Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-07-2013, 06:49 PM

Default New boat advice.

Finally time to upgrade my 1973 tri-haul to a new family fishing machine. I have been doing my homework online but i would still like opinions of more experienced boaters and fishermen. Here is my short list so far.

Crestliner Super Hawk 1750 with Etec 135 HO
Lund impact 1750with 115 4S
Smoker Craft Ultima 172 with 150 4S
Tracker Targe with Opti 150
Alumacraft Dominator with Etec 135 HO.

They are all very close in price from the online quotes i got. The best deal equipment wise i think would be the Crestliner so far and quite like the guy from Free Spirit Marine. Any boat i should stay away from? I really want to give the Etec a try, good choice? Im planning on buying at the boat show when i get a chance to see them all at the same time. Budget is as close to 30k as possible.

Any opinion appreciated.

Cheers

Fred
Old 03-07-2013, 06:58 PM

1) Lund
2) Crestliner
3) Alumacraft
4) Smokercraft
5) Tracker
Old 03-07-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
1) Lund
2) Crestliner
3) Alumacraft
4) Smokercraft
5) Tracker
x2...
Old 03-07-2013, 08:33 PM

Have a look at the Kingfisher 1725 Flex Sport. hardcore fishing machine. Top quality.

Custom Weld is another one to consider.

I would have bought a Kingfisher myself except we do lot's of family stuff and the "cushy and soft" feel of a Lund Tyee was a better choice for my family.

I wish I had more balls and just bought the hardcore machine and left the wife, kids and dog on shore .... lol.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:37 PM

The Crestliner is a great value. Free Spirit has taken good care of me through 2 boat deals. Definitely the best to deal with in Edmonton. Good luck and enjoy your new boat.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Have a look at the Kingfisher 1725 Flex Sport. hardcore fishing machine. Top quality.

Custom Weld is another one to consider.

I would have bought a Kingfisher myself except we do lot's of family stuff and the "cushy and soft" feel of a Lund Tyee was a better choice for my family.

I wish I had more balls and just bought the hardcore machine and left the wife, kids and dog on shore .... lol.
Im in the same boat... pun intended. I want something more family friendly. I think the Lund is a bit under powered in my price range. Sounds like the Crestliner is a good choice. Thats where i was leaning anyway. Those Tyee are awfully nice, but they get expensive real quick.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptemomo View Post
Im in the same boat... pun intended. I want something more family friendly. I think the Lund is a bit under powered in my price range. Sounds like the Crestliner is a good choice. Thats where i was leaning anyway. Those Tyee are awfully nice, but they get expensive real quick.
The 115 will be fine with these light boats and will have plenty of power - the HO 135 Rude, however, is significantly more powerful and is definitely a "superpower" in this selection of motors. It will deliver more torque and hole shot than almost any 150 4 stroke out there.

Riverside Honda, in St.Albert, offers Mercury, Honda and Evinrude motors on Lund boats.

Hondas and Rudes are bigger money - Mercury offers a 125 Optimax that should be very close to price to their 115 4 stroke.

The Lund is a superior boat. PM me and I may be able to get you a quote through a lady a few of us forum members have dealt with in the last few months.

A few of us purchased boats from her.

She was able to get us an unbelievable deal.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:20 PM

Alumacraft, Crestliner, and Lund are going to be your best 3 to choose from.

I wouldn't say any of them are better then the other. It all depends on what you want for an interior layout and what types of extras you want in the packages offered.

Another thing that may help make the decision is to find a quality dealership that is going to help you out when something goes wrong.

There are very few good solid dealerships in Alberta and tons that get quite a few complaints.

I would say pick the boat you like the most and start doing some research on dealerships that carry that brand. Online reviews should help you out quite a bit with that.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:47 AM

Default Family Fishing

If you are stuck on an aluminum hull then go with the Crestliner (welded hull), but imho, I would go with a Stratos Fish and ski model. I have a 1994 Stratos 219 DC, I have fished a lot of big water with it, and never had a problem with the boat. 4 years ago some good friends of mine asked the same question, they ended up buying the stratos fish and ski model (not sure of the model number) but the boat is 18' with a 150 4 stroke, they paid $30,000ish all in with a mid priced depth finder and a bow mount trolling motor. I like the lay out of the boat, they have never had a problem with their boat Also their boat is a better family boat, it is better than mine for sking and tubing. Mine is a pure fishing boat no ladder at the back and no ski pylon.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:32 AM

The Crestliner from Freespirit be my first choice just based on the service and the extras that are included with the boat, if it is still the same as when I bought my boat in 2008 from them. Boat comes fully rigged meaning life jackets, paddles, batteries for trolling motor etc. Evinrude is an awesome motor.

