Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-31-2015, 06:20 PM
Banned

Default Trail camera suggestions?

I've never used this technology before. But, I did see some at Fly's Etc in High River for $89.00. And, I thought, why not place one in my little honey hole which isn't too far from home. But then, after reading so many threads about them being stolen, I backed off. Then in talking to a fellow hunter, he tells me that they come with a steel cable and a lock. If the thief wants to steel it, he pretty well would have to destroy it. In which case, what's the point? I've always relied on my scouting, instincts and learning animal behavior in the past. But currently my right knee is totally pooched and I am awaiting knee replacement. I still want to hunt in spite of my limitations. I can take some good pain killers to get me to a good spot and wait in ambush. Ok, so bottom line, how difficult is it for undesirables to steel a camera? And, are there suggestions for placing the camera in good view of the intended target, yet hiding it. Is the flash going to give it away? Ideas, suggestions?

Last edited by Pixel Shooter; 08-31-2015 at 06:27 PM.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:14 PM
Banned

I have a Uway. I screw the steel box backing onto the tree. I then place the camera in the backing, run a steel lock cable through it then put the front of the steel box on and secure that with two high end padlocks. The Uway will email me the pictures when in service. My recommendation if the money is there would be to get one that sends the pictures to the receiver 100 yards away and is password protected that disable it's use without said password.

It is unfortunate that we need to take these precautions.

I had a bear eat my camera on Saturday so a steel box I feel is necessary.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:17 PM
Banned

deerguy...Needless to say that I'm not going to get away with a mere $89.00 investment ? Oh, there are no bears where I plan to put up this camera, just Hutterites.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerguy View Post
The Uway will email me the pictures when in service.
I would love a cam like this. Boring days at the office would never be the same again if I can receive pictures by email. I'm guessing they work where you have a cellphone connection only? Are they reliable?
Old 08-31-2015, 07:32 PM
Banned

I'd say they are reliable if you have good service. Uway has a 18' antenna attachment you can get.

If you have no bears and just hutterities I see no reason why you'd need anything other then just the camera and good batteries. I had 4 cameras. 1 stolen, 1 eaten and two sitting in my basement. Only my one highend had a box. The other 3 did what I needed and I wouldn't hessiate buying more cheaper cameras.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
deerguy...Needless to say that I'm not going to get away with a mere $89.00 investment ? Oh, there are no bears where I plan to put up this camera, just Hutterites.
They are worse than bears

LC
Old 08-31-2015, 07:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
They are worse than bears

LC
Yes Sir, yet they go to "church" every day. Me wonders what "church" is all about ????
Old 08-31-2015, 08:17 PM

If I find a good spot I will go back further even if there is less chance of getting lots of pics of deer. Less people will see it that way.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:17 PM

I have a standard Uway, love it.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerguy View Post
I had a bear eat my camera on Saturday so a steel box I feel is necessary.
Sucks don't it. I had one ruined by a bear as well. That is why I buy $200 Trail cameras that go on Clarence for $100. The 2nd time I put up a trail camera I also put up another one pointing to that second camera (in video mode) to see how the bears go about their playful destruction.

Mamma Black bear with three cubs.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunezilla View Post
Sucks don't it. I had one ruined by a bear as well. That is why I buy $200 Trail cameras that go on Clarence for $100. The 2nd time I put up a trail camera I also put up another one pointing to that second camera (in video mode) to see how the bears go about their playful destruction.

Mamma Black bear with three cubs.
Any ideas how the bears always spot the camera? The only animal I have seen that walks up to every camera I have. Deer seem to be oblivious to them.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:19 PM
Banned

I used inexpensive Moultries years ago on bear baits,placed high and angled down at bait barrels.We were careful to only handle cams with clean,disposable latex gloves...no problems with bears eating cams.
Last fall I bought 3 new cams(left old Moultries with partner back east)....a Primos($129?),a Stealth ($89?) and a WGI($119?)
Placed the WGI and Stealth 5hrs north of home where I deer hunt mid-Nov.Checked last week for 1st time,WGI stolen from private section where I have sole permission,Stealth still hanging on Crown.
Pretty impressed with Stealth,8xAA batts lasted 8+ months til late July.
610 events x6 pic burst for 3660 pics.2000+ pics since May of grass swaying in the wind,lol.
Anyhow,all 3 cams....errr,2 now......are infrared flash,so no tell tale flash for thieves to see.
-Ask member KegRiver about the screw in mount he produces for sale,eliminates the tell tale horizontal strap around tree,another dead giveaway for thieves.
-cable locks and boxes only stop "honest folks" and opportunists.....if they want it,they'll be back with cable cutters,prybar etc.
-email model cams would be great if you have cell service,but cost 3-4x standard cams,,,,maybe you catch thief/maybe not?
-almost need a 2nd hidden cam to watch your 1st cam these days,how pathetic is that!(still cost less then email models)

Last edited by grinr; 08-31-2015 at 11:26 PM.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:39 PM
Gone Hunting

thanks grinr.

