Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-13-2015, 09:37 AM

Default Truck Exhaust Question

The section of exhaust below the muffle has separated and is hanging freely. How do I mate the section back to the muffler? Do I need it welded or can I use a clamp of some type? It appears that it is designed to fit inside the sleeve of the muffler
Old 09-13-2015, 09:43 AM

Nowadays, time to buy a new truck. Can't afford that, better plan on replacing the entire exhaust system.

Grizz
Old 09-13-2015, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Nowadays, time to buy a new truck. Can't afford that, better plan on replacing the entire exhaust system.

Grizz
It's an 05 and the exhaust is after market
Old 09-13-2015, 10:10 AM

If the pipe & muffler are still fairly solid, push the pipe in & clamp it, or weld if you have the equipment.
Old 09-13-2015, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcmax05 View Post
If the pipe & muffler are still fairly solid, push the pipe in & clamp it, or weld if you have the equipment.
Both are solid. I'll try a clamp and see if it does the job
Old 09-13-2015, 10:50 AM

Probably best thing is to use this opportunity to install a set of stainless Dynatech long-tube headers, cats, y-tube, and single large muffler; custom-made for your vehicle make & model. All clamps, no welding.

Did that not too long ago, and my truck is super happy now. Much better response, noticeably better power/torque, slightly better mileage, about same loudness as stock but sharper note. Got pushed into it this year because of manifold corrosion/cracking, but wish I would have done it years ago.
Old 09-13-2015, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty View Post
Probably best thing is to use this opportunity to install a set of stainless Dynatech long-tube headers, cats, y-tube, and single large muffler; custom-made for your vehicle make & model. All clamps, no welding.

Did that not too long ago, and my truck is super happy now. Much better response, noticeably better power/torque, slightly better mileage, about same loudness as stock but sharper note. Got pushed into it this year because of manifold corrosion/cracking, but wish I would have done it years ago.
So a pipe comes out of the muffler & you think this is the best opportunity to replace the entire exhaust system from the heads back
Old 09-13-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcmax05 View Post
So a pipe comes out of the muffler & you think this is the best opportunity to replace the entire exhaust system from the heads back
Yeah.

Because you have to deal with the problem now anyway, and a dragging pipe is a sign there could be a lot more rotten or maybe badly built than is immediately obvious. It's not like your shoelace just got untied.

If you care about improved performance, all the more reason do it now when things have to be purchased and worked on anyway. If you don't, then whatever...
Old 09-13-2015, 04:37 PM

OK
Old 09-20-2015, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty View Post

I could not agree with you more, If your going to do it, do it right. If your gonna scab it up, hack the exhaust system off after the cats. If your lucky your wagon will not have Cats.

Good Luck