Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-19-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
All while ice fishing

-a really expensive pocket knife
-camera
-tackle tray slipped out of my hand, opened after hitting the ice hole...dumping about $100 of lures to the bottom.
-jaw spreaders
-pliers

Open water

-camera
-pliers
x2 tackle tray had about 100 neon collor hooks that cost me around 200 bucks :l
Perch 50 +
Goldeye 10
Sauger 1
Sucker 5
Old 06-19-2012, 01:11 PM

Had my fathers buddy loose a 7.5 merc in Whiteswan lake sask years ago. He was steering it back and forth quick to rock the boat and scare us kids, but didnt have the motor tightened down enough and down it went. Not shure if he ever did find it again.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:14 PM
Banned

Small tackle box with my wallet and cellphone in it, off a dock at high tide surge and 50' of water (Ironically, the wallet and cellphone were put in to keep dry from the rain). Two weeks later I was wading and chasing pinks with a fly and slowly my brand new cell phone drowned in my pocket. My cellphone before this one was put into a steaming hot, fresh cup of joe as I was both reaching for the cup and wanting to put the phone down,, caffeine is not always our friend.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:36 PM
Gone Hunting

Fishing from a canoe with a buddy. Flipped it in a lake and lost tackle boxes, and all our gear for two guys.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 06-19-2012, 04:30 PM

Default Epic thread!

So I put a 12 pack of pilsner in the creek behind our campsite to chill off. It was going fine until the box got all melty and the beer started to get away. I found pilsner to behave very similar to trout once it gets going. I had the check every pool and backeddy to find them and one is still out there running wild. The best part was I had a cooler filled with ice...
Old 06-19-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badflies View Post
So I put a 12 pack of pilsner in the creek behind our campsite to chill off. It was going fine until the box got all melty and the beer started to get away. I found pilsner to behave very similar to trout once it gets going. I had the check every pool and backeddy to find them and one is still out there running wild. The best part was I had a cooler filled with ice...
I am calling RAP....illegally stocking Alberta waters with Saskabush Pils is just....disgusting and immoral

LC
Old 06-19-2012, 04:50 PM
Banned

A Hardy Marquis fly reel.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:02 PM

Dropped a prop off the boat in 12' of water at cold lake because of someone forgetting the cotter key, but was able to get it back. Nothing else that I can remember, knock on wood.

I dove to get my neices glasses out of a lake once, and pulled old mans glasses out of another lake ice fishing last year.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 06-19-2012, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
I will EMT you 5 bucks to post that on here.
No chance
Old 06-19-2012, 07:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
lost my virginity in a lake, does that count?
No but it might explain that itchy rash you complain about.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
a buddy of mine fell into water out of other boat could not swim.... Jumped in to rescue him as everyone else was standing with thumb up their butt while he was drowning in about 60 feet of water.... And ended up losing wallet out of pants pocket.... Not fun!.... Just put in $2000 into it to buy a motorbike.... Gone...

I gave him and others an earful about wearing life jackets before i found out i lost my wallet when i got back to truck and drove to pick up the bike...

I would have thought that maybe some offer to repay would have come my way... But nothing.... Of course we were all teens then.

Sdo along same vein.... Go out fishing with 5 buddies and one guy refuses to wear life jacket in a 14" car topper. Get checked by fish and feathers and buddy gets ticket for $100 something, then i get ticket $200 something as well for not enforcing people to wear life jacket and since it was not on board i got ticket for not carrying required boating equipment. I did not even know it was left on shore.... Again buddy never paid my ticket....

Lesson learned... Payback was a mofo for him

so biggest thing i lost really was respect for my friends, and so whenever i take someone in my boat... I am a stickley so no more mr. Nice guy either...he was lost too i guess!...

As for payback... One evening my buddy (w) borrowed his dad's ski boat and we were tto meet at 7:00pm. We show up and found out they left at 6:30... So we waited thinking we would be back. The buddy (s) who got the ticket was with them and as my buddy (d) and i waited we got board and noticed that buddy (s) hadleft his car (used bmw) parked on the dike. So we got into it and i took some wire and ran from coil through corner of door and hood and then around behind divers seat and then through seat and stripped off about 8" and wove it all into his beaded seat cushion...

At 10:00pm they come off of lake and i ask my buddy (w) wtf... And he said well buddy (s) said you were not coming.... I see buddy (s) smirking and think "you a...h..." he is towelling off and goes to his car to start it and i tell buddy (w) what is about to happen.... And he starts laughing... Buddy s gets into his car... We see brake lights come on... Then they start flashing then see him bouncing around in car... He ejects out of passenger side... Rolls down dike ...gets up looking like he did not know whether to chit or go blind.... Sneaks up to car opens passenger door peers in and then looks back when he hears us all laughing... From his perspective when he got the juice he looked down and all he saw was white sparks and thought that they were quills and that he had sat on a porcupine... He was mad and came at me to hit me and it was on... He was obviously a bit wobbly from the "tasing" so he got a few bony fives to the snot locker, lookers, chompers and chiclets...

I got back in my truck with my buddy d and we drove to town with a great big chit eating grins....

Story spread and spread humor throughout the community...
we have a winner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-19-2012, 08:32 PM

great stories guys. another one i saw my dad land a small pike, put the mouth spreaders in and remove the lure. he held the pike up and said not too bad and then continued to throw the pike back in. oops spreaders still in the mouth. poor like pike swimming around mouth wide open. still feel bad about this one but funny none the less.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskyangler View Post
great stories guys. another one i saw my dad land a small pike, put the mouth spreaders in and remove the lure. he held the pike up and said not too bad and then continued to throw the pike back in. oops spreaders still in the mouth. poor like pike swimming around mouth wide open. still feel bad about this one but funny none the less.
I used to have a mint condition 1975's rapala filleting knife (found at a garage sale for cheap cheap) I dispatched a nice big pike for a shore lunch, as I was cutting the front of the fillets away from the head, buddies rod had a huge hit , just as he was draining the main vain. I left the knife in the fish jumped up to grab the bite, hooked in, gave rod to buddy, looked just as the pike did one last nerve flinch and off the edge, I tried to get it but I was a few feet away and didnt make it in time. I kick myself for losing the knife, But I kick myself harder for USING it in the first place!!
Old 06-19-2012, 09:10 PM

I bought a nice new petzl headlamp, wore it on my ball cap for the first time so I could stay out float tubing late,
Big dragon fly comes flyin at me ....won't leave me alone I swat my hat at it
and watched my lamp go flying into the lake, never did get to try it out!

Wasted 50 bucks just like that.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:57 PM

Years ago, the in laws are out on the lake and see some friends in a nearby boat. They decide to pull up side for a visit and my mother in law reaches out to catch the other boat and pinches her ring finger between the boats. Her finger was fine as her diamond ring had kept it from crushing, but the pressure released all the stone settings and she watched in awe as about $2500 worth of diamonds faded with a sparkle into the bottom of the lake!
Old 06-19-2012, 10:34 PM

my swimming trunks, didnt see a fish for days after that. got a ticket, Fish: cops said no worms allowed for bait!

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 06-19-2012, 10:35 PM

I took my dads 14ft aluminum boat to Burnstick Lake. Found a nice deep hole 60ft according to the fish finder. So i threw the anchor over and whoof, the anchor with 100ft of rope went overboard. Seems i should've tied it off or at least uncoiled it.

So since i couldn't anchor i took off across the other side. Feeling ashamed i headed for the dock at full speed, then whoof! Yup 8hp Mariner gone. I was in shock. Not only did i loose the old mans anchor but i also lost his motor.

When i explained it to him i was in tears. He said "how was the fishing", I said "Ok, but i lost your anchor" He said "what, how could you loose the anchor it had 100ft of rope" i replied "i also lost your motor" He started laughing.

When i explained, everything he was cool. I had to pay the insurance deduction, but we ended up with a new 9.9 yamaha.

I will always remember how my dad reacted, and will never forget his reaction.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Tents View Post
I bought a nice new petzl headlamp, wore it on my ball cap for the first time so I could stay out float tubing late,
Big dragon fly comes flyin at me ....won't leave me alone I swat my hat at it
and watched my lamp go flying into the lake, never did get to try it out!

Wasted 50 bucks just like that.
Cool name In Tents, and welcome to the Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum!

I lost a hardwater laker jigging rod this year, with a baitcaster reel on it. Loved that setup.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:46 PM

Last year I decided, against my better judgement, to jump out of a perfectly good jet boat into the Snake river in Idaho for a swim. I spent the next week bumping into random objects in my environment, due to the fact that I had neglected to remove my $500 prescription glasses before diving in. My buddies informed me that I am an idiot as soon as my head broke there surface.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:59 PM

Red face

When I was a teenager my mom's boyfriend took me and my siblings fishing on a water canal near a lake. I was leaning over a small wall watching little minnows get tossed around in the current and decided to see if I could catch them so I picked up a big net and asked him if I could use it to catch a minnow. He was turned facing the other way and says 'Sure but don't lose it. That net is special. I caught my first....'. He didn't even get the full sentence out before I turned to him (while watching in horror as his net drifted away) and said 'On a scale of one to ten, how special would you say it is?'
Old 06-19-2012, 11:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeeHaw View Post
Had my fathers buddy loose a 7.5 merc in Whiteswan lake sask years ago. He was steering it back and forth quick to rock the boat and scare us kids, but didnt have the motor tightened down enough and down it went. Not shure if he ever did find it again.
ill bet he scared himself pretty good after that! haha
Old 06-19-2012, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneGirlWolfPack View Post
When I was a teenager my mom's boyfriend took me and my siblings fishing on a water canal near a lake. I was leaning over a small wall watching little minnows get tossed around in the current and decided to see if I could catch them so I picked up a big net and asked him if I could use it to catch a minnow. He was turned facing the other way and says 'Sure but don't lose it. That net is special. I caught my first....'. He didn't even get the full sentence out before I turned to him (while watching in horror as his net drifted away) and said 'On a scale of one to ten, how special would you say it is?'
Hahaha, great, lost a lil beer on that one , welcome to ao and lethgbridge
Old 06-19-2012, 11:27 PM

brand new 800 dollar black berry torch... broke... but telus replaced it for me.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:24 AM
Banned

I was fishing the Lakelse River standing on a huge log over a deep hole when my buddies dog squeezed by me and kicked my tackle box into the water.

It was full of spoons and sunk straight to the bottom.

I sucked it up, stripped down, dove in and got them back.

Everything I've lost to a lake has been pretty inconsequential, except perhaps a lifetime worth of tackle (p-rigs).
Old 06-20-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger7mm View Post
Hahaha, great, lost a lil beer on that one , welcome to ao and lethgbridge
Thanks for the welcome! Nice to see someone else from Lethbridge on here.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:06 PM

worst for me was my fishing rod... fell off my belly boat and wasn't paying attention. Luckily it was a hot day and I needed to cool down after fishing all day in neoprene waders.

Always thought it would be fascinating to see the bottom of a lake drained, the things one would come across!
Old 06-20-2012, 02:40 PM

Drop kicked a poacher once into the water....the little girl recovered from the injury just fine though.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:55 PM

Dropped my truck keys down the hole ice fishing one day… kind of a bad feeling… was pretty worried for a while until I fished them back up
Old 06-20-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconWilly View Post
A nice pair of Oakly sunglasses...leaned my head back and they flipped over my hat and overboard, and slowly sank into the abyss...

Two pairs in Sylvan and one pair at Rocky Lake Manitoba!!!
Old 06-20-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie View Post
Dropped my truck keys down the hole ice fishing one day… kind of a bad feeling… was pretty worried for a while until I fished them back up
my keys stay in the truck and NOBODY is allowed to close the windows while we are on the ice.