I have two Brownings in use. I am very happy with their performance so far, it's been 11.5 months with them out. Bought them last summer.

They are smaller then many, very good camo, work well, they are infrared and on a mount other then the straps provided they are close to invisible. I mean real real hard to spot. And they run on a set of eight AA cells for months.

I'm going to get more as soon as I can afford it.

I have three other cameras that I no longer use. A older Moultrie that still takes pictures but the flash failed and two Stealth Cam delta 88s that were total garbage the day I bought them.

Be careful of the low priced cameras, do a lot of research one each particular model before buying. They may be a very good reason a particular camera is very low priced.

I didn't do the research and I paid for it.

BTW, one of the reasons I bought the cameras was to keep track of bears coming and going in my yard. Some years we get several come through the yard and some stick around long enough to be a royal PITA.

I have not captured one on camera yet, they've been in the neighborhood but so far as I know not one has come in my yard since I set up the cameras. And nothing has touched one of my cameras, not even one young fellow who walked within feet of one camera and apparently never saw it even though at one point he walked directly toward it from less then fifty feet away.

I'll post if I ever have a camera messed with. I'm sure it will happen sooner or later, but it may be a long wait.
I only check the cameras every other month or so if there has been no bears seen close. And there hasn't been.

So there should be next to no scent on them, and being so hard to see I suspect it will be a long time before one gets messed with.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 09-01-2015, 12:07 AM
Banned

if ppl really want the cam they will take it, unless its on 9-10+ diameter tree a quick folding saw cut above the cam if it just has a lock or above and below the cam if its bolted on and its yours. So don't be worried by thieves if you take the precaution to lock it up, if your knee is bad then pics sent to your email would be best instead of going back and forth checking the cam. If you dont mind going for a little walk to the cam, Costco has Simmons 7MP two pack cams for 178.99 with free shipping to your house, mine were here in 4 days. Best bang for your buck, Cabelas wants 130$ for one Simmons 5MP cam. I have 8 Simmons cams some are 3 years old, Not interested in trying another brand im more than satisfied with Simmons.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:35 AM
Gone Hunting

I agree with AlbertaWhitetail, if they see it.

Heck! Even bank vaults get broken into.

But people don't steal what they don't see.

Careful placement, good camo and get rid of those danged straps and you'll loose very few cameras if any in my opinion. Unfortunately I have been unable to properly test this opinion.

I think those lock boxes tend to draw attention. I suspect they do more to promote theft then to deter it.
Plus they limit adjustment and are a bother to install. And they cost twice as much as many after market mounts.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 09-01-2015, 03:31 PM
Banned

Well folks, I've learned quite a bit from your kind responses, thank you so much But here is the thing, I've explored the UWay site which is linked at the top of this forum. Now, I've gone from looking at an $89.99 camera to a $530.00 UWay MB6000 3G/4G camera. Now, in all honesty, there is no way that I would contemplate dropping that kind of coin to keep an eye on my honey hole for a passing WT buck or doe. However, that camera seems to me as though it would be a good investment for security reasons at my shop/home while we're away. Now, that added to my current security system might be a good addition worthwhile the investment. Jeez, I wonder if the insurance company would consider a reduction in premiums (lol, worth asking). Now, I'm thinking that if I were to leave it on a tree for a couple of months, I'd want it anchored down so that the only way to remove it would be to chop down the tree. I have steel, I have a chop saw, I have a mig welder, and other tools. Surely, I can design and construct something short of a jail cell. I don't mind spending the cash, but I don't throw it away either, there has to be a pay-off. Any thoughts? Decisions....decisions.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:38 PM

IMO would rather have 5 of the 90$ ones and cover a bunch more realestate and "when" one walks away you won't feel as bad
Old 09-01-2015, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
IMO would rather have 5 of the 90$ ones and cover a bunch more realestate and "when" one walks away you won't feel as bad
X2 one camera will cove a portion of one game trail where 5 will cover 5 trails