Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-22-2012, 03:05 PM

Default Best OVER UNDER

hey Guys,

I am looking to buy a new over under, my price range is $3000... whats the best gun on the market rite now that would fit my budget?
Old 10-22-2012, 03:15 PM
Gone Hunting

Default Best o/u

Browning cynergy.Check Prophet River in Lloydminister,or Will Bilizars site
Old 10-22-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullijr View Post
Browning cynergy.Check Prophet River in Lloydminister,or Will Bilizars site
i just bought a cynergy feather and 100% agree....the thing is a treat to shoot....the looks arent for everyone but personally i love the way they look.

gonna pick up another one for my dad for christmas i think.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:20 PM

Why don't you go and shoulder a few guns in your price range and buy the gun that fits best and you like the look of instead of asking a bunch of people with different tastes over the internet. Besides you should buy a 686!
Old 10-22-2012, 03:23 PM
Gone Hunting

Default Best o/u

Will doesn't sell Browning but he sells other excellent makes.My bad
Old 10-22-2012, 03:38 PM

Default go for the "fit"

What works for one person, may not fit another. Shoulder a few guns yourself and see what comes naturally to the shoulder and the sight-plane.
Just about any browning seems to fit me fine, but beretta's dont seem to have enough drop in the heel and comb. Really gotta force my head down on the beretta's, and ruger as well.
Its definitely an individual thing!
If you're looking for input based on quality and build, thats a different story. Any of the beretta or browning o/u guns have solid reputations. With the budget you have assigned yourself, you should be able to pick up a real solid shooter to last many years.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:44 PM
Banned

Location: FTR Road in the summer (flyfishin), The bush in autum (huntin) the hills in winter (shreddin the pow

Browning browning browning

most beautiful over unders ever
Old 10-22-2012, 04:14 PM

If a Beretta will fit you, that is the way to go. If not abused in the worst way, a Beretta will last long enough to be shot by your great, great grandchildren.

JMO.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:18 PM
Banned

Beretta 686/687 or browning citori or cynergy. Try em all and pick. They are all in that price range and have a reputation for durability.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:31 PM

The best O/U to purchase is one that fits you, and your application. Do you want a field gun for hunting, a trap gun,skeet gun, or sporting clays gun, or one that will be appropriate for more than one application? I personally own five Citori shotguns, and one Cynergy, chosen because they fit me, and the application that I to use them for. A field gun will be lighter, and generally will have a shorter barrel than a trap/skeet/sporting clays gun. A trap gun will usually shoot higher than the other guns. Light guns are nice to carry in the field, but the recoil will be more, and if you shoot a hundred or more shots in a session, shooting trap or skeet, recoil may be an issue.

There are several quality guns to choose from, pick what fits you, and pick a dealer that you trust. I for one will never purchase anything from one of the dealers previously mentioned, due to the way that he treated another forum member when he ordered a gun, and the gun that arrived was not at all what he ordered, as verified by the original order sheet.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The best O/U to purchase is one that fits you, and your application.
100% what i was going to say
Old 10-22-2012, 06:10 PM

Spend part of the cash on a Gun Fitter, there are a few in Alberta. Find out what will fit, drop etc. and have Clay / Pug or some other Retailer that will care, order a Browning / Berretta / other nice òut of the box`gun that has the drop numbers, cast etc. diameter at the wrist that will fit.

Maybe you have big hands, little hands, long fingers, long forearm, short forearm, fat fingers, no fingers etc. all will affect the fit.

For example Berretta does make the 686 with about 10 basic different stock dimentions, BUT you will only see one dimention fits all in Alberta retailers. That because that all the major retailer's bring in the same shot guns with the same dimentions because that what "fits most North Americans".
The other route is to take the dimension that a fitter has worked with you and buy a "semi custom" say Itialian shotgun. The Pheasants Forever mag lists quite a few. They will strech your budget somewhat but!!!!

Just sayn
Old 10-22-2012, 06:28 PM

Fit is everything, but you can also get a gun you like that will fit you.
I personally do not like brownings( i've owned about 20) , and Berretas ( about the samme number) although they were all good guns and i even wish occasionally that I had one or two back!

However, there have also been guns that fit me well and i shot well, but did not like - a very nice parker 12 on a 16 frame comes to mind!
Next to my Westley Richards and my Greener , it was just another SXS!!

I also owned a little CZ micro Bobwhite on a scaled frame that was an absolute dream to shoot, and although less than $1,000, was a very big favourite of mine and still is, even though I sold it.

FAIR O/U's have been super for me, and they are a great shotgun, no matter the model.

Cat
Old 10-22-2012, 06:36 PM
Banned

Are you left or right handed?

How long are your arms.

How tall are you?

Is your neck long or short.

Are your eyes spaced or closed together.

