Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

View Poll Results: Should large trophy fish be easy or difficult to catch?
I'd like to have trophy fish more readily available. 45 30.00%
Trophy fish should be difficult to catch, only for those who work for them. 105 70.00%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-29-2012, 05:18 PM

Default Surprise

I have always liked the surprise trout,either from a beaver pond,small creek
river,etc,if i did catch a monster lets sayfrom glenmore resevoir,i may keep it
but not needed now if ya got pics,then back home they go,fiberglass mount
if you dont get your feet wet you
aint fishing
Old 02-29-2012, 07:06 PM

the choice to what?

KEEPING LARGE PIKE
Old 03-01-2012, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
isnt that how the preacher caught the world record walleye through the ice at tobin?

x2 this thread is Gay!
HAHA ok you got me on that one, damnit!

I think the "yes" people are reading this question "Do you want to catch a trophy fish?" If they were easier to catch than why would you care all that much that you even caught one? If I could catch a 35 pound pike everytime I went out fishing, it would ruin the fun of catching a 35 pound pike. Trust me on this one!
Old 03-01-2012, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyreeUM View Post
HAHA ok you got me on that one, damnit!

I think the "yes" people are reading this question "Do you want to catch a trophy fish?" If they were easier to catch than why would you care all that much that you even caught one? If I could catch a 35 pound pike everytime I went out fishing, it would ruin the fun of catching a 35 pound pike. Trust me on this one!
I took "more readily available" to mean having more trophy fish in more places. There are some lakes where you can catch big ones, and some where you can't. It would be nice to have more places to catch them.

The fish in Wabamun are pretty big... would anyone complain if they were bigger? "I can't stand going to Wab, this fish are just too damn big!"

No matter how I think of it, I can't see having bigger fish "more readily available" here in Alberta being a bad thing.

Last edited by canadiantdi; 03-01-2012 at 07:31 AM.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiantdi View Post
I took "more readily available" to mean having more trophy fish in more places. There are some lakes where you can catch big ones, and some where you can't. It would be nice to have more places to catch them.

The fish in Wabamun are pretty big... would anyone complain if they were bigger?
See, this just doesnt make any sense to me. How much more "readily availale" do you want them to be? I see monster fish posted on this forum all the time. What percentage of the overall fishing population are represented on this site? Think about how many trophy fish are caught each week and NOT posted on this forum...

How do you propose to get fish bigger in Wab? Isn't that lake already strictly C&R? I don't get it...
Old 03-01-2012, 07:38 AM

Quote:
See, this just doesnt make any sense to me. How much more "readily availale" do you want them to be? I see monster fish posted on this forum all the time. What percentage of the overall fishing population are represented on this site? Think about how many trophy fish are caught each week and NOT posted on this forum...

How do you propose to get fish bigger in Wab? Isn't that lake already strictly C&R? I don't get it...
I can't quantify how more readily available. More lakes with trophies would be nice. I find it strange that some don't agree! If bigger ones are more plentiful in Sask, does that mean that you would rather fish here? Do you chose to fish in lakes that usually only produce small fish, just because it's harder to catch a trophy?

With my Wab example I was trying to point out that even though there are big ones there, no one would complain if there were bigger ones! I am happy with that place already!
Old 03-01-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiantdi View Post
With my Wab example I was trying to point out that even though there are big ones there, no one would complain if there were bigger ones! I am happy with that place already!
I don't think anyone would complain about the average size fish being bigger in a lake that produces, on average, smaller fish. What would you propose to increase the size of the pike at Wab?
Old 03-01-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
I don't think anyone would complain about the average size fish being bigger in a lake that produces, on average, smaller fish. What would you propose to increase the size of the pike at Wab?
I was pointing out that, no one would complain if the fish became bigger and more plentiful at ANY lake. Therefore, why are people saying they DON'T want bigger fish which are also more plentiful? Would tobin become boring if people started pulling 40 pounders out?

So again, wabamun is fine.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Yup, there are some monsters on this forum every week, I can't disagree. Mostly pike and some perch. However, if there hadn't been more strict regs put in place for pike in this province several years ago, there would be far less monster pike shown. Apparently, reduced harvest works. Disagree?

I thought it was quite funny as well on another thread where someone caught a monster walleye. The first question that someone asked (and most of us were thinking already) was, "is that an Alberta fish?" That pretty much sums it up really. Hopefully with the limits on walleye, this is a sign of good things to come?

