Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-13-2011, 07:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby B. View Post
I wonder where the bad drivers come from, everyone here reads as an excellent driver. Maybe the bad drivers are coming from outer space.

Bobby B.
I guess you should learn to comprehend what you read.Only the original poster wants to drive faster.Every one else seems to be against it.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherpeak View Post
Speed limit here is 100K.On my 15 minute drive to Cranbrook there are 17 crosses by the side of the Hiway.Mountain roads,evil winter weather,idiots....
Steam Boat Hill,just out of Cranbrook has a veritable graveyard on the side of the road,28 crosses at last count.I`m fine with the speed limit,I cheat a bit on good roads but for the most part I follow the rules.In flat land I can see where driving that slow would be a major pain on a long trip,but around here when the sign says slow to 60K.....you better.
Read my lips Bobby B.By the way,did you just get your licence?I feel the 17 year old attitude coming through,hope you live to be my age.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby B. View Post
I wonder where the bad drivers come from, everyone here reads as an excellent driver. Maybe the bad drivers are coming from outer space.

Bobby B.
They are not from outer space,they are among us.

I like to think that I am a good driver because I am very focused when I drive. I speed a bit now,but not like I used to. What I have realized (on my own) is that since my opinion is that I am a good driver it doesn't necessarily make it so. I used think that anyone driving under the limit was holding up traffic and causing others to take chances when overtaking. The question I had for myself was this: If somebody driving 90 in a 100 is an idiot,then what would that make me if I am driving 120 in 100? I'm off the speed limit by twice that of the idiot!!!

Though modern passenger vehicles have come a long way in 20 years with regard to acceleration,handling,braking,safety etc. the truth is that driver training is virtually unchanged. Heavy trucks,buses,etc. have not changed much. Even though I totally sympathize and understand completely what the OP is saying with regards to speed limits.( I would love to get out on a nice road with a BMW,Acura,Mercedes and really drive the car hard as much as anyone) the fact is that there are many others on the road who think that the speed limits are too high and they are nervous and uncomfortable driving 100 km/h.

I TRY not to get upset at people driving too slow for my liking and holding me up. I visualize that it is my Mother driving the vehicle in front of me and that helps me to relax and wait. For all I know the person driving too slow could be a new driver, a nervous driver, someone who just left a funeral for a loved one who died in a car crash etc.

I'm not trying to preach and I'd rather have someone pass me at 30 over the limit than someone almost colliding with me because they are on a cell phone,but the fast (20+over legal)driving just isn't for me anymore.

Please don't give my Mom a dirty look if she's driving a bit slow;she's doing her best!
Old 04-13-2011, 07:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nof60 View Post
I have had my license for about 20 years. I can tell you that todays vehicles are superior in every way (braking, handleing, safety etc.) to the ones I drove when I first got my license. Yet speed limits are exactly the same. Whats up with that?
Are you really stating that speed limits be increased? Surely you jest, most idiots on the road today drive either way too fast or way too slow. Speed limits are there for a reason. And while you may think you can handle yourself just fine at 140kmh, the 21 year old bimbo or ******* (whichever gender you want) can barely manage at 100kmh while juggling the cellphone / blackberry /lipstck/cheesebuger. Speed limits are there to protect people from themselves, and to protect the rest of us from idiots who got their license out of a cracker jack box. When it comes to stuff like this, you're better off just doing what you're told by people who know.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Because while vehicles have improved, the people who aim them haven't.
Exactly why I think the whole GDL program is BS. It took my little cousin 3 years to get his full license, and I can't think of any young man more responsible when it comes to driving. Yet somehow, alot of these little p****s who just got their license and have gone through the GDL program still drive like animals. It might help the younger drivers who are like 16, give them enough time to mature a little bit but that's about it. In my eyes it just screws over all the responsible drivers.

I was telling my pops the other day, I feel sorry for all the guys who have to go through it, who are good responsible drivers. I never had to, and I think if I did, all it would have done is just annoyed me. I think what they should have done instead is just bump the legal age to get the full license. Afterall, that's basically what it is anyway.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christofficer View Post
Exactly why I think the whole GDL program is BS. It took my little cousin 3 years to get his full license, and I can't think of any young man more responsible when it comes to driving. Yet somehow, alot of these little p****s who just got their license and have gone through the GDL program still drive like animals. It might help the younger drivers who are like 16, give them enough time to mature a little bit but that's about it. In my eyes it just screws over all the responsible drivers.

I was telling my pops the other day, I feel sorry for all the guys who have to go through it, who are good responsible drivers. I never had to, and I think if I did, all it would have done is just annoyed me. I think what they should have done instead is just bump the legal age to get the full license. Afterall, that's basically what it is anyway.
how old was your cousin when he went for his GDL.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
how old was your cousin when he went for his GDL.
He was 20 when he got his learner's license..... Same time I had mine for 6 years roughly. He's had his full license for 1 year now without that GDL crap,.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherpeak View Post
I guess you should learn to comprehend what you read.Only the original poster wants to drive faster.Every one else seems to be against it.
I'd laugh but this just ain't that funny...and I believe he's serious. OMG, talk about reading comprehension.........