Is the upper portion of your torso quite long?

Are you skinny or thin?

What do you want to shoot?

Do you like dogs? Just threw that one in for the heck of it.

There are many parameters to consider in fitting a gun.

Best wishes on your search.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:49 PM

Default choices

Caesar Guerini just that much nicer than a Beretta , Salavee has a lightly used one for sale. FS
Old 10-22-2012, 07:51 PM

I wish I had 3000$ limit to buy a gun with

Shop around, do research and see what feels right.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarplayingfish View Post
I wish I had 3000$ limit to buy a gun with

Shop around, do research and see what feels right.
One day you will, or maybe will run into a deal of a lifetime - it happens!
Cat
Old 10-22-2012, 08:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
One day you will, or maybe will run into a deal of a lifetime - it happens!
Cat
It happened to greylynx and a little Berreta side by side.

Keep your nose to the wind.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:22 AM
Precisionshooter

Valmet combination guns model 412 / 412s are hard to beat with their features. They also made shotgun o/u's but if your in the market for a combination gun you can save an easy $1700 on that budget with a Valmet. The new ones are made in Italy (model 512 (also marketed under Tikka... now Marocchi) so I can't speak for them, but memory tells me they were around $1700- $2000 @ LONDERO.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:32 AM

My son's Tikka 412S has a set of 12 gauge O/U barrells ands it is an incredible gun that shoots very well.
Cat
Old 10-23-2012, 01:26 PM

Anyone try out the 725's?
Old 10-23-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Anyone try out the 725's?
I tried a 725 Sporting out during a round of skeet, and it balanced and swung quite nice. I considered a 725 Field for hunting, but I didn't like the low rib. It fit nice, but I prefer a higher rib.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I tried a 725 Sporting out during a round of skeet, and it balanced and swung quite nice. I considered a 725 Field for hunting, but I didn't like the low rib. It fit nice, but I prefer a higher rib.
Ya I shouldered the sporting one at wholesale and it fit nice. I want some kind of citori for sporting clays lol
Old 10-23-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickote316 View Post
Ya I shouldered the sporting one at wholesale and it fit nice. I want some kind of citori for sporting clays lol
I happen to have a very nice ( danged near mint) browning 525 for sale !
Hornhead owned it, but has moved to a nonclay sshooting area, and has no use for it.
Cat
Old 10-23-2012, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faststeel View Post
Caesar Guerini just that much nicer than a Beretta , Salavee has a lightly used one for sale. FS
I agree about the CG. They are the same money as a Beretta but you a nicer gun from CG, plus they are prettier. It is hard to beat the Brownings for durability though - you won't ever shoot one loose. I have shot a BT-99 for the past 24 years for trap and it still is as tight as can be.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:36 AM

Shouldered aprox. 20 different ou's before purchasing a 625 Citori 5 years ago. You'll know when you've found "the one" but only by handling as many as you can get your hands on. Fit is everything when it comes to a shotgun, and let's face it it's a huge investment. I would suggest taking your time and shouldering as many as you can get your hands on. For me the Citori pointed perfectly , lop was perfect and balances perfect. Nearly 10000 rounds later it's still no where near "wore in". I'm starting to wonder if it will ever loosen up as it is still tight to break. Good luck to you, it's a tough decision but the search is fun. Enjoy it, and let us know what you've chosen.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:37 PM

Ceaser or kohler!

Lethal Prostaff Member
Canadian Waterfowl Prostaff Member
Sillosock Prostaff Member
Pure Gold Chokes Prostaff Member
Lynch Mob Calls Prostaff Member
Wolverine Guns and Tackle
Old 10-24-2012, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapshooter View Post
Ceaser or kohler!
You may have a hard time finding either in the $3,000 price range.
I know that if I were looking for a skeet or trap gun I wouldn't look there after owning both.

Cat
Old 10-24-2012, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolete View Post
I agree about the CG. They are the same money as a Beretta but you a nicer gun from CG, plus they are prettier. It is hard to beat the Brownings for durability though - you won't ever shoot one loose. I have shot a BT-99 for the past 24 years for trap and it still is as tight as can be.

Strange. I feel completely the opposite. I shouldered both last weekend and felt that the Beretta was far superior.

See how personal preference makes such a huge impact.

It is nice to use this forum as a great informational tool (once you weed out the trolls) but getting out and feeling the differences is the best way to go for sure.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
You may have a hard time finding either in the $3,000 price range.
I know that if I were looking for a skeet or trap gun I wouldn't look there after owning both.

Cat
opps, didnt read the under $3000 mark.

Lethal Prostaff Member
Canadian Waterfowl Prostaff Member
Sillosock Prostaff Member
Pure Gold Chokes Prostaff Member
Lynch Mob Calls Prostaff Member
Wolverine Guns and Tackle