And as for trout, when is the last time that you saw a big trout posted on here from Alberta that wasn't:
a) a brood stock
b) from a C&R or limited harvest fishery?

I doubt you can find too many.

What does all of this mean? Well, if we want to have healthy fisheries in Alberta, we need to maintain the limited harvests that we do have, and look at putting a limit on a few more (at least at specific lakes), as the number of fishermen increase in the province. Disagree? I'm not sure how you could.

Cheers.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtoad View Post
Yup, there are some monsters on this forum every week, I can't disagree. Mostly pike and some perch. However, if there hadn't been more strict regs put in place for pike in this province several years ago, there would be far less monster pike shown. Apparently, reduced harvest works. Disagree?

I thought it was quite funny as well on another thread where someone caught a monster walleye. The first question that someone asked (and most of us were thinking already) was, "is that an Alberta fish?" That pretty much sums it up really. Hopefully with the limits on walleye, this is a sign of good things to come?

And as for trout, when is the last time that you saw a big trout posted on here from Alberta that wasn't:
a) a brood stock

What does all of this mean? Well, if we want to have healthy fisheries in Alberta, we need to maintain the limited harvests that we do have, and look at putting a limit on a few more (at least at specific lakes), as the number of fishermen increase in the province. Disagree? I'm not sure how you could.

Cheers.
How many water bodies do we have that can produce large trout and sustain a harvest?

Very few.

So, yes, large trout are posted here that fit your qualifications, specifically Cold Lake.

Most trout waters in the province are very low productivity ecosystems wrt trout and all the rest rely on stocking. Even the C&R and limited harvest trout waters struggle to produce large trout, specifically, The Bow River.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:

a) a brood stock

Cheers.
I agree.

Nothing wrong with wanting "some" quality fisheries in AB. And that could apply to all species with a few changes.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:16 AM
Gone Hunting

Beeguy and friends. Those fish you call trout in Cold lake are not trout... Additionally, that lake was over harvested and collapsed YEARS ago. What is being caught now are stocked lakers. Seems we learned what impacts we can potentially have in MANY differing situations all across N.A. years ago. Why is it such a stretch to get the vast majority of this province to educate themselves on an introductory level, and get with the times. Conservation will soon be discarded in favor of attaining results with PROTECTION on many levels with regards to differing resources. And why?? Why to protect these many and differing resources from stupid short sighted people, of course. Or we could just nuke er like guys want to do and stop giving a sh*t. That seems to be the road most travelled, its much easier, and we can remain being selfish all the way to ruin. Any bets on what our regulated resources look like in 15 years? Any bets on what the regs look like?

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 03-01-2012, 10:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
I agree.

Nothing wrong with wanting "some" quality fisheries in AB. And that could apply to all species with a few changes.
So bring in the BASS!
Old 03-01-2012, 10:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
Beeguy and friends. Those fish you call trout in Cold lake are not trout... Additionally, that lake was over harvested and collapsed YEARS ago. What is being caught now are stocked lakers. Seems we learned what impacts we can potentially have in MANY differing situations all across N.A. years ago. Why is it such a stretch to get the vast majority of this province to educate themselves on an introductory level, and get with the times. Conservation will soon be discarded in favor of attaining results with PROTECTION on many levels with regards to differing resources. And why?? Why to protect these many and differing resources from stupid short sighted people, of course. Or we could just nuke er like guys want to do and stop giving a sh*t. That seems to be the road most travelled, its much easier, and we can remain being selfish all the way to ruin. Any bets on what our regulated resources look like in 15 years? Any bets on what the regs look like?

Are you referring to Lake Trout? Salvelinus namaycush?

