Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-20-2009, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Fishfinder let me know if you want to go on a weekend, could always come thru here and take one vehicle from here. Im off the week after Christmas, so if you have a weekday off let me know maybe we can head down that way. Did our burbs for dinner tonight, damn they were good!!!!!! Have to find some bigger ones closer to home too. Yes we do need a flag or something for recognition, I marked it on my pop up but its hard to see in the dark
Should have the 28th,29th off. Weather pending...the ol Vanbourghini may b due for a trip. My job calls for me to b there on weekends, so weekdays r best. If all else fails.... a perchfest at Enchant perhaps....
Old 12-20-2009, 10:21 PM

sounds good. my pike hole is close too, saw one out of there today looked like 15 pounds or even bigger. PCR is 188 KM from my place if you go thru Enchant and across Travers way, in the car in good weather doesnt take too long and barely any traffic that way.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-20-2009, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
sounds good. my pike hole is close too, saw one out of there today looked like 15 pounds or even bigger. PCR is 188 KM from my place if you go thru Enchant and across Travers way, in the car in good weather doesnt take too long and barely any traffic that way.
The infamous Pike Hole. U sure this hole aint in ur mind Wayne??? U keep talking about it, yet, has anyone seen it
Old 12-21-2009, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosmerunited View Post
sure was a nice day out there. nice to actually meet some of the people out.
thanks to fisherwoman for cooking up some of the burbot. tasted great.
jack&7 thank you for post your pics i was able to show the wife what the new tent looked like set up(the nice big one).
mike
My pleasure. Was my first time cooken em, but man are they GOOD! Sure picked up later... it was slow going for awhile. I was quite happy with our new tent, but after seeing the big one beside our 4 man, we might have to upgrade one day (once we wear this one out ) It is called a four man... but if those men are fishing it can only hold 3.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:58 AM

Hey, Im only 41 years old but i have seen this too many times. All you guys slaying the burbs from pcr are going to be the same ones bitching there are none left in 5 years. How about a little catch and release fishing going on out there. Ever wonder why chain only has 6 inch rainbows, Gull has no big pike left in it, spray lake has only 13 inch lakers left??? Think about that before you bonk your next pcr burb or pike.....sick of hearing you guys bitching down the road.......just trying to save the fishery...I have kids....
Old 12-21-2009, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddydog View Post
Hey, Im only 41 years old but i have seen this too many times. All you guys slaying the burbs from pcr are going to be the same ones bitching there are none left in 5 years. How about a little catch and release fishing going on out there. Ever wonder why chain only has 6 inch rainbows, Gull has no big pike left in it, spray lake has only 13 inch lakers left??? Think about that before you bonk your next pcr burb or pike.....sick of hearing you guys bitching down the road.......just trying to save the fishery...I have kids....
I guess we were due for one of these I now declare you HPF "2"
Old 12-21-2009, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Lotsa people have kids. Congrads bud. Pretty sure u don't have to worry about PCR being overfished for burb. If it happens, send some of those evil no gooder burb fishers my way to help me clean out the river. Those ugly, super tasty, n plentiful burbs r getting in the way of my sturg huntin If all u r catching outta chain is 6 inch, n outta Spray 13, my advice....CHANGE BAIT Did somebody not have their milk b4 bed?
Old 12-21-2009, 05:43 AM

"Hey, Im only 41 years old but i have seen this too many times. All you guys slaying the burbs from pcr are going to be the same ones bitching there are none left in 5 years. How about a little catch and release fishing going on out there. Ever wonder why chain only has 6 inch rainbows, Gull has no big pike left in it, spray lake has only 13 inch lakers left??? Think about that before you bonk your next pcr burb or pike.....sick of hearing you guys bitching down the road.......just trying to save the fishery...I have kids...."

X2 - they will bitch about it. But nothing wrong with keeping a few to eat. Good ol saying "catch your limit but limit your catch".
Old 12-21-2009, 05:48 AM

"Pretty sure u don't have to worry about PCR being overfished for burb."

That or something similar was said about a number of lakes in Alberta just before they crashed!

