Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-22-2011, 11:30 AM

Default So did you book your campsite for May long?

Today was the day that you can reserve campsites in the provincial parks.
It started at 9.00am and whate a smozzle that is but we got a site @ Bowvalley PP with in 5 minutes everything was booked up, and then the site crashed it couldn't handle all the hits. But what a stupid system that is the Alberta parks reservation.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:34 AM

While I haven't used the new system yet, it is (by design) a way better than the old system.
Mt. Kidd for example. Basically you had 2 days out of the year to book sites for weekends. No way in hell you could get through on those days.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:49 AM

Booked my site at Bow Valley a few minutes ago. (Not for the long weekend), and she's filling up fast boys.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:52 AM
Banned

I`d rather shoot myself in the leg than camp at a public site.I have a million miles of mountain country free for the use.And yes I know it ain`t that easy for some but we take the trailer,the grandkids,the dogs and have a great time with no loud sterio idiots or teen age drunks messing things up.
It just ain`t my thing to pull up next to a hundred other campers ,rather camp at Wal-Mart.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:56 AM

Got tired of trying to deal with all that stuff the first year we had our trailer, so we got a lake lot close to Spruce Grove for less than we spent that first year in gas hauling the trailer around and paying camping fees.

I do sometimes miss being able to camp other places but I do have tents and junk I can use if I need to go elsewhere for a weekend. Just not worth pulling the trailer these days I don't think.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherpeak View Post
I`d rather shoot myself in the leg than camp at a public site.I have a million miles of mountain country free for the use.And yes I know it ain`t that easy for some but we take the trailer,the grandkids,the dogs and have a great time with no loud sterio idiots or teen age drunks messing things up.
It just ain`t my thing to pull up next to a hundred other campers ,rather camp at Wal-Mart.
Me too, but in this case, it lets my wife and I camp for a few days while she continues to work (She's a graphic designer and works off of her laptop and tablet) and I commute back to the city for work during the day. We get our evenings and the weekend for some R&R outside of city limits while looking after our work responsibilities.

It has its advantages sometimes.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Me too, but in this case, it lets my wife and I camp for a few days while she continues to work (She's a graphic designer and works off of her laptop and tablet) and I commute back to the city for work during the day. We get our evenings and the weekend for some R&R outside of city limits while looking after our work responsibilities.

It has its advantages sometimes.
Yeah,for sure it does,it just isn`t for me.Only loons I want to hear are the ones swimming around on the lake
Old 02-22-2011, 12:19 PM

The new site is pretty cool, however I have never been a campsite camper. I like camping on Crown land away from everybody...and it's free.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:30 PM

I bought a boat with a bed, no campsite, no worry's. We always, have lake front lol.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:17 PM

Well at least it is nice to think about spring and summer again, just have enough of this winter stuff.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerrat View Post
Today was the day that you can reserve campsites in the provincial parks.
It started at 9.00am and whate a smozzle that is but we got a site @ Bowvalley PP with in 5 minutes everything was booked up, and then the site crashed it couldn't handle all the hits. But what a stupid system that is the Alberta parks reservation.
Booked the May long at Long Lake. I did manage to get our favorite water-front site and did notice that good number of prime sites were snatched within first minute, before the site actually crashed.

Overall I really like the new system. Every year we try to hit 2-3 parks we never been to and it is nice where a person can view photos of each site and then make your selection (you know exactly what you are getting before getting there).
Old 02-22-2011, 03:34 PM
Banned

Ill be parked in the mountains beside a great trout stream with grassy medows and pine forests on may long. No booking, no payment, and no crowd. No one to say we are to noisy, my dog can run where he wishes, my boys can shoot their guns, I can drink as much and as long as I wish, you can see elk, deer and sheep right around camp.
Dont think id ever change that to pay so I can camp beside someone and worry if im offending someone else.
If its the only way you can get out then thats great but sure wont see my 5th wheel parked in any pay stalls!
SG
Old 02-22-2011, 04:25 PM

Yeah of all my years of camping I have never paid to camp at a spot. Used to use a tent and now I am spoiled and use a trailer. But still the closest people are 4 miles away.

I do confess on one nite at Camp Wally World in Pincher Creek though. They were kinda peed off when I tryed to light my campfire though. But was still free. hehe

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com

Last edited by honda450; 02-22-2011 at 04:31 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:37 PM

i too like to camp on crown land. bring the dogs and quads and such. i love quadding up and down small rivers and streams before the mountian run off makes them to deep for quadding. there is also nobody around to hassle or fine you for not taking your garbage out with you when you leave.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:39 PM

kidding...... but i do like solitude over walmart parking lot camgrounds!
Old 02-22-2011, 04:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
i too like to camp on crown land. bring the dogs and quads and such. i love quadding up and down small rivers and streams before the mountian run off makes them to deep for quadding. there is also nobody around to hassle or fine you for not taking your garbage out with you when you leave.
LOL best not to put all people that random camp in that same boat or you could **** a few guys off! Most random campers are very clean and considerate. A couple bad apples doesnt make the whole bag of apples bad!
SG
Old 02-22-2011, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
LOL best not to put all people that random camp in that same boat or you could **** a few guys off! Most random campers are very clean and considerate. A couple bad apples doesnt make the whole bag of apples bad!
SG
i know this. im with you! just being sarcastic about an article in an ao magazine a couple issues back. WOW did the auther ever paint a bad picture about anyone who camped elswhere besides pay-stall campsites. you should read it for a kick!
Old 02-22-2011, 04:51 PM

Haven't booked yet. Still trying to find out where I and my buddies can legally turn our stereos up to "11" all night and light cars on fire.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Haven't booked yet. Still trying to find out where I and my buddies can legally turn our stereos up to "11" all night and light cars on fire.
Ya bring the booze and it can be done. hehe

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 02-22-2011, 05:01 PM

I refuse to camp may long or most any long weekends. When I camp I like peace and quiet and not a rat race everywhere. I will be camping the week leading up to may long and the last two weeks of June before canada day. We enjoy it a lot more for sure. West of Rocky there is no such thing as a quiet spot on may long, there are quads EVERYWHERE!. besides the weather always seems better the weekend before.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:06 PM

We have it all backwards. Why do some yahoos want to party all weekend in the wilderness, yet they want their hunting nice and easy, canned behind fences. SRD shouldn't have piloted the RAMP program, Parks should have. Pay landowners to host wild camping partying ATV'ers and leave the wilderness wild, quiet, and unspoiled.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:51 AM

Any one know of a good "free" place around whitecourt, edson area where a guy can take a trailer and be secluded, all the place i know are just off of oil and logging roads, not to interested in getting dusted out every 10 minutes
Old 02-25-2011, 10:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Downtown Paris. http://www.france24.com/en/20090101-...crime-security
Old 02-25-2011, 11:22 AM

One of the few weekends where it is probably quieter in my back yard in Edmonton than in the 'wild'.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:50 PM

I'll be in Cambodia so have fun at the gong show here!
Old 02-26-2011, 05:34 AM

Around here there is no point in tryin to go out and relax May long weekend... It is too close to grad time and too many drunk kids tryin to see how far they can take a 4x4 on a quad trail.. That should be interesting this year with the amount of snow we have in the mountains!

We usually go out after May long and find a Crown spot, then clean it up and hang out for the summer.. Last year the site took a good solid day of cleaning and redigging the firepit. After the old lawn chairs and old diapers were dug out of it....
Old 04-17-2011, 04:32 PM

what are if there is any legalities of camping on crown land in alberta.

what if i found a spot to camp but needed to do a little clean up with chainsaw that kinda stuff what are u allowed and not allowed to do.