Bobby B.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:55 PM
Banned

Up here they just passed laws that if you use your phone or text 1rst offence $250 2nd offence $1000 and 15 demerits. I was just wondering if speed limits were too fast 20 years ago or too slow now? I everyone is speeding anyway (including most of you by your reponses) isnt it simpler too just increase the speed limits?
Old 04-13-2011, 09:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
He was 20 when he got his learner's license..... Same time I had mine for 6 years roughly. He's had his full license for 1 year now without that GDL crap,.
You figure he should not have had to go through the GDL because he was 20 and not 16?
Old 04-13-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Up here they just passed laws that if you use your phone or text 1rst offence $250 2nd offence $1000 and 15 demerits. I was just wondering if speed limits were too fast 20 years ago or too slow now? I everyone is speeding anyway (including most of you by your reponses) isnt it simpler too just increase the speed limits?
I think that normal traffic flow generally moves along at roughly 10 over the limit. If the speed limits were increased,drivers would likely still drive 10 over, regardless of what the posted limit is.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
There are certain roads that I will drive and think why is this speed limit so slow, one being a secondary hiway by my place that is 70 km.

However increasing the limits only pushes people closer to there own limits and makes things much less safe.
The backroad into stony drives me nuts..!!!
Old 04-13-2011, 09:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
I don't see where you get that speed limits were to fast then or to slow now??
Just because some people exceed the speed limit is not a reason for raising them. No matter what the limit is set at some one will always exceed it.
And not sure where your going with the cell phone idea.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:52 PM
Banned

I remember hearing about some research on reaction time and speed. After 110-120km reaction time diminishes quickly. Im thinking 100-110 is good... Especially when people do 130-140 anyway
Old 04-13-2011, 11:01 PM

$20 bucks says this thread goes 4 pages.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
$20 bucks says this thread goes 4 pages.

4 PAGES WILL JUST GET IT UP TO SPEED>>>>>>>AWWWWW

If I didn't say it Darter would have.........
Old 04-14-2011, 05:48 AM

Quote:
You figure he should not have had to go through the GDL because he was 20 and not 16?
Yeah that's the whole reason why it's messed up. I am 26 years old now, if I walked into the registry and went to get my learner's, I'd have to go through the whole GDL program. The only way it doesn't apply to you is if you had gotten your learner's license before GDL came into place.

So it's 12 months for class 7, and 24 months for class 5.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:00 AM

^^And what's the problem with that.

As far as I'm concerned it should be harder to get your licence. Mandatory winter driving, defensive driving, evasive manuevering courses every 5 years, then if you pass all of them you get your licence.

Driving is a priveledge...
Old 04-14-2011, 08:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Yeah that's the whole reason why it's messed up. I am 26 years old now, if I walked into the registry and went to get my learner's, I'd have to go through the whole GDL program. The only way it doesn't apply to you is if you had gotten your learner's license before GDL came into place.

So it's 12 months for class 7, and 24 months for class 5.
Just because he's older mean nothing he still has no driving experience
Why did he not get his license at 16.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:10 AM

I second the comment about GDL drivers driving like animals. I go to Lac La Biche fairly often but I avoid it like a plaque during lunch hour when all the high schoolers are out "whipping laps". It's beyond annoying---it's downright dangerous. Just the other day at a set of lights two kids in front of me were signaling and turned into oncoming traffic. The other guy slammed on his breaks to not hit them. The two kids were just pointing and laughing.

Obviously, that has nothing to do with speeding. Speed limits have not been changed for two reasons: Our roads are built for certain limits and although vehicles have come a long way from 20 years ago the drivers have not (that has been said already, I know, I know).

With all the wrecks we have now why do we need to make the limits faster? Most people will just drive even faster then. If someone drove 130 in a 100 zone, they'll probably go 140 in a 110 zone or 150 in a 120 zone and so on and so forth.

Leave the speed limits as is, IMO.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:56 AM

I challange anyone of you who think you are excellant drivers to go pay and attend a Driving School such as Schlumberger has in Crossfields. It will wake most of you up as to your expert driving.

As for speed limits being upped because all the people already speed. I guess we should allow Prostitution, drug use, drinking and driving and the list goes on. Because well many people already do these things. So what if once in a while someone dies or gets hurt doing these things.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctd View Post
I challange anyone of you who think you are excellant drivers to go pay and attend a Driving School such as Schlumberger has in Crossfields. It will wake most of you up as to your expert driving.

As for speed limits being upped because all the people already speed. I guess we should allow Prostitution, drug use, drinking and driving and the list goes on. Because well many people already do these things. So what if once in a while someone dies or gets hurt doing these things.
As long as the prostitutes don't speed i'm in................
Old 04-14-2011, 12:02 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
As long as the prostitutes don't speed i'm in................
Did you know (or care ) that almost ALL prostitutes were abused when young.
Paying a prostitute is sorta like paying a rape victim to let her rapist abuse her once again.