I guess it's all or nothing eh?
Old 03-01-2012, 10:44 AM
Banned

Uhhhh, yeah,

Trophy fish should be difficult to catch, but even in this province with limited water bodies, there are plenty of trophies to be had, if that's your bag baby.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:06 AM

1.Genitics
2.Food
3.life cycle

be a scientific angler

look at lakes as to the potenical /history/make-up of lake(flats,shoals etc)

just like a farmer some fields have better soil and will produce more each year

some lake are dead or have very little growth potenical the only way to change these lake's is to do a indepth study looking at alot of data.
like posted earlier 30 inch pike could be 26 years old(poor lake)

in BC Kootenay Lake was a good example they are now seeding the lake every year to keep the Kokanee(food) healthy and there for the Big Gerrards rainbow to keep growing.

if you look at certain lake look at why do they produce bigger fish .. example whats the food source .. big pike need food and big food ex.. big Lake Whitefish etc

study done in Jasper National Park by David Donald Canadian Fishery Bio shows why one lake in the park was a Giant producer with 20 pound plus Rainbows 4 in one small lake but the plankton and zooilogy of lake was extreme

do your home work = success

Food for Thought
David
Old 03-01-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckle55 View Post
1.Genitics
2.Food
3.life cycle

be a scientific angler

look at lakes as to the potenical /history/make-up of lake(flats,shoals etc)

just like a farmer some fields have better soil and will produce more each year

some lake are dead or have very little growth potenical the only way to change these lake's is to do a indepth study looking at alot of data.
like posted earlier 30 inch pike could be 26 years old(poor lake)

in BC Kootenay Lake was a good example they are now seeding the lake every year to keep the Kokanee(food) healthy and there for the Big Gerrards rainbow to keep growing.

if you look at certain lake look at why do they produce bigger fish .. example whats the food source .. big pike need food and big food ex.. big Lake Whitefish etc

study done in Jasper National Park by David Donald Canadian Fishery Bio shows why one lake in the park was a Giant producer with 20 pound plus Rainbows 4 in one small lake but the plankton and zooilogy of lake was extreme

do your home work = success

Food for Thought
David
Finally someone who actually did some reading before giving his/her opinion there just isnt many like you on here Thanx
Old 03-01-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
I would like large fish to be at least available, which if we're talking trout lakes in Alberta, is not always the case....very rarely the case.

Theoretically, even though there might be more large fish in a waterbody, they should be more challenging to catch. Look at the Bow river for example: more large fish per km than most rivers in the world; however, how many fishermen (even veteran ones) have left the Bow scratching their heads and soothing their egos on many days. Of course, there are also the days that you can do no wrong, which are the ones that keep us coming back.

I think there are some people that think that by making stricter regs, and thus more large fish, that somehow the fish are going to be easy to catch. I don't think that's the case. They get smart after getting stung a couple of times. The challenge is in knowing there is a good possibility of catching a big fish and then trying to get it to bite. I'd much rather fish all day for the chance of a big fish than catch a bunch of 12" stockers.

And of course there needs to be put and take fisheries as well where you can chuck powerbait all day with your kids and keep a bucket-full of 12" stockers. I'm just saying that my preference is for fishing places where you have the chance to catch bigger fish.

Cheers.
Police Outpost is the place for trohpy trout. It now has a one fish limit min. 50cm and no more ice fishing.

Easy to manage in either a tube or small pontoon with lot's of good trout.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LacLaBicheNS View Post
I would like to see all of alberta go on 100% catch and release for a few years (3-5??).

It would allow the fish to get big and spawn and get the numbers back where they should be naturally.

I couldn't care less if we went catch and release for 10 years.. It would weed out the real outdoorsman from the weekend bucket fillers.
That statement is about as ignorant if ever i heard.

while I personally adhere to C&R who are you to suggest someone cannot go out catch some fish for him and his family to enjoy.

Any "REAL OUTDOORSMAN" understands that!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-01-2012, 02:48 PM

Default The Poll doesn't really make sense.

I understand what the originator was thinking but if trophy fish were easy to catch, they would no longer be considered trophies. If anyone could catch a 40" inch pike, the trophy class would simply become 50". Maybe we would invent a Super Trophy class...
Old 03-01-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bush View Post
Finally someone who actually did some reading before giving his/her opinion there just isnt many like you on here Thanx
your welcome

David
Old 03-01-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spopadyn View Post
If anyone could catch a 40" inch pike, the trophy class would simply become 50".
A fishermans worst nightmare.

wait...
Old 03-01-2012, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpro View Post
Quick poll to see what people think - Do you like the idea of having large/trophy fish more readily available and easy to catch, or should they be more difficult and rare?

Add any extra thoughts in the comments section.
What is the definition of:

1) More Readily Available versus

2) More difficult to rare

Is fishing for 10 hours hard in the right area and catching one readily available?

