Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-16-2011, 04:31 PM

Location: i have a home in calgary however i live as much of my life as possible in the woods
Default 6 volt battery question

I am charging for the first time my two new 6volt batteries. With them linked with a cable do I have my charger on 6 v or 12 volt. I have the option of charging at 2 amp,6 amp or 12 amp and was told slower(2amp) is best. Could any one please confirm wich I do? One rv place told me to charge both batteries linked as a 12v system and the other as a 6 volt.
Thank you.

Last edited by reelhooker; 04-16-2011 at 04:38 PM. Reason: I spell like a two year old
Old 04-16-2011, 04:41 PM

If they are linked then you are now 12V.... If you don't mind me asking... where did u get them and how much?
Old 04-16-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelhooker View Post
I am charging for the first time my two new 6volt batteries. With them linked with a cable do I have my charger on 6 v or 12 volt. I have the option of charging at 2 amp,6 amp or 12 amp and was told slower(2amp) is best. Could any one please confirm wich I do? One rv place told me to charge both batteries linked as a 12v system and the other as a 6 volt.
Thank you.
Yes, slower is better when connecting multiples. It is a gentler 'equalize' charge to the weaker of the 2 batteries.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:45 PM
Banned

If you have batteries wired +-+ and - to - it's 6 volt

If you wire batteries 1 neg to pos on other battery connect charger to empty pos and neg it's 12 volt

Last edited by horsetrader; 04-16-2011 at 05:02 PM.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:59 PM

Location: i have a home in calgary however i live as much of my life as possible in the woods

Thanks Guys, that is what I'd thought. They are linked +- so I will charge on a 12 v setting. I was a little woriied as when on 12v setting the charger made a noticeable humming sound.
I think I payed about 160/ battery at Woody's The guy said guarrenteed I would'nt find them cheaper anywhere else but I'm sure he is full of it. For whatever the price difference, woody's is two minutes from my house so I was not to worried. The parts guy said they where top of the line before going into some other "sort " of 6 volt.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:59 PM

I charge mine linked as 12V at 2 amp and take it slow. . .given the weather, you should have some time. . .

Cheers.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
If they are linked then you are now 12V.... If you don't mind me asking... where did u get them and how much?
The stickers say, Amp/h (20Hr rate) 237, minute at 75amps=122, Minutes at 25 amps is 474. They are called US2200 Diamond Plate Technologies.
I hope they fullfill my needs. >1 hour of lights/day for four days and keeping the furnace ingiter and fan going for 4/5 days in october. If it oes not suffice I will buy two more and double bank them or maybe add solar. I also bought LED lights for the trailer. #(&#& $%%@ expensive- 20$ per light.
Got to run- wife yelling. thanks guys.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelhooker View Post
The stickers say, Amp/h (20Hr rate) 237, minute at 75amps=122, Minutes at 25 amps is 474. They are called US2200 Diamond Plate Technologies.
I hope they fullfill my needs. >1 hour of lights/day for four days and keeping the furnace ingiter and fan going for 4/5 days in october. If it oes not suffice I will buy two more and double bank them or maybe add solar. I also bought LED lights for the trailer. #(&#& $%%@ expensive- 20$ per light.
Got to run- wife yelling. thanks guys.
By all means add a solar panel and you will never run out of battery.Ive had mine ror 10 yrs,just replaced my 2-6v batteries last yr-got 9 yrs out of them.I use golf cart batteries.