Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-17-2011, 10:43 AM

Default Gas Prices.. Changing your summer plans ?

As it looks as though gas prices are only going to go up and of course prices in the groceries stores are going to continue to go up..Was wondering has anyone or are you considering changing your Vacation plans or other trips ?
Maybe cancelling the annual trip to the BC interior and maybe able to one trip to Saskatchewan for fishing but not the usual .
Anyone else looking at this type of scenario ?
Old 04-17-2011, 10:50 AM

If my tank is empty then I will fill it up like I always do,no changes here.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:52 AM

Default won't

be going camping every other weekend like we had planned. Probably every third or just once a month. The quad trips will be cut back as well might only get out once a month for that as well. Last year if we weren't quading checking game cams we were camping/fishing. So ya we will probably cut that in half this year.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:54 AM

I will be flying to winnipeg instead of driving... as always though.................

other than that... fishing trips anywhere over 2 hours drive will probably done with camping or lodging of some sort.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:02 AM
Gone Hunting

I plan to do fewer trips and stay longer, which is actually a better plan. Go to a lake and stay for 4-5 days instead of two days. Travel during the week and stay home on weekends. I've got lots to do at home with training dogs/horses/wife. Grand daughter can come fishing/camping this year.

More garden and maybe some free range chickens. I don't care for the processed commercial birds, but I have to be careful not to get too many chicks. Last time we had way more birds than we needed.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 04-17-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLeod View Post
As it looks as though gas prices are only going to go up and of course prices in the groceries stores are going to continue to go up..Was wondering has anyone or are you considering changing your Vacation plans or other trips ?
Maybe cancelling the annual trip to the BC interior and maybe able to one trip to Saskatchewan for fishing but not the usual .
I fill up the Same as always,I just try not to accelerate fast or do 140mph on the #1,thats saves some gas.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:11 AM

No big changes here, just a little easier on the gas pedal and probably use the smaller boat instead of the big one, all and all, if it costs a few bucks extra to enjoy what we enjoy then so be it
Old 04-17-2011, 11:18 AM

Instead of going to BC I will now consider going to Montana and/or Idaho for vacation. The gas prices are much lower and the scenery is equally as beautiful.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennettcw View Post
No big changes here, just a little easier on the gas pedal and probably use the smaller boat instead of the big one, all and all, if it costs a few bucks extra to enjoy what we enjoy then so be it
Yaa them 2 stroke's on boats are Gas Pigs,you can burn a $100.00 worth of gas in a day when fuel prices are high.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:22 AM
Banned

nothing changing here I don't drive as much I used to,$20 in gas lasts me 4-5 days now if not longer.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:23 AM

For us we will be going out more often this year.Just parked a new trailer on the driveway. Now just need to wait for some decent weather,and we will start a new season in comfort.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:15 PM

Default Summer Driving

I'm still doing the "seven wonders of Alberta" tour.
I won't take the 5th wheel with the camper on it.I'll load up the RC Silverado and drive it. I plan on staying at a farmers house where I hunt South of Coronation. I'll tent it, maybe stay in a no-tell a few days and maybe William Watson lodge for a night.
I'll still go to Wabasca or Slave for a week on two occasions. I'll still run premium in the boat tank.. Always have, always will.

I may even take the 1 ton and 24' equipment trailer out to the Kitchener area to pick up a Challenger for my sisters boyfriend. I told him $5000, but I might have to look closer at that if fuel goes up.

I have a family reunion in the Coal branch (Cadomin) and another in Edson at Wildrose RV park.

I'm still driving all over Rural Alberta on the auction scene, mostly because I'm addicted. It's a family curse! If I have a bidder number in my pocket, look out.

What I will do is plan my trips across town better, maybe wait till I have lot's of buisness to take care of in that area. These little out -takes kill fuel economy.

Wherever I drive I will most likely be on cruise set at the dreaded speed limit or maybe even 5 km's under.
Don't give me the Klein salute if you pass me. Just understand my motives.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyJ View Post
If my tank is empty then I will fill it up like I always do,no changes here.
Exactly! My plans won't be changed one bit
Old 04-17-2011, 01:46 PM

Just bought a car which gets twice the gas mileage that the truck does, so driving will be cheap.
Old 04-17-2011, 02:03 PM
Banned

my plan is to do all the things i have in mind........and whine like hell at every fillup......meh....
Old 04-17-2011, 02:04 PM

Will still do spring bear hunt,but istead of going weekends will pick the best time to go and stay until I run out of tags.Same in the fall.Cant hardly wait!!!
Old 04-17-2011, 03:44 PM

I have been doing lots of offroading with my Jeep for the last several years. this year decided to pull way back on that and going to try my hand at fishing and hunting. Know very little of both but have friends willing to teach me.
Once thing I will change is bitch more about prices.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLeod View Post
Makes no difference to me....there are worse way to loose money.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:30 PM

With gas prices and gas running out, I don't let my car rev over 3000 unless merging onto highways. My car is a standard and whenever crusing along on slower roads and stuff, I shift so the car revs under 2000 and it saves alot on gas that way IMO. When it cruises at over 2000RPM that's a different story though.

I hear that ethanol is also cheaper than pertroleum fuel so if there is ever any gas station up here that provides ethanol, I may convert my car to run on it. My car is newer than a 90s car so apprently all I would have to do is simply plug in a special fuel injector controller.

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Old 04-17-2011, 07:05 PM

Going to take our motorcycles and mini tent trailer down to the states. Also going to camp around Eastern Alberta.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:18 PM

We will still be doing our annual motorcycle tour of Montana and Idaho, but we will likely stay out of B.C. altogether this year.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:22 PM

i am not doing anything different mine as well keep plans the same who knows the gas prices might be ever higher next year and you only live once.

JUST GIVER

CN
Old 04-17-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denpacc View Post
Instead of going to BC I will now consider going to Montana and/or Idaho for vacation. The gas prices are much lower and the scenery is equally as beautiful.
Just got back... gas is cheaper, diesel is more expensive. Doing conversion from American gallons to litres.