Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-19-2015, 04:33 PM

Default Calgary in July

I am going to be in Calgary from July 11-19 this summer. I have been given the freedom to go and do as much fly fishing as I can handle in those 8 days!! Of course I'll be trying the Bow... but I'm also looking for some small streams to get into for some little trout. I'd like to limit the travelling to less than 2 hours from the city, but would also really enjoy hiking into some spots that are off the beaten path.

Of course I'm not looking for the secret holes, but I am hoping to get some direction or starting points for my own exploration into Southern Alberta.

You all seem like a decent bunch...any tips or suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Ozzz
Old 05-20-2015, 10:09 AM

HIGHWOOD! Head west of Longview and you won't want to ever leave. Only an hour from the city
Old 05-20-2015, 12:57 PM

Cataract Creek was decent but I haven't been there since the last flood. Same with the Livingston.
I also enjoy Three Point creek but anything more than a 3 wt rod in my experience would be overkill.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:47 PM

There are some nice lakes to fish in Kananaskis if you aren't dead set on fishing moving water only. Sparrow's Egg Lake has some good sized rainbows as long as it didn't winter kill. Rawson Lake is beautiful and has cutties, as does Pickle Jar Lakes. Elbow Lake is full of little stunted brookies, but the surrounding scenery makes up for it.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:49 PM

Oldman is great, at the farther end of your range though
Old 05-20-2015, 07:46 PM

Jumpingpound creek is always fun to fish
Old 05-21-2015, 07:21 PM

you have a lot of options. I'd hit a bigger river like the bow, then a smaller one like the upper highwood or livingstone, then an alpine lake that scott mentioned, then pick a random tributary of the highwood, elbow, or bow to explore (check your regs).

after that pick your favorite to fish again

may also wanna fish Pine Coulee reservoir. Go on a weekday, fish a streamer on the bottom. Walleye every second cast most days if you figure it out.

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire