Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-22-2009, 07:30 AM

Does anyone ever fish on the east side of the lake? I now the access is to the west side, but I have never heard of any reports about the east side of the lake.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:52 PM

Default East Side

I think the east side is where people go to to stash their walleye fillets for pick-up later. At least, this is what we observed on saturday in between drinks. I don't know why people were walking all the way over the otherside when it's so cold and windy. Maybe it's better over there. Will have to try it next time, and enjoy a few cold ones. I don't think everyone keeps all the lings and besides, a long time ago people would catch lings like suckers and just leave them all over the ice like suckers and leave them for the crows and whatever else. They were not even a gamefish then.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:07 PM

Catch alot more walleyes than burbs on the east side by the little dam, I fish in 5-7 fow and can see them down the hole, way more fun.. Plus you get away from the crowds..
Old 12-22-2009, 04:44 PM

Default East side

Yes, it's nice to get away from the crowds and enjoy a few drinks. I'll bet the fishing is pretty much the same no matter where you are on that lake. It probably gets pretty cold on that side with the wind. Maybe there's big Jack's there though. I will try that this weekend. I'll try some bigger bait, and maybe some bigger drinks.
Old 12-22-2009, 05:42 PM
jrs

Lightbulb Really??

I'm a little surprised how many guys on here get jumped on for questioning everyone filling their limits on this lake and others. Remember, fishing pressure has exploded on a few of these lakes just about instantly in large part because of this site and guys giving out exact spots to target certain fish (ex. burbot) when they are vulnerable. I don't think the harvest will wipe out the burbot in PCR as burbot can lay a lot of eggs but the amount of immature burbot being kept will mean less big ones in the future.

Most guys would notice other lakes have had the burbot limit reduced to 3 already due to heavy pressure. I think a guy would be a fool to not at least consider the 50 or so groups out there every weekend keeping limits of burbot and almost every pike they catch as possibly changing the fish community/ age structure in a lake. I know PCR is only being managed for walleye but still, jumping on guys for simply questioning the vast numbers of burbot being pulled out of there?
Old 12-22-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs View Post
I'm a little surprised how many guys on here get jumped on for questioning everyone filling their limits on this lake and others. Remember, fishing pressure has exploded on a few of these lakes just about instantly in large part because of this site and guys giving out exact spots to target certain fish (ex. burbot) when they are vulnerable. I don't think the harvest will wipe out the burbot in PCR as burbot can lay a lot of eggs but the amount of immature burbot being kept will mean less big ones in the future.

Most guys would notice other lakes have had the burbot limit reduced to 3 already due to heavy pressure. I think a guy would be a fool to not at least consider the 50 or so groups out there every weekend keeping limits of burbot and almost every pike they catch as possibly changing the fish community/ age structure in a lake. I know PCR is only being managed for walleye but still, jumping on guys for simply questioning the vast numbers of burbot being pulled out of there?
What about jumping on guys who kept some fish? It happens on this board all the time and it gets a bit annoying. When someone wants to share their successes and that success is legal, either congratulate them or save the soapboxing for your own threads.

Obviously too much pressure isn't a good thing but neither you, I, or the other guy have any data to indicate that it IS too much pressure. There are plenty of lakes that have a ton of fish harvested each year that continue to maintain steady populations. Other lakes don't fare as well. Is PCR in trouble? You don't know. Neither do I. Start a thread about it where people will toss anecdotal evidence back and forth for 30 posts and end up nowhere if you want to raise the issue.

There are far too many sticks in the mud on this site.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:56 PM

"I'm a little surprised how many guys on here get jumped on for questioning everyone filling their limits on this lake and others. Remember, fishing pressure has exploded on a few of these lakes just about instantly in large part because of this site and guys giving out exact spots to target certain fish (ex. burbot) when they are vulnerable. I don't think the harvest will wipe out the burbot in PCR as burbot can lay a lot of eggs but the amount of immature burbot being kept will mean less big ones in the future.

Most guys would notice other lakes have had the burbot limit reduced to 3 already due to heavy pressure. I think a guy would be a fool to not at least consider the 50 or so groups out there every weekend keeping limits of burbot and almost every pike they catch as possibly changing the fish community/ age structure in a lake. I know PCR is only being managed for walleye but still, jumping on guys for simply questioning the vast numbers of burbot being pulled out of there?"

Good post!

And like I said earlier "From my observations, people (most) will keep what they can (and site it must be ok because the regs say we can). That is part of the problem."

Im over 50 and that is as true 40+ years ago as it is today.
Just doomed to repeat!
Old 12-22-2009, 07:15 PM

I don't find it true that most people keep their limit. I fish with quite a few different guys and we rarely keep any fish. Usually the reason we keep fish is if they are injured or fatigued to the point that they probably wont live anyways. I know alot of fisherman and even the ones I don't fish with tell me they rarely keep fish also. I do think there is some lakes around alberta that are being hurt by over fishing but have also seen lakes that are being hurt by no keep limits like pcr. There is far to many walleye in that lake with not enough food which I am sure is causing the growth rate to slow right down. There is so many things to argue about in the alberta fishing regs that it would take years to finally come to a conclusion. I figure if you are following the rules, regs, and laws then there is no reason for someone else to cut you down for bring proud of your catch or sharing information about where you caught fish to help someone else out to have a good day on the water. What happened to the days of fishermen all getting along and being kind and helpful people?
Old 12-22-2009, 07:59 PM
jrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
I will catch my limit every chance I get, or way more every chance I get, but I rarely keep and kill fish. I think people should follow the regs, and if they want to keep what the law allows, then thats their choice, maybe not a good one every time they go out, but still their choice. If they want to catch and release, thats their choice too, you cant force your beliefs and ideals on other people as long as they are within the law. The whole idea of sportfishing is just that, sport. If you are fishing to survive then theres a different problem. And the way the mercury levels are building up in PCR maybe its a good idea to eat a few burbs now before they are too toxic to eat like the walleye and pike from there. If they ever reach that level , who knows just go out , have fun, and report all the poachers you want.
Just speaking about mercury,
http://www.health.alberta.ca/documen...a-Res-2009.pdf
The water in that reservoir comes from Willow Creek, some fish would also come from upper Willow Creek. Just a bit of info a few guys may appreciate on here.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:12 PM

Default fishing pressure

i've been hardwater fishing a pike lake now for a few years. the fishing pressure is minimal - 63 cm. size limit- 1 of 3 will be a keeper. the rest will be 55-60cm and lots of them . heard of the odd 20#er coming out of there. i believe they're eating their own to sustain the fishery. lost a few stick tip-ups in there- so i'm waiting for jaws to come along . just an example of light fishing pressure. it could use a bit more fishing- but opening it up would probably ruin it in acouple years. i know the forum is for sharing- but to what extreme. there are many honey holes around - go out and find them.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:32 PM

was wondering if there was an actual report about the mercury content in pcr. now i can tell my friends it is true not a so call report to chase guys from eating the fish lol.
i vented earlier as im tired of seeing guys complain because people are keeping the fish and should be practicing catch an release.
thing is i'm not a fish biologist and neither are most people on here. so most of us cannot say for sure if pcr can withstand the pressure it gets. however we also cannot say that everyone out there is keeping or releasing fish either. this is where if we were raise with any sense morals we would do what is right for the fish to be there for our kids and that would be to limit our catch. however it is up to the individual person to make this decision themselves.
with that said anyone go out today to pcr and if so how was the fishing
mike
Old 12-22-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
And like I said earlier "From my observations, people (most) will keep what they can (and site it must be ok because the regs say we can). That is part of the problem."
From my observations, most people don't keep much at all (if anything): even if legally entitled to do so.