Is catching one a year readily available?
Old 03-01-2012, 09:07 PM

Default Trophy Fish

Trophy Fish are called just that for a reason, they are rare and difficult to catch. Most lakes have them, nobody's fault you can't catch them, been there done that! If a trophy walleye is considered to be 42" long and a certain lake can produce them all the time. then it's just another walleye. If a trophy pike is considered to be 46" long and a few lakes produce them, then they are just another 46" pike. If you can catch these fish all the time then it becomes the norm, LA DEE DAH, but when you are out fishing lake X and hook on to something that is not the norm, 40" walleye, 54 "pike 50" lake trout, these are the real trophys, because it happens every once in a blue moon not every time you go fishing. If all you catch is large fish regularly from a certain number of lakes and then this becomes HO HUM then what? Don't know about any other fisherpeople, but it's all about the chase for me and not always the catch, but it is always a rush when I latch onto something that is rather large.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:53 PM
pelada trochu

sounds like people are debating what is fisheries management.
im no bio but healthy is a triangle with few at the top and many at the bottom.

i get really sad when i see someone harvest a trophy fish. we go out fishing hoping to catch those fish and when you harvest one there is one less. it provides no real value in your freezer or on your table over a medium sized fish. i dont understand the concept of harvesting it. take a picture or a video. its much more rewarding.

doesnt it feel better knowing you have a chance to come back and get it again when it might be even bigger. plus the fact that a spawn happens once a year so it puts more fry into the lake to carry on.

i totally favour slot sizes. im not a fan of C&R only. i would like to see a weekend or a day a year to at least enjoy harvesting a particular species.

stagger those around the province so people can travel diff places and enjoy if they like.

enjoy our fishing. we are very lucky with the lack of pollution, beauty of the landscape, variety of fish to catch. it could be much worse.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Of course I want to catch more trophy fish more easily.
Anyone who says differently is not telling the truth.
But if they were easily got would they really be trophies?
exactly trophy fish are trophies for a reason
Old 03-02-2012, 07:11 AM

History on Wab

spearfishing(years ago was allowed) in Wab has shown bigger fish than all the post and info i have seen rod or ice fishing

so is there a chance of bigger (yes)

Food for Thought
David
Old 03-02-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony5 View Post
Trophy Fish are called just that for a reason, they are rare and difficult to catch. Most lakes have them, nobody's fault you can't catch them, been there done that!
I totally disagree with this statement. Could you have gone out to Pigeon and caught a trophy walleye after the collapse of the fishery? Doubt it. Same for Gull there for a while as well with walleye and pike. And you can't tell me you can go to Struble Lake and catch a 24" rainbow. It's not going to happen. I don't care how good of a fishermen you think you are or what "secret" flavour of powerbait you concoct, it just would not be possible. Apart from a very small handful of fish, they probably did not exist in those lakes for a while.

At that time, those fisheries were not healthy (and I'm still not convinced Pigeon and Gull are healthy either... but they are improving). And Struble, well it is what it is and probably will just be a put and take fishery forever, which is fine.

The argument for trophy fish being "more readily available" is merely a statement that a fishery is not healthy = no pyramid in age/size class. The top 1/3 to 2/3 of the pyramid is cut off. I just want healthy fisheries. I don't need to catch huge fish on every cast. I love finding new places to fish and walking some felt off of my boots to find them. I love the challenge.

But I'm sorry, this is not a fishing contest! This has absolutely nothing to do with someone being able to catch big fish and others can't. This is not about doing your homework or putting in the hours or any of that BS. Sorry to tell you this, but it isn't about YOU!!!

It's about some fisheries in this province not being healthy. It's about SRD sitting on their hands as the population of fishermen increases and refusing to change regulations until a fishery collapses (ex. bulltrout, pike, walleye) and then suddenly reacting to it instead of being proactive and see the writing on the wall before it happens.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:35 AM
Gone Hunting

BigToad, I COMPLETELY agree. Its not about trophy this and that. To make reference to it while being serious is a joke. Stop making so much damned sence. The way it appears in this province today is that these ideas are fiction. They are saying Damn the fish, damn all the other resources and damn the furure. Its someone elses problem in the off chance that "crazy" science has been right for the last 100 years.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er

Last edited by packhuntr; 03-02-2012 at 08:43 AM.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:40 AM

If there was to many trophy fish then they wouldnt be trophys anymore because theres so many