Wonder how I know that? Several ways, I know some girls that became prostitutes, my friend married an X prostitute, I dated a prostitute. And I read a lot. Yeah I know it's not scientific. Then again, I don't need a scientific study to know that most Moose eat twigs in the winter, or that Beaver chew on trees. Sometimes a preponderance of evidence is enough.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:14 PM
Banned

I think every post on here excluding the OP is about keeping the speed limits the same...
Old 04-14-2011, 03:10 PM

Some here say keep them the same, a few want increased speed limits.

But the idiot mandel wants all residential speeds decreased to 40kmh...why???(in some areas it could be needed, but I doubt most people speed like mad in crowded resid. areas)

Probably because, as I have said before, once the revenue from regular speeding starts drying up, as people learn and change their ways, they have to find new ways of making us break laws and collecting money...so what do they do????.....change the laws to catch more people in what eventually becomes rediculous frivilous and illogical laws/rules/and speed limits (I already see signs of it happening-eg. construction zones that stretch for miles past the site) and this is done all under the lie of for our own safety or for others safety.....and the rebound is that we find ways around the law and ignore it altogether.....wait and watch. If this passes before you know it, you'll have to have someone walk ahead of the vehicle with a lantern and flashers.

So before you start worrying about increasing them.....the bigger concern should be that there is pressure to decreased them frivilously and for the revenue they can create.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Slight sidetrack... I'll tell you what burns me about the GDL... My sons both have one. but to get it off and be issued regular licences they apparently have to retake the same written and driving test they took before, and pay for it! If you passed before and been perfect and have a clean record since what on earth is the use of taking it again????? And they certainly shouldn't have to pay. If the record is clean it should just be an automatic mail-out.

Same as my oldest son's youth firearms licence. He took the same course and test as me for my adult one, but once he hits 18 it's not an automatic transfer.... brainless bureaucrats.

At least this is how these things were explained to me. Perhaps I got the wrong story, but.....
Old 04-14-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeart View Post
but I doubt most people speed like mad in crowded resid. areas.
You really believe that Black? Really? I figure a reduction to 40 will ensure most people get below 50. On any road you would care to examine I think you will find most people over the limit to some degree. The folks who stick rigidly to or slightly below the limit usually get passed and honked at pretty frequently.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:09 PM
Gone Hunting

"The folks who stick rigidly to or slightly below the limit usually get passed and honked at pretty frequently. "

I though it was cause I was driving with my turn signal on ....still.

I'm thinking the speed limits are so low because we have so many women drivers.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 04-14-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
You really believe that Black? Really? I figure a reduction to 40 will ensure most people get below 50. On any road you would care to examine I think you will find most people over the limit to some degree. The folks who stick rigidly to or slightly below the limit usually get passed and honked at pretty frequently.
I doubt there is a general problem......and the original proposal was to decrease the speed limit in select neighborhoods where there was concern raised........but the idiot mandel wants it city wide.

So follow my logic....if there is a problem with speeding in some neighborhoods, ticket them and the problem/makers will be addressed.

If the neighborhood is too crowded for a 50k speed limit, then its probably not a great spot for someone to speed in the first place and highly likely that the delinquents that are doing this to cause the neighborhood concern are also doing a lot of other things like stunting, loud bumble-bee mufflers, cranked stereos....and probably on the wrong side of the law when it comes to pot or booze in the vehicle. So it simple...target the problems...get their adze off the side of the road, put away their photoradar equip and get out there and patrol these areas of complaint and deal with the trouble makers.

Now if these idiots are unconcerned of their current dangerous actions, will a new speed limit actually fix anything or stop them from what they are currently doing???.....highly unlikely.

Or is it some ninnys in some neighborhoods that would like you to push your vehicle out of the neighborhood and only then will they finally feel safe.

I drive in the city plenty, but have yet to see a problem in the neighborhoods....other than the reckless same class of individuals....but they are also the ones driving like fools everywhere else as well.

So you have some problem individuals...but we all get to have the laws (that they will ignore anyway) applied to fix a problem that is not the true problem...them being idiots.

But it sure does make it much easier to bring in the buck from those that drive for the road and traffic and area conditions....and catch us in, now many many more, spots that have no problems and have a speed limit that is absurdly low for the conditions.

It all about safety....just like gun control and its flawed ideals of regulating the non-problems and ignoring the real problems.........and not about money.......yeah right..... if you really beleive that, I want to meet someone who has their rose colored glases glued on.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Did you know (or care ) that almost ALL prostitutes were abused when young.
Paying a prostitute is sorta like paying a rape victim to let her rapist abuse her once again.

Wonder how I know that? Several ways, I know some girls that became prostitutes, my friend married an X prostitute, I dated a prostitute. And I read a lot. Yeah I know it's not scientific. Then again, I don't need a scientific study to know that most Moose eat twigs in the winter, or that Beaver chew on trees. Sometimes a preponderance of evidence is enough.
WOW......Who crapped in your corn flacks