Next be the Lund then Alumacraft. Other 2 wouldn't interest me at all.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:08 AM

Default All advice

All advice X2 .

Only one thing to consider and may not be a factor in the north ..

Have had Crest 1650 and Lund 1775 back to back and the Lund

Definitely handled fishing in the wind better ....crest was pretty

Buoyant .....IPS hull sat down in the water ....back trolling for sure...

Crest liner went way better at WO with max Hp .
Old 03-08-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
1) Lund
2) Crestliner
3) Alumacraft
4) Smokercraft
5) Tracker
Where would you place a Princecraft in this list of 5 (now 6)? Just wondering as I am in the middle of making the same decision. I had my top 3 down to Princecraft, Lund, and Crestliner but in no particular order. Had planned on crawling around them all next weekend at the show.

Thanks
Old 03-08-2013, 08:36 AM

Princecraft is a quality boat. It is also the most expensive of the group (20% more than a lund). Looks like a nice fit and finish - looks like a quality boat to me - heavy trailers, hatch hinges, transom construction etc..... I don't know alot about them to be honest as they have been recently re-branded and re-designed.

I think the test of time will tell us where they belong. Right now I'd rate it number 3 right below Crestliner - only becuase Crestliner has proven itself as a premium boat.

The reason I, myself, choose Lund over the Crestliner is the same stuff I see above ....

Heavier hinges on latches, heavier wire to automotive fuse panel, Heavier transom, IPS2 hull, heavier trailer, thicker marine floor boards, way better seats, more lockable storage, better livewells, smarter designs (for the way I fish) etc......
Old 03-08-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFTrapper View Post
Where would you place a Princecraft in this list of 5 (now 6)? Just wondering as I am in the middle of making the same decision. I had my top 3 down to Princecraft, Lund, and Crestliner but in no particular order. Had planned on crawling around them all next weekend at the show.

Thanks
I agree with your top 3. If it makes a difference Princecraft is made in Canada.

I'm sure you will enjoy whatever boat you get, you don't hear a lot of complaints about any of the higher end boats just the service.

(In case you were wondering after 3 years of looking and studying I went with a Lund Tyee. Great boat but not cheap)

See you on the water
Old 03-08-2013, 09:09 AM

I really like alumacraft. Especially with that power plant. The evinrude etec motors are nuts. Do some research on those motors and you'd be hard pressed to find a better motor on today's market. Alumacraft boats are very underrated and you won't find better service then that dealer in Red Deer. Boats service and warranty is just about non-existent today.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:13 AM
Banned

Does Legend not make a good boat??
Old 03-08-2013, 09:14 AM

Just remember. Your about to purchase a hole in the water that costs alot of money. So make sure your very happy with your choice. The boat show IMO is not the place to buy a boat cause all dealers put their smiley faces on and what you see outta them might not be what you get. Your gonna be a boat owner. Or as my wife calls it " a boaner." good luck with your purchase and see you on the water.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baptiste_moose View Post
I really like alumacraft. Especially with that power plant. The evinrude etec motors are nuts. Do some research on those motors and you'd be hard pressed to find a better motor on today's market. Alumacraft boats are very underrated and you won't find better service then that dealer in Red Deer. Boats service and warranty is just about non-existent today.
Are you kidding me you must work for boatmart. you are the first person I have heard say a good thing about them I agree alumicraft is a great boat but avoid boat mart just go in the store and look at all the clutter that sums up how they operate the business. I took boat into them for service twice both times with appointment and both times it was over 6 months before getting my boat back. The first time was just to winterize it the second time for some engine work which after 6 months they never even looked at. they knocked the transducer off by running my boat into another boat with that forklift they use to move boats in there dinky little yard packed full of boats and denied.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:46 AM

Default More choices

Raider boats
Hewes Craft
Alumaweld
and my favorite Thunder Jet!
Old 03-08-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordoats26 View Post
Are you kidding me you must work for boatmart. you are the first person I have heard say a good thing about them I agree alumicraft is a great boat but avoid boat mart just go in the store and look at all the clutter that sums up how they operate the business. I took boat into them for service twice both times with appointment and both times it was over 6 months before getting my boat back. The first time was just to winterize it the second time for some engine work which after 6 months they never even looked at. they knocked the transducer off by running my boat into another boat with that forklift they use to move boats in there dinky little yard packed full of boats and denied.
That sounds terrible. I would be mad beyond belief. My buddy bought. Boat there and has had great service. Goes to show every shop is hit and miss. Sorry to hear about that man!
Old 03-08-2013, 11:26 AM

