Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-16-2011, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Not a word of a lie. They are currently giggling away having a pillow fight,
They must of over heard him and have now joined him in the fun or they cracked em over the head with a empty rum bottle .
Old 04-16-2011, 06:34 AM

Kfc is now run by private franchises. They try to save a little bit of money here and there so they cut corners like saveing on the breading etc... The friers have been electric since the 50 s In edmonton most kfc were burger kings. Private company that had 12 outlets. Not the same burgerking there now. I know the old owners. Back when places gave a dam about food and service. Cut corners = bad taste. After the frier they are supossed to let the chicken sit in a special warmer for at least one hour, I dont think most of them do that now. They should filter there oil every day at least which most dont do. they should change the oil at least once a week depending how much it is used. If its used more change more. They save money but compremise taste now. All about money. The old burger kings used to have min 4 friers in the smallest stores so the oil would never be too cold before use. One store on 97 st and 130 ave used to have 12 cookers to keep up with demand. Thats a lot of chicken in a day. What I miss about the old burgerkings is the triple king canadian burger or triple king mushroom cheese. Those were the best burgers around. Not any thing like the crap U.S.A burgerkings we have today. Been to them twice in the last ten years and never again. Both times they were crap , small portions etc....
Old 04-16-2011, 06:37 AM

Memory is a funny thing. We all have childhood memories that sadly are shattered when we revisit them in adulthood. Memory gets altered a bit everytime we pull it up and put it back in the recesses of our mind.
Evident if you journal something and compare it 20 years later to the memory in your head.

KFC like any other business has managed their costs to increase profits. The best way to do that is to beat up your suppliers to reduce their margins. So the suppliers find ways to decrease their costs-All downhill from here.

Cheaper chicken, different fryer fats, flour, quality of spices and staff availability and training plus many more.

Are you different now then when you were a kid? more sceptical, tired and disillusioned-

I am.

Well so is KFC
Old 04-16-2011, 06:57 AM

Chester Fried chicken would be my first preference, but hard to find. So I settle for dirty bird at KFC once in a while, and like most have mentioned, it seems like the warmers as well as the oil not being hot enuf or something.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
Definitely better as a kid. Gravy definitely tasted better, could stand a spoon in it LOL, chicken didnt stay in warmers, whatever happened with the grecian bread? I rarely go, always disappointed urghhhhh
Shameless plug for the Crowsnest Pass-
1/
The Crowsnest Pass is full of significant world changing history. Did you know that the very first KFC in Canada was in the CNP? And Colonel Saunders himself came to visit! During his visit he sampled the local chicken gravy and was smitten. He took the recipe and instituted it across the entire the company
2/
Today, Frank is a quiet residential community of about 200 people, with few hints of its promising past. It is the smallest of the five towns that amalgamated into the Municipality of Crowsnest Pass in 1979. (Oh, and an improved recipe for Colonel Sanders’ KFC gravy was developed in the kitchen of the Turtle Mountain Inn around 1960.)
Old 04-16-2011, 07:34 AM

When they changed the oil the chicken was cooked in a few years ago it changed the taste and it's no where near the same. Back in the day nothing like some cold kfc on a fishing trip ! I actually used a piece for bait back in the 80's and caught a 3 pound bully..
Old 04-16-2011, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
As memory goes, KFC seemed better back in the day, but then our tastes do mature as well. If you're in Calgary, don't slum it at KFC, go down to 14th Street at Kensington Rd and hit Chicken on The Way, hands down the best fried chicken in town.
Anybody remember when Billy opened the Chicken on the Way? That was a hot spot late Friday's and Saturdays.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:34 AM
Banned

mary brown's is much better than kfc.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeZee View Post
Chester Fried chicken would be my first preference, but hard to find. So I settle for dirty bird at KFC once in a while, and like most have mentioned, it seems like the warmers as well as the oil not being hot enuf or something.
Yes, Chester Fried for the win!

I don't think I've seen one since my Saskatchewan days though.

Mary Brown's isn't too bad.

KFC I really can't stand anymore. It's a little better leftover after all the grease has congealed though

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 04-16-2011, 08:58 AM
Gone Hunting

When I moved from On to B.C. just after the Jurassic Period, I noticed a big difference in KFC and gave up eating it for many years.
Fast forward to 1995, Wife and kids headed out for camping weekend and we grabbed a bucket. Selling chicken in a bucket should have been a clue of what was to come.
Everyone was projectile vomiting within an hour of eating it.

My wife still will not touch a piece of KFC and I've had it maybe twice in 15 years.

I like Church's Chicken. Crispy and large pieces. We don't have one in Bodo, actually we don't have anything in Bodo, not even a chicken, but anytime I'm on the road and see one I have a couple pieces.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 04-16-2011, 09:02 AM

MARY BROWNS IS DELICIOUS , much better than KFC .... on the rock its called Mother browns for a reason , just like mom makes !!!
Old 04-16-2011, 09:17 AM

Talking Cold KFC

I use to love KFC as a kid, We were living in Sioux Lookout Ont at the time and the nearest KFC was in Dryden, 1hr+ away. It was a real treat to bring in a cold drumstick to school the next day for lunch. The best I've had ever has been Chicken Delight, not your typical greasy duck KFC.
I hear theres another good chicken place in Fort Sask...Marys or something rather??
Old 04-16-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I'm gonna veer the thread over a bit and ask how many members recall the wax paper cartons with a plastic closure that you'd get at A&W? We'd hit the one that used to be on 16th Ave NW. I'm not sure if its on the same lot now, or if they were a bit more to the west at the time (1970's)
I do.

