Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-25-2014, 02:44 PM

Thumbs up Where do we sign up!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertacoyotecaller View Post
I am all for it, both from a safety end, a community respect end and from the point that we don't need stuff regulated for the wrong reason.

I think it is a winnable fight and the positives outweigh the negatives. Just have to fight hard to overcome the bad laws and educate people.
I would say yes too its a winnable fight for sure positives outweigh the negatives just buy how people talk about it hear on the forum., Its the politicians that need to be EDUCATED!!. with there out to lunch laws. LOL.
Old 05-25-2014, 02:54 PM

As property development stretches further out toward long standing ranges this is the intelligent kind of solution to look at. But, just because it's intelligent doesn't mean it's going to happen.

I'd invest my energy elsewhere tbh.
Old 08-18-2015, 12:48 AM

Sorry to necro, but they did legalize tannerite. I can buy up to 44lbs of binary explosives per day with only my non restricted pal which lets be honest, a silencer could have allot more legitimate purposes than an exploding target...
Old 08-18-2015, 12:59 AM
Banned

If I had to guess, because I don't know why they are illegal I'd say it's for the gangsta guys doing the drive by shooting. People wouldn't hear as much and more chances of these turkeys getting away. I would vote no for suppressors But I'm also watching the first 48 at the moment.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:16 AM

It will never happen, just like open carry.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:08 AM

Yeah, no way in hell they "allow" us to use them or CC. They will do everything in their power to take away gun owners rights not add to them.

And many gun owners on this forum have and continue to vote for the NDP. SMH Incredible.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:12 PM

Kinda seems to me that the anti's would use it to their advantage. However that is just my thought.

I would support the movement though!!
Old 09-15-2015, 08:16 PM

In spite of their crazy gun laws, they are legal for use in the U.K. So why not here with our slightly less crazy gun laws?
Old 09-15-2015, 09:24 PM

Default Suppresors

The UK uses supressors because of their stringent health and safety laws. We aren't that smart. Imagine being able to stand around at a range and not be deafened? Imagine ranges close to town and not having noise complaints, imagine hunting without terrifying non hunters with our noise? No sir! We don't need any of that intelligence in Canada.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:55 PM

Thumbs up Well said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
The UK uses supressors because of their stringent health and safety laws. We aren't that smart. Imagine being able to stand around at a range and not be deafened? Imagine ranges close to town and not having noise complaints, imagine hunting without terrifying non hunters with our noise? No sir! We don't need any of that intelligence in Canada.
Well said calgarychef i can't see how people have the hogwash images on surpressors don't buy one if you think you would like one. Drive by shootings COME ON!!. I can't believe some one said that!. But if it came to regards to bringing them in we should all join together and vote yes just to support a fellow shooter in haveing a choice. It would help us all for the best reasons to fight for anything to do with firearms. We just have to much conflict with in ourselves that we CAN'T!!!! SUPPORT each other in what would be a choice to have as a shooter or a hunter. It only pertains to your choice but DAM IT!! you still have a choice and thats what its all about haveing a choice at all. Because as i see it now we are limited to the gun rights and the laws we have now which is not much at all. So not supporting each other now just shows the intelligence we have in Canada.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
I'd say the reason the gov't would never allow supressors or CC is because Canada doesn't have that intelligence. People aren't disciplined enough to not break the laws with such liberties.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 09-16-2015, 01:07 AM

Default Supressors

As has been mentioned multiple times....you can still hear a rifle shot with a suppressor. It's not a poachers tool and not very handy for the thugs to ride around with.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:19 AM

It would be nice if they were 'optional' where we could choose to add them to our firearms.

Hopefully the powers that be don't think this 'good idea' should become mandatory.... I would not be able to afford to put supressors on all my rifles

It would be fun on my varmint gun.... pay a 200.00 tax stamp, and get it for the .204's
Old 09-16-2015, 05:14 AM

Too many people law-makers AND gun owners included believe what they see in movies. No Virginia even a pistol with a suppressor does not make a "Pew Pew" sound.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:27 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Legalize them.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-16-2015, 06:34 AM

I would like to think the people who live near a range would appreciate the lower decibel levels but not every firearm owner in the province or country is going to run out and set up all their firearms with muffler system if they are legalized so whats the point. I also don't think it has much value in a hunting situation but I have never used or heard the effects of one so I'm talking out of my posterior. I guess if it happens, it happens but I wont hold my breath. It makes no difference to me.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:39 AM

Default Supressors

Some information that I can offer....

I've shot at Bisley range in England and it's in the middle if all kinds of habitation supressors aren't mandatory there but the members like to see them on loud n' boomers. The hunting there is always close to some neighbour or other much like the hunting around many of our cities and towns. If you're hunting on agriculrural land in alberta there's a good chance that one or more neighbours will hear that sonic crack. Many,many people become anti hunters when they hear our shots ringing out, it makes them think there's way more shooting than is actually going on. Shooting a suppressed rife is actually a pleasant experience!

