Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-17-2014, 08:45 PM

Default Alberta Slam

While down in Florida I found out that most of the saltwater areas in the states have what they call a slam which is when you catch 3 species of fish. Grand slams are usually based on the favourite sport fish of the area, for example a slam in Cape Coral Florida is a Redfish, Snook and Sea Trout. They also have various others slams such as a trash can slam which is a Catfish, Jack Crevalle and Ladyfish. I found the slam concept interesting so decided that today I would go after what I am calling an Alberta Slam which consists of a Northern Pike, Walleye and Rainbow Trout.

In total I caught 11 pike, 2 walleye and 4 trout including my new personal best trout at 22 3/4 inches. Here are the best of the bunch that completed my slam.

If anyone else wants to attempt a slam go ahead and make sure you get pictures!

Old 05-17-2014, 08:49 PM

Nice I think I saw you at wab...

Did it as well today no pics tho

Pike, walleye, perch
Old 05-17-2014, 08:50 PM

I like it !!! Great job and pics
Old 05-17-2014, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lund rebel View Post
Nice I think I saw you at wab...

Did it as well today no pics tho

Pike, walleye, perch
I was at Wab yesterday but in 3 hours didn't catch a thing... Decided to go to St. Anne where I caught 2 pike and 2 walleye... 4 fish in over 9 hours of fishing and 20 kms in the kayak...

Today was much better though as seen above.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
I was at Wab yesterday but in 3 hours didn't catch a thing... Decided to go to St. Anne where I caught 2 pike and 2 walleye... 4 fish in over 9 hours of fishing and 20 kms in the kayak...

Today was much better though as seen above.

Saw you in the north west weed line
Ok so I am not the only one fished 3 days and only 17 fish at wab long days as well. Thought I forgot to fish, went to jackfish and it was the same caught one first cast then nothing for a couple hours. Maybe its early with the late spring
Old 05-17-2014, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lund rebel View Post
Saw you in the north west weed line
Ok so I am not the only one fished 3 days and only 17 fish at wab long days as well. Thought I forgot to fish, went to jackfish and it was the same caught one first cast then nothing for a couple hours. Maybe its early with the late spring
I think Wab and in particular where I was is just hard to fish this early in the season since there are no weeds there right now. I tried everywhere out there, the drop off, shallows, hump, old reeds, 8.5 kms of paddling at Wab and all for nothing...
Old 05-18-2014, 01:07 AM

I got a slam last Sunday out fishing with BeeGuy and aznRiceMan. I caught a whole bunch of walleye sand one rainbow and one pike. In some places you can have 5 or 6 or even 7 species days
Old 05-18-2014, 05:39 AM

The "ice fishing slam" would be pike, whitefish and burbot,,,, then throw in a perch to make it a "grand slam",,,, and then a walleye makes it a "super grand slam"!!!
Old 05-18-2014, 06:44 AM
Banned

congrats on your slam. i fish off a canoe at times and no how tough it can be esp. on a large lake like wab.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikebreath View Post
The "ice fishing slam" would be pike, whitefish and burbot,,,, then throw in a perch to make it a "grand slam",,,, and then a walleye makes it a "super grand slam"!!!
Have done that one lots at gull lake. And pike, burbs, walleyes, perch at lac la biche
Old 05-18-2014, 04:43 PM

I want to see someone do a grand slam on the North Saskatchewan River! Lol
Old 05-18-2014, 04:50 PM

Wab is tough in the spring ...... not your typical pike hiding in the shallows like in other lakes in the spring. Try deeper. Trust me.
Old 05-18-2014, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Wab is tough in the spring ...... not your typical pike hiding in the shallows like in other lakes in the spring. Try deeper. Trust me.
When there I quickly thought to myself that would be the case just didn't have the much to target them with other then maybe jigs. Will give it a bit and then nail it hard in the summer.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
haven't got to slam yet.
we're getting pike right now at 15 feet of water and usually have a great time catching them on cranks and spoons but theyre sluggish this year I guess because of the cold winter and long ice. a usual spot thats ten feet deep uusually does good but 15 seems to be the depth this spring.
Old 05-18-2014, 10:48 PM

Thumbs up

Nice! I sure do enjoy a good multi-species day. On my favorite creek I've had a few days with rainbows, cutts, browns, brookies & whitefish landed; I love those days!
Old 05-18-2014, 10:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
Nice! I sure do enjoy a good multi-species day. On my favorite creek I've had a few days with rainbows, cutts, browns, brookies & whitefish landed; I love those days!
Salmonid quintuplet is awesome.

Always happy with a trout triumvirate.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:11 AM

Nice haul! Lac St. Anne is solid for multiple species days in the shallows of the 42nd Street area up to the islands.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:10 AM

Goal was 100 fish for weekend at Wab, thursday was tough as nails to fish bc of the weather... friday me and graffy tried a little deeper which didnt seem right but got into some fish and was able to put 32 in the boat... sat i tried deeper even and was like Wab of old for me, we caught a ton of fish ending with 43 for myself and 37 for buddy i was fishing with( first time ever fishing so he is literally hooked) Went against everything I have ever learnt and been taught about Spring Pike fishing... tons of vegatation close to shorelines and water temp was about 1-2 diff in 10-12 feet and where we had most success... SUnday was same thing as sat... finished with 127 fish and success overall!

nice to see so many of you out there, cpl kayaks and canoes also.... damn it got busy sat and sunday though...
Old 05-19-2014, 03:25 PM
Banned

Any size? ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by THERICARDO View Post
Goal was 100 fish for weekend at Wab, thursday was tough as nails to fish bc of the weather... friday me and graffy tried a little deeper which didnt seem right but got into some fish and was able to put 32 in the boat... sat i tried deeper even and was like Wab of old for me, we caught a ton of fish ending with 43 for myself and 37 for buddy i was fishing with( first time ever fishing so he is literally hooked) Went against everything I have ever learnt and been taught about Spring Pike fishing... tons of vegatation close to shorelines and water temp was about 1-2 diff in 10-12 feet and where we had most success... SUnday was same thing as sat... finished with 127 fish and success overall!

nice to see so many of you out there, cpl kayaks and canoes also.... damn it got busy sat and sunday though...
Old 05-19-2014, 03:59 PM

caught 2 over 32 on Sat, other than that everything was small and agressive haha
Old 05-19-2014, 05:19 PM
Banned

Right on, kept ya busy at least. ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by THERICARDO View Post
caught 2 over 32 on Sat, other than that everything was small and agressive haha
Old 05-19-2014, 08:17 PM

Slamming again today. Caught 21 walleye, 3 pike and 2 trout. Best of the day below.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:31 AM

nice hat trick
Old 06-06-2014, 09:53 AM

I think it would be nice if fishing tournaments were also this way, at least on a trial basis.

It would better demonstrate the skills of the fishermen having to go after multiple species and at the same time take pressure off anyone species in the lake. It would even perhaps help on the political front as well as more focus might be placed on the fishery as a whole.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:01 AM

The Grandslam as i've known it is 4 species, in Manitoba: Lake Trout, Whitefish, Pike, Smallmouth bass (or whatever 4 species you can catch in a day in a given body of water), and in Saskatchewan on Reindeer Lake its Lake Trout, Arctic Grayling, Northern Pike and Walleye.

There is actually a place called Grand Slam Lodge on Reindeer lake that I fished in the 90's. What a great lake.

I had a lucky morning one time and hit all 4 species in George Lake Manitoba in about 90 minutes one spring day.

Fun stuff.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:00 PM
Banned

out of curiosity rav where do you go to get your rainbow? i can see a slam at wab, or anne if you went pike, wallie and maybe perch or burbot. to get a rainbow you would have to go to a different lake.
if you hauled your yak (with all your fishing gear) down to east pit then i would be surprized. perhaps salter after anne?
Old 06-06-2014, 12:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky7 View Post
I want to see someone do a grand slam on the North Saskatchewan River! Lol
what would you consider a slam on the nsr? not unussual to catch multiple species on any given day.
i have caught pike, walleye, white sucker, red horse sucker, gold eye, and burbot all on the same day. you can reasonably expect to catch at least 3-4 different species any day you fish the nsr.
still looking for my first sturgeon though. lol
Old 06-06-2014, 01:48 PM

Default yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
out of curiosity rav where do you go to get your rainbow? i.......to get a rainbow you would have to go to a different lake.
if you hauled your yak (with all your fishing gear) down to east pit then i would be surprized. perhaps salter after anne?
^x2
Old 06-06-2014, 02:06 PM
Banned

It was Muir he got it at...
Old 06-06-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
what would you consider a slam on the nsr? not unussual to catch multiple species on any given day.
i have caught pike, walleye, white sucker, red horse sucker, gold eye, and burbot all on the same day. you can reasonably expect to catch at least 3-4 different species any day you fish the nsr.
still looking for my first sturgeon though. lol
Every species that can be in the NSR in one day mwahahaha, yeah man I know the awesome ways of the NSR lol I've only caught 4 sturgeon, one 50 incher and 3 babies lol