I returned to Canada I showed Customs my registrations (probably the only time they were useful) and everything was OK. Now without registration how do I prove that I brought the guns with me from Canada? Maybe I could use the Form 6 but I doubt the Canadian authorities would recognise a US permit, but maybe they would. Guess I could stop at the Canadian side of the crossing and get a Green Card (haven't got one in years) but the procedure can be time consuming.
Anyone have experience here or can offer useful advice?
Thanks
Bill
Old 10-09-2012, 03:49 PM
sheephunter

Personally I never worry about it but you could stop at Canadian Customs on your way out of the country if you are worried. You aren't required to prove anything.....
Old 10-09-2012, 04:08 PM

Before the registration came into effect, I used to stop at Canada Customs on the way out of Canada,, and they would provide me with a card to record the serial numbers,then they would sign it.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:53 PM

Smile Ditto with Elk

On the way out of Canada, stop and go in with all your registration numbers from the guns you are carrying. They stamp it and when you came back as long as you have the same guns it is fine.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Personally I never worry about it but you could stop at Canadian Customs on your way out of the country if you are worried. You aren't required to prove anything.....
Yep good advice. Have a valid PAL obviously and you will most likely still be in posession of your Form 6NIA....

Or, as others have said you can always stop and have any items listed before you leave.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Before the registration came into effect, I used to stop at Canada Customs on the way out of Canada,, and they would provide me with a card to record the serial numbers,then they would sign it.
x2. That way it proves they originated from Canada.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:52 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
x2. That way it proves they originated from Canada.
By law, there is no need to prove it but it could save a bit of hassle for sure.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
By law, there is no need to prove it but it could save a bit of hassle for sure.
not sure what you mean I travel to the USA for matches 1/2 dozen times a year or more, we are required when COMES BACK TO CANADA to declare all firearms,
once you declare them you should have some proof they are yours, otherwise you are in for a long day,

I normally tell them I have them listed on the 6n1a (that I got before the registry system was cancelled kinda)

and that I have the old registration slips ( not really legal proof they say but still proof)

and then see what happens, some times in couts (training ground) they get a little grumpy but most other borders are pretty quick,

you must prove you owned the gun prior to leaving canada or they can seize the gun and hold it until athey are satisfied you have met the ownership requirements

cement bench
Old 10-10-2012, 05:26 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cement Bench View Post
not sure what you mean I travel to the USA for matches 1/2 dozen times a year or more, we are required when COMES BACK TO CANADA to declare all firearms,
once you declare them you should have some proof they are yours, otherwise you are in for a long day,

I normally tell them I have them listed on the 6n1a (that I got before the registry system was cancelled kinda)

and that I have the old registration slips ( not really legal proof they say but still proof)

and then see what happens, some times in couts (training ground) they get a little grumpy but most other borders are pretty quick,

you must prove you owned the gun prior to leaving canada or they can seize the gun and hold it until athey are satisfied you have met the ownership requirements

cement bench
Actually the onus is on the CBSA to prove their origin if they don't believe you took them down with you. Yes, absolutely you must declare that you have them when entering Canada but legally you are not required to prove where you bought them. I've never declared mine leaving Canada and I've never been asked to prove that I took them down with me. They can ask for proof but ultimately it's up to them to prove othrerwise. But no doubt they could hold you up for a while if they decided to. I always figure the 6N1A would be sufficient proof to prevent them from holding you up when returning from the U.S. and the temporary export permit should suffice when returning from other countries. As there is no long gun registration in Canada, I have no registration certificates for my long guns.

Last edited by sheephunter; 10-10-2012 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cement Bench View Post

cement bench
Your wrong on a few points. Sheephunter has it right. Some of the other points about "training grounds" are wrong as well. Sorry man...
Old 10-25-2012, 12:44 PM

Default Getting My Guns Back Into Canada

I returned from Montana a few days ago and wish to report my experience at the border crossing. After telling the Customs Officer that I had been hunting and had guns, he asked for my US Form 6 and my PAL. No problems or surprises there. I had planned to stop at the Canadian Customs on my way to the US but the Coutts Customs crossing is rather complex so I simply proceeded to the US Customs.
Thanks to all of you who responded a few weeks ago. Hope this helps others who plan to hunt in the US this fall.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cow Town Bill View Post
I returned from Montana a few days ago and wish to report my experience at the border crossing. After telling the Customs Officer that I had been hunting and had guns, he asked for my US Form 6 and my PAL. No problems or surprises there. I had planned to stop at the Canadian Customs on my way to the US but the Coutts Customs crossing is rather complex so I simply proceeded to the US Customs.
Thanks to all of you who responded a few weeks ago. Hope this helps others who plan to hunt in the US this fall.
You fill any tags down here?
Old 10-25-2012, 02:34 PM

Wink

You could move to Quebec. They have a registry and a ton of other paperwork that might help......... Lol