Thanks for all the good advices. I guess I'll noe stick with eitherthe crestliner, Lund or alumacraft. I'll look atbtye layout at the boat show and make a decision. Pretty much set on the Etec 135 ho. Sounds like an awesome motor. And they have 6 years warranty right now. I really want a quality boat as I have a seasonal in Lesser Slave Lake and the chop there can beat on a boat pretty good. Any review on Gibbons motor toys? Good place to deal with?
Old 03-08-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutter87 View Post
Does Legend not make a good boat??
I don't think they are "bad" in the way people perceived them to be in the past. Lots of talk of cracked welds, ect. I searched for hours regarding the issue and was finding little beyond threads 5+ years old. And in a lot of them people relayed experiences with other brands of boats having issues taking on water, both welded and riveted (lund included). Legend's problem is their boats are underwhelming and they are not competitive in the market. And this is coming from somebody who initially planned to buy one as my previous employer sells them. They do a good job of promoting complete packages at a cheap price with tiny motors. Comparing apples to apples, I would have paid roughly $3k more for a Legend Xcalibur similarly equipped to the Fish Hawk I purchased. Legend would have been on par price wise with the 1675 Impact I looked at (which says a lot because the Rebel is probably a closer comparison to the Legend). There may have been some wiggle room on price with the Legend, that is something I didn't investigate simply because after spending time poking around in Crestliners and Lunds, the Legend was simply not as nice.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:09 PM

Have you looked into a Lowe...in my humble opinion the same quality as a Lund a wee bit cheaper!
Old 03-08-2013, 12:37 PM

It all depends on how much you want to spend. Lund and Princecraft are by far the best of the bunch. They have the best resale as well. I looked for a year for a great used lund or princecraft and guys simply do not sell them. If you do find one for sale, it is just about as expensive as a new one.

I just bought a new boat last week and elected to go with the Smokercraft due to the width, warranty and the add-ons that came standard with the package.

I just wish there was a better dealer in Edmonton to deal with because the groups I have dealt with thus far seem to forget you the minute the ink is dry on the contract.

I know that this will likely create some debate, but my preference is a double rivetted hull over a welded hull.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moefoe View Post
Have you looked into a Lowe...in my humble opinion the same quality as a Lund a wee bit cheaper!
I did look at them, but they're fish and ski version looks horrible with that big wing/ski pole in the back. What a dumb design. I really think it's gonna be the Crestliner. I think that's the best deal overall with the equipment Free Spirit is adding. My wife said 30k, so hopefully she lets me go a bit over...lol Hopefully Thane is a great salesman.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:49 PM

If anyone makes a decision on a boat because of the dealer's inability to represent and/or sell you another brand of motor you want ............ find another dealer.

Two posters choose Crestliner over Lund due to the Evinrude E-Tec which is, admittedly, one of the best motor selections out there. Seems silly to me. You are just feeding into your dealers trap.

Why not go to a dealer who is a master distributor for Honda, Evinrude and Yamaha and buy a Lund with a Evinrude.

Two stroke = Evinrude 4 stroke = Honda

Premium motors.

Now choose your boat - the motor will be 50% of the price of your boat.

also look at the trailer, the on board wiring, does it have a fuse block, two bilige pumps? the latches and hinges and other construction.

Very quickly you will see a significant difference out there ...........

Do yourself a huge favor and go to a master distributor and save HUGE money.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:55 PM

I´m going with the crestliner as well
Old 03-08-2013, 04:04 PM

Cant go wrong with the Crestliner guys. Sounds like a good choice. Freespirit Marine good place to buy.

Have had my Cliner for 12 years. No problems, in 12 years. Nothing bad to say about Crestliner or Evinrude or Thane.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:53 PM

Having fished in Crestliners and Lunds, besides all of the other factors already mentioned there's one more really important one.

A DRY RIDE.

Lund hulls keep you dry, Crestliners make wearing good quality rain gear mandatory at all times lol. That factor alone would prevent me from ever owning a Crestliner.

That said, I'd be trying real hard to work out a deal to get a boat with that new ETEC 135HO on the back of it, that's one sweet outboard.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:49 PM

Lund is maybe number one but in price as well. If you want more for your money go crestliner but what ever your choice is do not go tracker even if it is 10 000 $ cheaper you will regret it.