And yet people wonder why limits are reduced or made catch and release.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:59 AM

blah blah blah. i usually release most of my fish. and i have kids too. and yes i limit my catch to me not towant i need as long as it is with in the reg's. i see more of an issue with poaching on almost ever lake i have been to in southern alberta. all you have to do to see this is stay out late till about midnight and you can see groups trying to keep fish they should not or more than they should. if i someone wants to keep a few nothing wrong on it. if you want to start preaching to those who want to keep instead of releasing them how about starting your own thread instead of hijacking someone else.
if you donot like like what you read donot read it . donot like what you see on tv turn the channel. donot like what you hear on the radio turn it off.
mike
Old 12-21-2009, 09:19 AM

My hubby and I went to Wholesale sports on Friday night and bought our Christmas presents for each other. A four man tent, and new ice fishing rods, and heater(exc. sale!). Yesterday, we tried out our new gear at PCR it was a lot of fun! We fished under the bridge, we caught five burbs between us and I caught one walleye. There was just a few other tents around us. They did way better than us! But for our first time out hardwater fishing this year not bad for four hours of fishing. It was my second time ice fishing ever, and my first time catching fish thru the ice. I was shrieking like a school girl! We used smelts and pink jigs. I was reading some threads and was wondering what are flashers? What else works out there? My hubby cleaned the burbs last night and we are eating them tonight for supper. Thanks everyone!
PS Anyone know what's happening with the AOF markers/flags yet? I would love to have put one on top of the tent
Old 12-21-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosmerunited View Post
blah blah blah. i usually release most of my fish. and i have kids too. and yes i limit my catch to me not towant i need as long as it is with in the reg's. i see more of an issue with poaching on almost ever lake i have been to in southern alberta. all you have to do to see this is stay out late till about midnight and you can see groups trying to keep fish they should not or more than they should. if i someone wants to keep a few nothing wrong on it. if you want to start preaching to those who want to keep instead of releasing them how about starting your own thread instead of hijacking someone else.
if you donot like like what you read donot read it . donot like what you see on tv turn the channel. donot like what you hear on the radio turn it off.
mike
Agreed. I could b wrong but I assume everyone taking burb from PCR eat them. I am also sure members who fish out there from the forum, likely keep the lake clean and fish within the regs. No laws r being broken. Am I missing something here or r some people jus bitter? Poachers should b chopped up n used for bait! anyways, back to the thread...
Old 12-21-2009, 12:14 PM

DUDES, Smoke a peace pipe. All Im saying is that it is up to us to respect and manage our own resource. When a lake looks like "shanty town" perhaps that is the time to toss em back. If you are gonna wait for the government to regulate it will be too late(alberta's walleye is a good example). Legality and morality are not necessary the same thing. I have seen too many quality fisheries destroyed by our own hand. Im just tossing out a bit of food for thought guys......RELAX
Old 12-21-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
DUDES, Smoke a peace pipe. All Im saying is that it is up to us to respect and manage our own resource. When a lake looks like "shanty town" perhaps that is the time to toss em back. If you are gonna wait for the government to regulate it will be too late(alberta's walleye is a good example). Legality and morality are not necessary the same thing. I have seen too many quality fisheries destroyed by our own hand. Im just tossing out a bit of food for thought guys......RELAX
Hey, no worries Freddy, Spose i did get a little too excited there. U raise great points and after thinking about it, us fisherpeople jus may have a better idea as to what is happening to the lakes (in some cases) than the government. It is a tuff touchy subject. No harm intended. Peace pipe is smokin
Old 12-21-2009, 04:26 PM

I haven't seen or heard of anyone limiting out for each person on burbs (not that I'm sure it doesn't happen) but I do see posts all the time about people limiting out on trout, perch and whites without any mention. But I totally see the point of limiting the catch especially at a place that is getting hit pretty hard like PCR. I'd like to see some input from a biologist on how fast burbs reproduce and their survival rates. Maybe the current fishing pressure is too much for long term sustainability, I'm don't have enough scientific research/information to make that call, nor to be frank, 95% of us can't really say for sure either. All I can say is that I practice limiting my catch instead of catching my limit.

I'm happy with a few to take home for a few meals, I'm not a freezer stocker except for all the perch from Sundance .
Old 12-21-2009, 04:41 PM

MMMMMMM Sundance perch.....Bonk Bonk

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15h...ec&usp=sharing
Old 12-21-2009, 05:33 PM

I will catch my limit every chance I get, or way more every chance I get, but I rarely keep and kill fish. I think people should follow the regs, and if they want to keep what the law allows, then thats their choice, maybe not a good one every time they go out, but still their choice. If they want to catch and release, thats their choice too, you cant force your beliefs and ideals on other people as long as they are within the law. The whole idea of sportfishing is just that, sport. If you are fishing to survive then theres a different problem. And the way the mercury levels are building up in PCR maybe its a good idea to eat a few burbs now before they are too toxic to eat like the walleye and pike from there. If they ever reach that level , who knows just go out , have fun, and report all the poachers you want.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-21-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Following the regs IS using respect.

