Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-08-2012, 08:42 AM

Default The Forks open or iced over?

Just wondering if anyone has been down to the Forks (North of Grassylake) and seen if it is open or not? With the +18 weather scheduled for tomorrow and the weekend it looks like hardwater fishing may come to a quick end so thinking about going for some open water fishing.

Please if you are going on the ice be safe as I was talking to the RCMP in Vulcan and they said the Badger is closed as the ice is rotten and has a ford truck and a motorhome now down swimming with the fishies..

Does anyone know if the ice is still good on Keho as I just have not had a chance to stop by and drill some test holes. (not lazy just have not had a chance)

Thanks everyone....

Old 03-08-2012, 08:57 AM

Default Keho

Fished Keho Saturday off the points at the canal outlet on the east end. Must have been 15 or so fishermen. Ice was about 30" and we were fishing 50' out in 10'-12' of water. Everyone was catching Pike when we arrived around 7:45. Got set up in the 50-60 km west winds. The bite definately tapered off through the day with smaller fish being caught in the afternoon.
It wasn't cold but hard to catch your gloves if you set them down cause "they were gone". We caught close to a dozen Pike, we took home 4 keepers, largest being 7.5 lbs. Had a nice fish fry Sunday night in beer batter with a little Emeril spice in the batter. Gives it a little "pop".

There were snow drifts all over the lake but the wind was turning them into standing water by the end of the day. There were vehicles on the lake out from the boat launch but I think I'd be walking on from now on.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:12 PM

Im not too far up the Bow, still totally iced over up this far, Oldman was iced over at highway 36 when I crossed it last friday

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich