Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-09-2017, 04:33 PM

Default Thoughts on dry-firing

The decision seems to be split on whether its ok or not. When I was a kid I had several buddies tell me not to dry fire their guns so I always thought it was damaging. Then I'm watching an episode of Meat Eater and he's getting training with a US Marine sniper instructor who says, "Dryfire, dryfire, dryfire, as much as you want in the beginning, when getting used to your new rifle, in order to get used to the resistance of your trigger"

Researching online and talking to buddies has pretty much rendered the same result....50% say its fine 50% say its a big no no.

Any thoughts?
Old 11-09-2017, 04:35 PM

I've dry fired a ton out of my rifle without much issue. Maybe it's only an older rifle that has the issues and rimfire? If you are worried you could always make dummy rounds with silicone primers. But dry firing IMO is an amazing training too
Old 11-09-2017, 04:42 PM
Banned

We routinely trained by dry firing everything in the Military with no issues whatsoever. If it caused any problems I'm positive that the Weapons Techs would have advised that we not do it and we'd be ordered to stop. I think that it may have been something to be concerned with at one time but it isn't an issue with modern weapons.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:43 PM

I think it is a way for someone to sell dummy rounds with silicone primers without feeling guilty and retailer to say 'oh you just dry fired it, SOLD!!!'

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-09-2017, 04:49 PM

I dry fire my centre fires a lot. .22 is cheap enough to shoot that I don't bother dry firing, just range time. Have heard it will damage a rim fire though.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-09-2017, 05:15 PM

I do as the manufacturer says. If they say don't dry fire it, I don't.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:23 PM
Gone Hunting

Years ago I've dry fired 30-30 Winchester Lever Action and heard clink...clink...clank.
There was tip of the firing pin on the floor.

I did not dry fired this gun again after I've got new pin.

I am dry firing bolt actions no problem.

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY
Old 11-09-2017, 05:45 PM

My thoughts on dry firing is yes, a vasectom.......................................... ....................ohhh that kinda dry firing, yeah its a personal choice
Old 11-10-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Huntnfish View Post
The decision seems to be split on whether its ok or not. When I was a kid I had several buddies tell me not to dry fire their guns so I always thought it was damaging. Then I'm watching an episode of Meat Eater and he's getting training with a US Marine sniper instructor who says, "Dryfire, dryfire, dryfire, as much as you want in the beginning, when getting used to your new rifle, in order to get used to the resistance of your trigger"

Researching online and talking to buddies has pretty much rendered the same result....50% say its fine 50% say its a big no no.

Any thoughts?
I have in the past with center fire guns no problems but never never with 22 cal. That's just me
Old 11-10-2017, 09:16 AM

I never do. Snap caps for everything unless I can de-cock the hammer. (easy on bolt guns) Why? I hate replacing firing pins. Granted, I haven't HAD to, but I chalk that up to never dry firing.

I recently had to replace the firing pins on a 1979 (inherited) 20ga. Browning Citori. Turns out replacement pins from Browning have to be "made to fit". Basically, a hand drill, files, a Dremel, paper and Scotchbrite pads...and one heck of allot of patience/test-fitting. I bought 20ga (red aluminum) snap caps for that gun before I took possession of it, but it's previous owner either wore them out..or dry fired it allot maybe..? Regardless, dry firing is easy to avoid, so I avoid it.