Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-06-2015, 02:44 PM

Default May long fly fishing

I am trying to plan a May long fly fishing trip to the Rocky/Nordegg/anywhere but it seems that most rivers aren't open for fishing until June 16...any suggestions on where to go??
Old 05-06-2015, 02:56 PM

North Saskatchewan river is open all along there.
Old 05-06-2015, 04:53 PM

Clearwater and its tributaries are mostly open , as is North Raven and Praire. Actually there's quit a bit open in the RMH area. Check the regs.
Old 05-06-2015, 04:56 PM

Yup most of the area close to Rocky & Caroline is already open. Everything higher up will be closed til June 16 I think.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejulien12 View Post
I am trying to plan a May long fly fishing trip to the Rocky/Nordegg/anywhere but it seems that most rivers aren't open for fishing until June 16...any suggestions on where to go??
Sibbald flats, i caught 25 rainbow trouts last week end- catch and release ok! lol. im heading tomorrow to try my luck again!
Old 05-17-2015, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian2016 View Post
Sibbald flats, i caught 25 rainbow trouts last week end- catch and release ok! lol. im heading tomorrow to try my luck again!
Seems quite far from nordegg lol, meadows pond must have been stocked last week...... I wonder if they re gonna stock cutts in there this year.a and to the OP you've got mitchell, phylis, birch, burnstick, and dixon trout pond to head to, should all be open.
Old 05-17-2015, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian2016 View Post
Were you fishing the ponds? Is it been stocked?
Old 05-19-2015, 11:44 AM

Joe I was there yesterday. Yes Sibald pond was stocked. There were probably 6 guys in float tubes, 2 on pontoon boats one aluminum boat with 3 guys in it. Probably 20+ people fishing from shore. We were there probably 3 hours. I caught one from shore and saw one other caught by one of the guys on the float tube. Lots of fish jumping. I don't think it was long ago they were stocked. It should be fished out by June though. There is quite a few that go there for the harvest.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
There were probably 6 guys in float tubes, 2 on pontoon boats one aluminum boat with 3 guys in it. Probably 20+ people fishing from shore. We were there probably 3 hours. I caught one from shore and saw one other caught by one of the guys on the float tube.
Sounds like it was a zoo.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:25 PM

might as well go to the fishmonger, it's quieter.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:29 PM

Yes it was a zoo... I was there on both Sunday and Monday. There were soooo many people fishing on both side of the shore. I was there at 3pm, and good thing I stayd till 8:30pm. most people were gone by around 7:30. And that's when the best part begin after the shade of the mountain start to cover the pond, fishes went on frenzy mode. switched to dry and bang bang bang!
Note: "We all have fishing license so we can keep 20 fish in total" - By a group of power bait caster sits next to where I was fishing.
Hopefully the the place will be fished out soon...
Old 05-19-2015, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstream View Post
Yes it was a zoo... I was there on both Sunday and Monday. There were soooo many people fishing on both side of the shore. I was there at 3pm, and good thing I stayd till 8:30pm. most people were gone by around 7:30. And that's when the best part begin after the shade of the mountain start to cover the pond, fishes went on frenzy mode. switched to dry and bang bang bang!
Note: "We all have fishing license so we can keep 20 fish in total" - By a group of power bait caster sits next to where I was fishing.
Hopefully the the place will be fished out soon...
sounds awesome, hooked a good sized trout in the mountains this past month, looks like the stillwater season has begun with the stockings and now the hatches .Have you seen Any BMOs ,march browns or caddises yet? Definitely saw some mosquitoes the day i went out. The pond will get fished out by the week after next week I'm sure.