When I was a kid, we'd occasionally go to the A&W drive in on 14th street and, oh... 10th avenue SW? I loved the Chubby Chicken, there. Dad was driving a green '74 Charger. I was in grade 1. LOL
Old 04-16-2011, 11:47 AM

i worked at the strathmore kfc back in the 80s ,its definatly changed .i was never into the chicken but the burgers that we made were good .im still trying to remember the sauce for the canadian burger .it had ham on it.sooo good.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:59 PM

Mary browns as the best legs in town,,,,it was better deep fried in peanut oil ' tho.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:18 PM

If I may the very best chicken (fried) was Broasted chicken we got back in Onterrible.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:03 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post
If I may the very best chicken (fried) was Broasted chicken we got back in Onterrible.
Ah! Maria's. My Grand mother lived around the corner from there.

What was the name of that place in Windsor that had the chickens on a spit in the window?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 04-16-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post

What was the name of that place in Windsor that had the chickens on a spit in the window?
Swiss Chalet.
Dodger
Old 04-16-2011, 06:08 PM

Nandos in Calgary is good, not deep fried though.
Last couple times The chicken has been raw from Kfc. Doubt I'll have it again.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
Swiss Chalet.
Dodger
But not everybody can get in. There's an age requirement. You need to produce proof of 65 years or older to get through the front door or up the ramp before they let you in. It used to be a guy could put a blue or grey wig on the girlfriend or wife after she sat in the bathtub for 2 hours and claim he was taking his Mom or Grandmother out for a lovely dinner. Now everybody gets I.D'd. at the door.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Hunter Okotoks View Post
But not everybody can get in. There's an age requirement. You need to produce proof of 65 years or older to get through the front door or up the ramp before they let you in. It used to be a guy could put a blue or grey wig on the girlfriend or wife after she sat in the bathtub for 2 hours and claim he was taking his Mom or Grandmother out for a lovely dinner. Now everybody gets I.D'd. at the door.

The secret is to take 15 minutes to park then 15 minutes to walk to the front door, no questions asked about my age ;0 . Just for good measure I go and pee a 1/2 dozen times before my meal arrives.

Dodger.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:17 PM

Talking

those last 2 posts were GREAT! LMAO
Old 04-16-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
The secret is to take 15 minutes to park then 15 minutes to walk to the front door, no questions asked about my age ;0 . Just for good measure I go and pee a 1/2 dozen times before my meal arrives.

Dodger.
That makes sense. I will throw a little spin on this the next time I attempt to get in. I will "Feel My Way Along" in the parking lot making sure to scuff at least 3 bumpers or fenders with my borrowed circa 1986 Oldsmobile 88. If I sense suspicions, I will talk even louder and complain about Rap Music,gangs and robots. If everything goes OK by that point, I will be sure to ask for a couple of Polident Tablets along with a Scotch mint be brought with the cheque that I will leave a $0.37 tip on. This of course all occurs before 5:00 PM.( It would seem odd going out for supper at bedtime which is 6:30-7:00)

It would be a good idea to compliment the servers Slacks(or trousers) and Sneakers.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Not a word of a lie. They are currently giggling away having a pillow fight,
Pics would help us be more understanding of your situation.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:37 PM
Banned

I look at the KFC blue dumpster behind the building. If there are no longer any sea-gulls flying around that dumpster I just keep on driving.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
That makes sense. I will throw a little spin on this the next time I attempt to get in. I will "Feel My Way Along" in the parking lot making sure to scuff at least 3 bumpers or fenders with my borrowed circa 1986 Oldsmobile 88. If I sense suspicions, I will talk even louder and complain about Rap Music,gangs and robots. If everything goes OK by that point, I will be sure to ask for a couple of Polident Tablets along with a Scotch mint be brought with the cheque that I will leave a $0.37 tip on. This of course all occurs before 5:00 PM.( It would seem odd going out for supper at bedtime which is 6:30-7:00)

It would be a good idea to compliment the servers Slacks(or trousers) and Sneakers.
Great, now I went and peed myself
Dodger.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post

TBQ

They had the good ribs too.
They sell their sauce by the bottle no less.

Funny I figured you would recognize the broasted chicken. Good darn stuff
Old 04-16-2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:
ya,,,,,,,, whatever....... haha!
Old 04-16-2011, 09:23 PM

think of the chickens!!!
Old 04-16-2011, 10:01 PM

Was a loyal KFC guy for many many years but the last few years the taste has turned me off especially after sitting at the drive thru looking at fries, chicken pieces etc on the floor and the employees walking thru it like it wasn't there. Man sure miss that stuff back in the day.
It's the same everywhere's though, look at your typical McGurgles, A&W,Wendy's, the burger patties are so thin the cow never felt it when they cut it off him.
It's nice when you do find the rare spot that still makes a good old fashioned meal, log those into your gps.