There are also many quality fisheries being destroyed due to a lack of harvest.

Present some evidence that the burbs on PCR are in trouble or crawl back into your hole.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:44 PM

Born and raised in Alberta

From my observations, people (most) will keep what they can (and site it must be ok because the regs say we can). That is part of the problem. Some out there have to show just how good they are when they get home. Though I will admit, that is on a decline somewhat over the years. As I stated in a previous post nothing wrong with keeping a couple to eat. And i will say it again because it benefits everyone - catch your limit but limit your catch!

"Present some evidence that the burbs on PCR are in trouble or crawl back into your hole."

Usually by the time they/we figure out they are in trouble its to late and the damage is done.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:52 PM

I see no problem with keeping a few fish to eat. The catch is you should eat them, and not waste them. That is not problem for me as I love to eat fish. Thats not to say that i never catch and release, we all understand the reasons for C&R.

But back to the thread.... Did anyone even catch a pike at PCR on Saterday? We caught quite a few burb and some walleye too, but never even saw a pike. That really surprised me.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:02 PM

someone mentioned to me that they saw a pike on their camera, but I only heard of one caught that day. They are in there, but even in the summer they seem to be pretty incidental. Makes it even more exciting when they pop up and grab the walleye on your hook. I only caught one in a whole (LONG) day off the dock, and I had to swear that one out from under the dock to hook it.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 12-21-2009, 07:14 PM

Freddydog is right we need to be careful not to overdo it,I see his point. At the same time the number of people fishing on that lake is pretty minimal in relation to its size and the "season" Dec and Jan is the only real time that many are caught. Burbot are a very prolific fish. I'd be more concerned about keeping those rotten pike in check before they eat everything they can get there mouth around. Do the lake a favor and keep every pike you catch out of there or untill you catch your limit,even if you trash em when you get home.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helixed View Post
Freddydog is right we need to be careful not to overdo it,I see his point. At the same time the number of people fishing on that lake is pretty minimal in relation to its size and the "season" Dec and Jan is the only real time that many are caught. Burbot are a very prolific fish. I'd be more concerned about keeping those rotten pike in check before they eat everything they can get there mouth around. Do the lake a favor and keep every pike you catch out of there or untill you catch your limit,even if you trash em when you get home.
I'm sure your just kidding about the "trash em when u get home" part. Pike are actually good eats (not that I recommend eating PCR pike due to the mercury) just gotta know how to cook em.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:20 PM

Default pike

I was fishing fairly deep on sat, (next to wayne) I saw on pike on the camera. My dad was fishing closer to shore and caught one pike under 63cm. He threw it back because he thought it had to be 63 cm,
Old 12-21-2009, 07:29 PM

Limit is 3 no size limit. Keep all of them. Fisherwomen I can drop mine off for you if you'd like Pike are much better tasting in the winter.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:35 PM

forgot to say thanks for drilling the extra holes for me Rider

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 12-21-2009, 08:19 PM

me and the guys never caught any pike this time out. just walleye and burbot's. have in the past caught a few pike but not the numbers like walleye. in the summer time it is usually hard to get you lure down to the bottom before the walleyes take em.
will be interesting to see what happens in the next few years as they is lots of walleye's in there and they all the look the same in almost 2 size classes. this just my observations
mike
Old 12-21-2009, 08:32 PM

there were 2 stockings of walleye, thats why the 2 distinct size classes. I guess with the mercury levels we wont have to worry about being able to keep any eventually now, unless its a ploy to help prevent poaching by the government. yah right.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 12-21-2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
X2, But its no use talking to them. There going to do it no matter what. Then like u said 5 years later there be bitching and complaining about it and begging for a new lake. Then someone will give them another lake through a pm. Then next week there be 3-4 posts on it telling everyone about it. Then there do the same thing over. I feel sorry for your kids there won't be much left for them.

ps there probably blame the walleye for devastating the population.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C@RN@GE View Post
X2, But its no use talking to them. There going to do it no matter what. Then like u said 5 years later there be bitching and complaining about it and begging for a new lake. Then someone will give them another lake through a pm. Then next week there be 3-4 posts on it telling everyone about it. Then there do the same thing over. I feel sorry for your kids there won't be much left for them.

ps there probably blame the walleye for devastating the population.
HPF, if you're going to post on an alternate (unbanned) account, at least use different grammar/spelling than you used previous. Makes you way too easy to pick off. Cheers!