Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-11-2015, 08:16 PM

Default Drifting or Wading the bow...

I've only ever waded the bow. I do find it both enjoyable but I never catch 20+ fish like so many people say they do when they drift.

I do wish I could get to curtain areas that is only accesable by boat but is it true?? I don't have a raft but I have spoken with my fishing buddy about it. What is your guys experience with drifting the bow?
Old 05-11-2015, 09:26 PM

I've had guided walk and wade trips, and only one drift trip. I caught fish on all trips, but definitely caught more fish and had more fun on the drift trip. The drift trip was at peak season in July, just after runoff, so that probably had something to do with it.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:46 PM

20+ fish! Who?! When?!

I'm sure it happens but not as common as people think (or are told).

P

-Confucius
Old 05-12-2015, 07:16 AM

Smile I've done it.

I wasn't drifting, it was a boy scout canoe trip, in the days before everyone was doing it. I used a custom spinning rod made from a fly rod blank, with ceramic eyes. 4 lbs. test line filled to the top of the reel and a 1/4 oz. mepps spinner.

I was showing the boys how to "eddie out" in fast water (behind a rock) and after a few tries after leaving the launch at Glenmore trail we were pretty good at it.

It was opening day in May and the water was Gin clear.

We could stop in the middle of the river where a drift boat couldn't stop. By casting up against the North shore where the water slowed, behind rocks in the middle of fast water I caught and released 35 rainbows before we got to policeman's flats.

Most were the 1 kilo size but a few were 7+ lbs.

The water was high and up over the grass at policeman's flats, and that evening I helped a 14 year old boy release the biggest brown trout I have ever seen.

Learn to canoe, pick a day when the water isn't riled up and have fun.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
I wasn't drifting, it was a boy scout canoe trip, in the days before everyone was doing it. I used a custom spinning rod made from a fly rod blank, with ceramic eyes. 4 lbs. test line filled to the top of the reel and a 1/4 oz. mepps spinner.

I was showing the boys how to "eddie out" in fast water (behind a rock) and after a few tries after leaving the launch at Glenmore trail we were pretty good at it.

It was opening day in May and the water was Gin clear.

We could stop in the middle of the river where a drift boat couldn't stop. By casting up against the North shore where the water slowed, behind rocks in the middle of fast water I caught and released 35 rainbows before we got to policeman's flats.

Most were the 1 kilo size but a few were 7+ lbs.

The water was high and up over the grass at policeman's flats, and that evening I helped a 14 year old boy release the biggest brown trout I have ever seen.

Learn to canoe, pick a day when the water isn't riled up and have fun.
Sounds like a BS story to me......all you had to say was "I was teaching the boys how to eddie out" hahahahah
Old 05-13-2015, 09:00 PM

Thanks all for your reply.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:29 PM

Smile It is a true story.

It was on the May opening in 1985. To eddy out means to quickly turn the canoe upstream behind a rock or a small out crop on the bank.

I would warn other paddlers that where the north bank is about 200 feet straight up, the fishing can be very good in those locations but the bank is unstable and large slabs drop into the water unexpectedly. Stay away from there.

The large rocks in the fast water are a terrific place to fish. If you stop behind one rock and can cast to another rock and drop your spinner in the slow moving water, we got hits every time.

This is unfishable water for a drift boat, they can't stop, so you have it all to yourself.

This is a world class trout stream. I've fished in every province and never have seen anything like this.
Old 05-14-2015, 03:52 PM

This is my wife and I's fourth year doing a guided float trip and in the past the most we have hooked was about 25 between us both. Landed 11 at the most between both of us. Most of the time its about 5-8 fish for the two that get landed.

20+??? Highly doubtful and a big lie unless you have 10 rods in the water.
Old 05-14-2015, 04:24 PM

Over the last 7 years, I have fished the Bow on foot 1-2 times per week (75-100 outings per year). In that time, I had one 20+ day, maybe 4 or 5 days of 10+. A good day is 4 or 5. I usually catch 1 or 2. I get skunked as often as I have a good day.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1move View Post
This is my wife and I's fourth year doing a guided float trip and in the past the most we have hooked was about 25 between us both. Landed 11 at the most between both of us. Most of the time its about 5-8 fish for the two that get landed.

20+??? Highly doubtful and a big lie unless you have 10 rods in the water.
I think you need to give your head a good shake.

Sounds like a case of sour grapes.

Smarten up.
Old 05-20-2015, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep dog View Post
I think you need to give your head a good shake.

Sounds like a case of sour grapes.

Smarten up.
Really Now? How and why should I do that? I am sure you catch 20+ daily don't you? I didnt come here to argue or lie I came here to give my $0.02 from my personal experience and not to be bashed.

Take your own advice and next time move along if you dont like a comment and have nothing nice to say or contribute.