Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-07-2010, 06:25 PM

Default coloring smelts

i have heard you can dye your own smelts, and im just wondering how to do this the best way.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:32 PM

The Fishin' Hole was selling markers for that purpose but I would imagine that bingo dabbers would work just as well! But call The Fishin Hole... its the same sort of set up as a bingo dabber.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:35 PM

I'm gonna attempt food coloring here probably tomorrow...will post how that works
Old 01-07-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitfisher83 View Post
I'm gonna attempt food coloring here probably tomorrow...will post how that works
use your hair stuff Im going to stick to good old natural. worked fine for me last weekend

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-07-2010, 06:38 PM

If you want to add more zip to the tip up use the Mustad Blood Red Series Trebles, beleive it or not they do make a difference and the red is nice and shiny... looks like a bleeding smelt.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:40 PM

I don't wanna poison the fish Wayne, chances are we'll be releasing quite a few
Old 01-07-2010, 06:59 PM

When I dye mine I just put them in a bowl with some food coloring and a bit of water. It doesn't take long.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:05 PM
Banned

Here is what I use. I would suggest any to try it it works just great. It really picks up the sad bait that we buy gives them some color and makes them very durable. I do up a couple bags of smelts and a bag of anchovies in a small cooler over night then I through them all together in a zip log bag. They keep for ever. You can leave them in the truck over night let them re freeze then in the morning throw them in the truck,, thaw them out and so on. They last for days. I use garlic in mine really seems to attract those big pike. I will even thaw out a tub of minnows and then throw them in the bag get a real smorg going on to choose from..
Give it a try.

http://www.salmonuniversity.com/ol_brining_herring.html
Old 01-07-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyes View Post
Here is what I use. I would suggest any to try it it works just great. It really picks up the sad bait that we buy gives them some color and makes them very durable. I do up a couple bags of smelts and a bag of anchovies in a small cooler over night then I through them all together in a zip log bag. They keep for ever. You can leave them in the truck over night let them re freeze then in the morning throw them in the truck,, thaw them out and so on. They last for days. I use garlic in mine really seems to attract those big pike. I will even thaw out a tub of minnows and then throw them in the bag get a real smorg going on to choose from..
Give it a try.

Thanks man i forgot about the tub of Minnows I had....and colors you're partial too??they like the pink ones in Chestermere
Old 01-07-2010, 07:21 PM

thanks for the link walleyes, I will definitely have to try that. I have salted them before , still have a cooler of them in the truck from last summer actually, I had forgotten them Now I just have to find a supply of smelts, Brooks is in short supply these days, tho I did pick up a bag of headless ones today. Maybe the pike will think they are easier to catch I have used them before with some luck tho.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-07-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyes View Post
Give it a try.

Neato! Thanx for the tips and link.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:23 PM
Banned

I just use the blue dye as mentioned in the article.. I purchased mine at Wally world actually you can purchase everything you need for this at Wally world..
Old 01-07-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitfisher83 View Post

You are going to try food coloring? What..you have given up on baking cakes and cookies and going for baked smelt
Old 01-07-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
thanks for the link walleyes, I will definitely have to try that. I have salted them before , still have a cooler of them in the truck from last summer actually, I had forgotten them Now I just have to find a supply of smelts, Brooks is in short supply these days, tho I did pick up a bag of headless ones today. Maybe the pike will think they are easier to catch I have used them before with some luck tho.
What's a bag of headless smellers costing a person these days? Size and amount??
Cheers
Old 01-07-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryRoadz View Post
You are going to try food coloring? What..you have given up on baking cakes and cookies and going for baked smelt
I'm not baking them, i'm just coloring them :P
Old 01-07-2010, 07:36 PM
AO Sponsor

Default Try cool aid!

[LEFT]I have experimented with orange, green and purple cool aid, on my anchovies and herring. Works good for coloring, they will eat it, but I still think they like the natural best. I have to agree with walleyes, garlic is good! If your bait is soft, you can also firm it up with a bit of coarse salt.
fish on boys,
MK

Last edited by lilsundance; 01-26-2010 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:43 PM

i buy the big bags of smelts from supertstore and toss em in a tub of water with as much salt as will dissolve and add what food coloring you want (green and red work well). This works extremely well, giver a shot.

Cheers,
Alex
Old 01-07-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfinder View Post
What's a bag of headless smellers costing a person these days? Size and amount??
Cheers
cost me 10 at the asian market in Brooks, not sure what size, a lot bigger then the safeway baggies tho. at least twice as much, I left them in my car so I cant check right now. easier to hide the front treble with no head too, but the pike didnt care last weekend about hooks, they just ignored them and took my bait even tho the hooks looked way too big for the wee smelts. These headless ones are still twice the size.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 01-07-2010, 08:15 PM
Banned

Default Catch and kill

Quote:
cost me 10 at the asian market in Brooks, not sure what size, a lot bigger then the safeway baggies tho. at least twice as much, I left them in my car so I cant check right now. easier to hide the front treble with no head too, but the pike didnt care last weekend about hooks, they just ignored them and took my bait even tho the hooks looked way too big for the wee smelts. These headless ones are still twice the size.
Are you kidding me? That's what you use to get your 32 pike a day? Why do you need to use multiple treble hooks? One for the mouth, and the other to get into his gills or the eye or your finger. Multiple treble hooks are a joke. Ive never seen any fish grab any other than 1 hook. Nice catch and release practice.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzo View Post
Are you kidding me? That's what you use to get your 32 pike a day? Why do you need to use multiple treble hooks? One for the mouth, and the other to get into his gills or the eye or your finger. Multiple treble hooks are a joke. Ive never seen any fish grab any other than 1 hook. Nice catch and release practice.
how many accounts do you have little twit? cant get enough insults in with just one or two?

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 01-07-2010, 08:18 PM
Banned

Learn how to fish then pop by.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:19 PM

Quote:
how many accounts do you have little twit? cant get enough insults in with just one or two?
Don't feed the troll Wayne, you know it's what he wants

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 01-07-2010, 08:22 PM

Pro -Cure egg cure might be worth trying as well.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
NO DOUBT...
Why cant people mind their own. Unless you are AL LINDER, or BILL DANCE. KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT AND USE RESPECT. YOU MAKE ME SICK
Old 01-07-2010, 08:27 PM

x2 where is the love! good on you, you even explain that the fish dont care about the trebles so fantastic brother! keep on catchin
Old 01-07-2010, 08:28 PM

who is Al Lindner??
Old 01-07-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
Pro -Cure egg cure might be worth trying as well.
oops.. forgot about this, that probably will work... will someone try my bingo dabber technique?? lol i wanna know if it works....
Old 01-07-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonoutdoors View Post
who is Al Lindner??
If you dont know who AL LINDER is you are NOT my brother!
Haha.

And yes, i agree with you, good explanation about the trebels!
Old 01-07-2010, 08:32 PM

Re Al Lindner

http://www.anglingedge.com/presskit/..._Lindner.shtml
Old 01-07-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryRoadz View Post
sorry bud. i know who he is, just being a sarcastic mule

But thanks, heck of an angler he is!!