There's no viable reason to disallow supressors it's simply irrational fear of something we haven't had much experience with.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Juice? View Post
It would be nice if they were 'optional' where we could choose to add them to our firearms.

Hopefully the powers that be don't think this 'good idea' should become mandatory.... I would not be able to afford to put supressors on all my rifles

It would be fun on my varmint gun.... pay a 200.00 tax stamp, and get it for the .204's
you just need one for each caliber if that helps

i wouldn't be upset if they made them mandatory on crown land but private land is none of their concern.

i would love to not be hearing damaged because i am deprived of my basic freedom to protect myself.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:18 PM
Banned

Having used them a lot living in England we must work to get them as an option here.

The best ear protection in the world isn't good enough when using centre fire firearms. You are still over the dangerous level.
I would use them on every rifle I own. There are very few downsides.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:18 AM

Thumbs up Any ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchiespg View Post
Having used them a lot living in England we must work to get them as an option here.

The best ear protection in the world isn't good enough when using centre fire firearms. You are still over the dangerous level.
I would use them on every rifle I own. There are very few downsides.
I have used them in the US and all the places we were shooting the owners had great things to say on the lower decibes. I would like to think the people who live near a range or just in a area that has someone that likes to shoot a lot would appreciate it too. It would benift a firearm owner in the province or country its been proven. I guess its just a start but would someone know how to try to get a partition or letter in for reviewing?
Old 09-17-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryry4 View Post
We can't even keep legal guns legal in Canukistan. I have no issue with them but I think there's a snowballs chance in Hades that it'll happen in my lifetime.
Yep, Agreed.

We'll get suppressors right before they legalize "handgun hunting"..........
Old 09-17-2015, 09:16 AM

I have nothing against suppressors I just don't think I'd like having that big thing on my barrel.
Hollywood's "psst psst" sound is firmly embedded in the gun ignorant public making "silencers" a deadly weapon
Old 09-17-2015, 09:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
I have nothing against suppressors I just don't think I'd like having that big thing on my barrel.
Hollywood's "psst psst" sound is firmly embedded in the gun ignorant public making "silencers" a deadly weapon
Why? They weigh barely anything. And most rifles in places with suppressors have short barrel versions. My 22 was 14" and 308 16".
They tighten groups. Reduce felt recoil. And despite what counter strike on the play station tells you they don't slow the bullet.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchiespg View Post
Why? They weigh barely anything. And most rifles in places with suppressors have short barrel versions. My 22 was 14" and 308 16".
They tighten groups. Reduce felt recoil. And despite what counter strike on the play station tells you they don't slow the bullet.
I prefer compact rifles especially when pushing bush the smaller and shorter the better. I have never seen a suppresser I am assuming they are filled with some baffles and some sort of noise absorbing material they must weigh something. What would be the diameter and much would it increase OAL to a 338 win with a 24" barrel?
Old 09-17-2015, 09:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
I prefer compact rifles especially when pushing bush the smaller and shorter the better. I have never seen a suppresser I am assuming they are filled with some baffles and some sort of noise absorbing material they must weigh something. What would be the diameter and much would it increase OAL to a 338 win with a 24" barrel?
Normally just metal baffles. Often titanium, Under half a pound I'd say on average.
A lot of large calibre ones go back over the barrel so add very little length.
In fact if you like compact rifles you want suppressors. Because then the manufacturers will send their compact models here like in Europe and with an over lap suppressors are shorter than regular rifles.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:36 AM

I'll have to do some googling I just picture a apple juice can on the end of my gun LOL
Old 09-17-2015, 09:45 AM

[IMG][/IMG]

I don't think I'd like that and I refuse to wear that hat
Old 09-17-2015, 09:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
[IMG][/IMG]

I don't think I'd like that and I refuse to wear that hat
You will when you realise your dental bills go down by $5000 because you no longer shake your teeth loose.

But in all seriousness I don't know of a single large calibre shooter in Europe that doesn't use one when they can. They make it so much better. And with a short barrel it doesn't add any overall length compared to a regular rifle.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:06 AM

Seems like a lot of misinformation out there, glad someone like Crunchie has chimed in.

It would be great if we could get them here, as mentioned many European countries allow them even though they have more strict gun laws. It would be great as ranges close to towns would be much quieter and our hearing would thank us.

I also highly doubt the gangsters would be making the streets run red with them if made available, they are quite expensive to purchase. Adding a can does not make you a super sniper/James Bond.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:09 AM

Default supressors

Truthfully they aren't too handy to carry and bush hunting I wouldn't bother but Hunting off a stand would work fine. I'm thinking of them mostly for gun ranges, we need to do everything we can to make ranges more friendly for the neighbours.