Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-22-2013, 09:59 PM

Default Taber Pheasant Featival ???

New to province and am interested in trying Pheasants.
Have heard about this festival and am wondering what exactly it includes. Any info on the costs and stuff is welcome..
Old 05-22-2013, 11:22 PM

Check it out here;

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact....dzM1ANs7rKE%3D
Old 05-23-2013, 09:02 AM

Smile Its great

It is free, and you need to register at 0830 hrs on June 3. Please don't register if you aren't going and only register for 3 hunts (that is your possession limit).

You'll need a dog friendly place to stay, start looking.

I've just assumed that you have a trained dog, if not you are wasting your time.

Welcome
Old 05-23-2013, 01:02 PM

we had a blast last year!! amazing work by the people that put it all together... excited to have a chance to go back.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:52 PM

Been doing it for 2 years now doing mentored hunting and its a great time. Everyone has fun, the kids get to hunt some pheasants for the first time, and the dogs sure do enjoy working for the youngsters.

There isnt many motels/hotels in Taber so book now, Lethbridge has more and is about a 30 min drive, and there is a campground in the river bottom abut a mile outside town if you have a trailer. I dont know which hotels/motels are pet friendly but there is only 2 or 3 in town so it wouldnt take too long to call around.

Birds can be had without a dog but its a lot of work. We found these birds sit tight and you darn near have to kick them to get them to fly. They dont fly far so they are easy to mark and generally don't run too far once they land.

When it comes to wild pheasants though if you dont have a dog you may as well stay home. They are very hard to hunt and to get into the air. When they do fly you need to make darn sure you made a clean kill because if you only wing them you wont ever see that bird again. Your better off shooting a leg than a wing. IMO pheasants are one of those birds that' are unethical to hunt without a dog. Its too easy to wound one and not be able to retrieve it. Given even dogs have trouble sometimes but they sure do make life alot easier.

If you dont have a dog let me know, I should be back from Montana by then and wouldnt mind helping you out for a day or 2.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:21 PM

I'd love to go but will be in the bush in Northern Sask when the registration is happening. Anyone needs a partner I would love to go.
Please keep me in mind.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:48 PM

Thanks for the info. First I need to get a hunting time...
I have a BLM but he is really a water dog and has never chased pheasants yet....
Old 05-25-2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Been doing it for 2 years now doing mentored hunting and its a great time. Everyone has fun, the kids get to hunt some pheasants for the first time, and the dogs sure do enjoy working for the youngsters.

There isnt many motels/hotels in Taber so book now, Lethbridge has more and is about a 30 min drive, and there is a campground in the river bottom abut a mile outside town if you have a trailer. I dont know which hotels/motels are pet friendly but there is only 2 or 3 in town so it wouldnt take too long to call around.

Birds can be had without a dog but its a lot of work. We found these birds sit tight and you darn near have to kick them to get them to fly. They dont fly far so they are easy to mark and generally don't run too far once they land.

When it comes to wild pheasants though if you dont have a dog you may as well stay home. They are very hard to hunt and to get into the air. When they do fly you need to make darn sure you made a clean kill because if you only wing them you wont ever see that bird again. Your better off shooting a leg than a wing. IMO pheasants are one of those birds that' are unethical to hunt without a dog. Its too easy to wound one and not be able to retrieve it. Given even dogs have trouble sometimes but they sure do make life alot easier.

If you dont have a dog let me know, I should be back from Montana by then and wouldnt mind helping you out for a day or 2.

If everything works out, I might have an open spot. Ill let you know