Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-06-2024, 04:08 PM

Default Camp chef (cabelas) vs wilderness 4

I'm going to be ordering my first wall tent from the Canvas tent shop in BC. Spike tent to be accurate. 14x14 feet. In order to cut down on shipping costs I've decided to go with the camp chef wood stove from cabelas. They usually go on sale for around $280. The wilderness 4 is I beleive about $465. Shipping is already over $450 for the tent alone.

Question is, is the cabelas woodstove a good stove or should I eat the extra $300 or so dollars?
Old 03-06-2024, 10:17 PM

I have the camp chef stove and it's great. I also installed a gravity feed pellet burner to it and works pretty well. I've never used it in a tent that large but depending on the season and Temps i dont think it would be very comfortable down to -15c but I could be wrong. If your using it for mild cool weather I would probably consider just using a diesel heater. Personally I would look into a big insulated ice fishing tent unless you really need all that room.

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Old 03-07-2024, 07:16 AM

Back when i had a wall tent a few years ago...we started with the camp chef stove. Found that it was too small.... in those really cold nights, we would have to stock it up quite often. Sold it, bought the wilderness 5. That was a much better option for us. Lasted much longer. That being said...we did have the alaknak 13x27...so it was a pretty big tent. Maybe in a smaller setup you would be fine with what you are looking at.
Old 03-07-2024, 07:47 AM

I have never used this Cabelas stove but it looks like it is big enough that it should do the job in terms of heat output. The biggest issue with any of the wood stoves is how long will they hold heat and how often do they need to be filled up to maintain the temperature you want. This stove looks to be pretty heavy due to its construction.

We used airtights for years in wall tents, they worked good even to -45, but it did mean you were adding wood at least once a night. If you had coal, they would run all night on one fill. Big advantage to the airtight is they are very light for transport. Downside is they really only good for making coffee, not really designed for cooking on.

Old 03-07-2024, 07:47 AM

You’ll want the wilderness 4 to heat a 14x14. Minimum.
Old 03-07-2024, 08:21 AM

Just asking why you would recommend the wilderness 4. The Cabela's stove appears to be larger than the 4, actually approaching the 5, or am I missing something about the Cabela's one, because as I say have never actually used one of the Cabela's Stoves. Thanks

Cabelas Stove

20" x 24" x 22.5".

Wilderness 4 Stove

26x14x14

Old 03-07-2024, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Just asking why you would recommend the wilderness 4. The Cabela's stove appears to be larger than the 4, actually approaching the 5, or am I missing something about the Cabela's one, because as I say have never actually used one of the Cabela's Stoves. Thanks

Cabelas Stove

20" x 24" x 22.5".

Wilderness 4 Stove

26x14x14

The Cabela’s stove says 22” high. It is. From the ground. With legs. Actual can dimension is about 12”x12”x 24
Width measurement is with racks included.
Old 03-07-2024, 11:54 AM

Sorta like putting a 9.9 on a 14 foot boat. Yeah it can be done and people have made due, but it’s not ideal. Especially if you are going out in November. You probably want the bigger stove.

I will add that while chopping firewood is a lot of fun and wood stoves add to the ambiance, diesel is far more efficient.

If you have limited days off and need maximum hunting time, camp chores get in the way. If you have weeks off and want to enjoy time in the bush at a slow pace, wood is great. I’ve done both and learned to decide ahead of time which priority it is for any particular trip.
Old 03-07-2024, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Sorta like putting a 9.9 on a 14 foot boat. Yeah it can be done and people have made due, but it’s not ideal. Especially if you are going out in November. You probably want the bigger stove.

I will add that while chopping firewood is a lot of fun and wood stoves add to the ambiance, diesel is far more efficient.

If you have limited days off and need maximum hunting time, camp chores get in the way. If you have weeks off and want to enjoy time in the bush at a slow pace, wood is great. I’ve done both and learned to decide ahead of time which priority it is for any particular trip.
I considered a diesel heater but then I'm messing around with a battery/12v power supply. Main use will be november yes. We go out for up to 12 to 13 days. The days are spent hunting from sun up til sundown. Wood is easy to get. Either buy a truck load and bring it or chop some while there. Diesel heater is not out of the question. I am just leaning more towards the wood stove, for as you say the ambience.

Money is always an issue. I could spend $300 or $600 if I go with the wilderness.
Old 03-07-2024, 03:46 PM

Default 4 Dog

I use a 4 Dog air tight wood burner to heat my 14x16 wall tent. Made in USA, guaranteed not to burn out of the bottom. Can use wood or coal. I use wood but have the option. I can get 20-22 inch splits into the firebox easy.

Quality stove. Heats the tent great. I can almost get a full night of heat, but I’m normally using it in damp/wet vs cold snowy. If I’m not careful though I can drive everyone out of the tent b/c it will get pretty hot if I really get it going. In the morning, either the guy with the crappy sleeping bag or the guy furthest from the stove gets up to replenish the splits. There are always a good bed of coals to quickly get it going again.

Love wood heat. I am always using and dealing with diesel in my truck and SxS, and I always stink to high heaven after using Jerry cans and station pumps. Not something I would want to deal with when in the bush, although I’m sure they are easy and efficient. To each their own. I find wood heat to be both “drying” and “ambiance” providing. Tent always smells great after a week of fires. Drying clothes is easy and quick, important when you’re dealing with wet weather.

The only downside I see would be shipping this stove up from the US. The guy who made my tent offered the stoves as an add on. They are expensive, yes, but I felt it provided value so I jumped. Glad I did to be honest. Buy once, cry once.
Old 03-08-2024, 01:17 PM

I'm going with the Wilderness 4 but only cuz Moo Snukkle said to. Not that anyone really cares lol, but If I'm spending over $2000 for a tent, I might as well spend another $550 for a stove that I won't have to upgrade cuz I froze me arse off this coming November