But, truth be told, I loathe generalizations.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:42 AM

[QUOTE=huntsfurfish;463093]"

well, from a "legal" point of view, if I ate every fish I caught the day I caught it, I could have kept, legally of course, 3650 burbot this year. I ate 2, guess that means I should have let them go too? but then as everyone who has met me probably knows, Im not most people

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-23-2009, 01:25 PM

OK, This is my last 2 cents here. I have fished pcr for 4 years now on a regular basis. I have seen a many many fold increase in the usage(winter only...in summer i haunt other waters). I have noticed the burb size is larger now yet I also noticed that I catch fewer burbs and much fewer small burbs. Call this anecdotal evidence or whatever you want BUT..it is the same pattern observed on several other crashed fisheries. I know in this forum we are mostly preaching to the converted but I think we are concerned about the future of this fishery. We dont need scientific evidence to act in a moral and ethical way(Im pretty sure the earth is flat yet have never read read a peer reviewed journal article stating such).

The Bow river gets hammered with fisherman....but most are cnr hence a stable trophy quality fishery has survived for decades now.

It at one point was legal to shoot wolves on site in Yellowstone..ethical?? Moral??? I dont think so. After the first 1000 were killed Im sure the population was in no threat....the end result ZERO wolves left in yellowstone.

So you can try and slag me for anecdotal evidence but im just trying to save the fishery for me, you, and everybody.

Sorry I think I digressed.

On a side note....thanks for the idiot at pcr who filleted(more like butchered up) and left a pile of burbs on the ice....just to let you know that you missed 80% of the meat....my 8 year old daughter was disgusted with you.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:11 PM

[QUOTE=Freddydog;463587] I have noticed the burb size is larger now yet I also noticed that I catch fewer burbs and much fewer small burbs. Call this anecdotal evidence or whatever you want BUT..it is the same pattern observed on several other crashed fisheries.
Do you think just maybe, this is because they get bigger as they get older, and even smarter so you catch less?

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-23-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddydog View Post
OK, This is my last 2 cents here. I have fished pcr for 4 years now on a regular basis. I have seen a many many fold increase in the usage(winter only...in summer i haunt other waters). I have noticed the burb size is larger now yet I also noticed that I catch fewer burbs and much fewer small burbs. Call this anecdotal evidence or whatever you want BUT..it is the same pattern observed on several other crashed fisheries. I know in this forum we are mostly preaching to the converted but I think we are concerned about the future of this fishery. We dont need scientific evidence to act in a moral and ethical way(Im pretty sure the earth is flat yet have never read read a peer reviewed journal article stating such).

The Bow river gets hammered with fisherman....but most are cnr hence a stable trophy quality fishery has survived for decades now.

It at one point was legal to shoot wolves on site in Yellowstone..ethical?? Moral??? I dont think so. After the first 1000 were killed Im sure the population was in no threat....the end result ZERO wolves left in yellowstone.

So you can try and slag me for anecdotal evidence but im just trying to save the fishery for me, you, and everybody.

Sorry I think I digressed.

On a side note....thanks for the idiot at pcr who filleted(more like butchered up) and left a pile of burbs on the ice....just to let you know that you missed 80% of the meat....my 8 year old daughter was disgusted with you.
Good on you to bring up the wolves, where can we donate to your cause?
Old 12-25-2009, 09:56 AM

"well, from a "legal" point of view, if I ate every fish I caught the day I caught it, I could have kept, legally of course, 3650 burbot this year. I ate 2, guess that means I should have let them go too? but then as everyone who has met me probably knows, Im not most people "

Also in an earlier post I said there is nothing wrong with keeping a couple to eat. Never said you were "most people"
Burbot are not getting any smarter cause your still catching em

DarkAisling You have a lot of experience fishing throughout Alberta? While there are many that practice catch and release there are those that will keep their limit any time they can-think about it.

A person still thinks of themselves as a catch and release fisherman if they catch 120 fish per day but only kept their limit