Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-22-2018, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
If I was to have read some of these posts 45 years ago I would have thought someone got into bad lot of LSD.You could drive yourself nuts trying to figure out if the moose or deer is breathing in or not and what damage the sd will create on it's lungs and penetration.

They all died 40 years ago without all this stuff,but back then there where hunters who hunted to get close to there prey and 300 yards was a long shot and there's still plenty of good hunters still around 45 years later.

So choose your tool and get it done right. So to all young hunters be very careful what you do with a rifle of any caliber because once that projectile exits you own it.It is what it is.

Couldn't agree more. My grandfather was the finest hunter and one of the best shots I've had the pleasure to witness. Hundreds of deer, elk, and moose shot back in the 20's and 30's in northern Sask when you hunted or starved. All with a 32-40 Win. Damn near as slow as they come.

When you witness a coyote on a dead run anchored at 200 yards with one of those plugs you know the guy behind the gun has been around the block a time or two.

I remember him watching me sight in a new 270 with a 4x scope from the prone position back in 1979. I called it good enough at 2" groups at 150 yds, he walked into the house and came back with his old tried and true, put his one shot inside all of mine, while standing. Didn't say a word. Just walked back into the house.

I used that old rifle for a day a couple of years after he passed away. Just to honor his memory. Took a poke at an old granary out about 300 yards and could have measured the time between the discharge and sound of impact with a sundial. A good 2 seconds it seemed. Got a lot of respect for that old man. Not many like him anymore.
Old 12-22-2018, 09:29 AM

Same for my Great Great granddad and my Gramps when they came to Alberta in 1905,,, 1 old civil war musket and a brand new 1905 octagon barrel 30-30 Winchester.

They came with a wagon train from Nebraska to start a new life on the Prairie lands of Young's Town Alberta,,, they did ok farming,,, 1928 was a good crop year,,, they bought a used 1928 2 ton model AA,,, Ha. There are only 5 or 7 of them left on the planet. Good thing automobiles improved to where we're at today,,, life is pretty cold with no heater in the cab.

The truck went into storage the next year,,, the great depression,,, kinda like the one that were about to see our selves. Anyways,,, the old 30-30 and musket put alot of food on the table,,, Deer, antelope, ducks and geese,,, even the odd Moose got plugged along the Red Deer River valley.

Everyone in the community reaped the rewards of substance to keep their families alive.
Hats off to the folks back then,,, they were tuff,,, dam tuff that is. Hard back breaking work from Sun up to Sun down.

There weren't no ballistic tables, numbers or such,,, the key to a successful harvest was hands on,,, good and close and hope for the best,,, don't forget,,, alot of the folks back then were farmers and farm Wives with families that came here to live the dream of freedom and make a place to call home. From poor to poorer in just a few years.

I'm guilty for carrying alot of this age old baggage with me from days gone by, oh well,,, life goes on with slow improvements along the way. Ha.

The next generation gets to hammer out the details of what's better when they reach our teenage years loooooong ago. LOL.

Just imagine,,, they will still be talking about Bell, Jack,,, the 270 vs the 30/30,,, the 6.5 to 416 Rigby and .177 pellet gun to the new Teslua Lazzeroni laser beam gun when it comes out.

Yuppers,,, a person could consider this as a learning tool, but most likely it will fade away into the Sun set like our fore father's that rode off into the distance for on last time.

Do you think that they might of been thinking how this next generation would survive. LOL
Old 12-22-2018, 11:22 AM
Banned

I agree with everything said, well surely 99% of it. I think maybe what’s missing is...

In context however as an example I got into the start of the long range revolution and found limits that matched my development and range time and it helped a time or two and I have a 620 yrd coyote because I was prepared practiced and conditions allowed it. My longe range is the new gens mid range.

The point I’m trying to make via example is...that I cannot judge what another hunters limits are. Had it done plenty to me, archery and or rifle. If a guy has the ability to practice to 1500 yrds and the times certainly have the gear and technology to do it, and he is very proficient then that’s his choice and he has to live with it. There is a whole world out there now that is proficient so much further than what most of us are or are used too.

The gear is the gear, the operator is the operator. We’ve never had better gear and operators are learning how to use it to its potential.