Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-22-2011, 01:45 PM
Banned

Default Bullshead

anyone have any recent info on ice conditions at bullshead? just wondering if its open enough to get a boat in there. thanks.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
anyone have any recent info on ice conditions at bullshead? just wondering if its open enough to get a boat in there. thanks.
just came from there and there is about 10 ft open in front of boat launch and about the same across the bay from launch. checked the pond there also and was a little open water but a little concerned with dead fish. i know there is always dead ones on pond side thru winterkill but also found dead ones on lake side in little open areas. think this lake should be airated. could be a lot more dead ones to come. lets all hope not
Old 04-22-2011, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportster View Post
just came from there and there is about 10 ft open in front of boat launch and about the same across the bay from launch. checked the pond there also and was a little open water but a little concerned with dead fish. i know there is always dead ones on pond side thru winterkill but also found dead ones on lake side in little open areas. think this lake should be airated. could be a lot more dead ones to come. lets all hope not
It is my understanding that bullshead is aerated but people keep stealing the solar panels. A friend gets his water from there and it has turned to crap in the past couple of years and thats what they were told.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportster View Post
thanks sport....looks like another gopher day comin up!
Old 04-24-2011, 04:39 AM

Yes, lotsa ice still on 95% of lake, a good 2'. Plenty of icefishermen still going out and only a few guys fly fishn and spinning. Met a fellow forum member, 'Potato Gun' out there. He landed and released a nice Bow on the fly. Mad casting accuaracy I tell ya...very nice
Anyways can't see any boats on there for awhile yet, will keep ya posted.
Cheers n GL!
Old 04-30-2011, 12:00 AM
Banned

anyone been out in the last day or two? looking for an ice report, but will take a fishing report.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:25 AM
Banned

anyone?
Old 04-30-2011, 05:09 PM

Just got back from Bullshead, Pondside 30% open, boatlaunch area all open to 100yrds down to the right and the small area directly oppisite the boat launch on the other side 70% open . Hope this helps
Old 04-30-2011, 06:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliman View Post
Just got back from Bullshead, Pondside 30% open, boatlaunch area all open to 100yrds down to the right and the small area directly oppisite the boat launch on the other side 70% open . Hope this helps
i was there too.....the only boat so im sure you saw me. robin got one to the boat before he shook loose. you have any luck?
Old 04-30-2011, 06:25 PM

We caught lots of fish there mid April, I'm not concerned about alot of winter kill , they were really healthy looking fish.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop_Tine View Post
We caught lots of fish there mid April, I'm not concerned about alot of winter kill , they were really healthy looking fish.
i agree....i never saw any dead fish today.....but a few will for sure. from what the bio says, its more of an "end of lifespan issue" than winterkill. most of the dead i see there are the biggest fish in the lake, even in the middle of summer. hard to say how much is old age and how much is post release?
Old 05-01-2011, 06:42 AM

Was out also yesterday, it was iced over first thing in am and the north side opened up around 11 near the boat launch, didn't see any fish on the upper pond but did manage to land 3 healthy fat rainbows, I can't see where it may have winter killed as those fish I landed were super healthy fish.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:04 AM

Going to head out this afternoon, not sure if I'll have time to fish though, might just have a looksee. I agree very little to zero winterkill. Have been out several times and only seen 1 dead fish on shore. All fish caught look very healthy.

Sidenote: Did a tour of all Other lakes in Bullshead area yesterday. Elkwater, Michelle, and Reesor are still 100% frozen over. Just starting to soften around the shorelines. The road to Spruce was snowed over and closed.

Cheers n GL
Old 05-02-2011, 03:39 PM

Hopefully the 19C temp we are having in Lethbridge right now is softening up that ice!

Please keep us up to date on the open water situation.

Thanks.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
Hopefully the 19C temp we are having in Lethbridge right now is softening up that ice!

Please keep us up to date on the open water situation.

Thanks.
the remaining ice was very thin. with the wind blowing i will say with complete confidence that it will be totally ice free by the weekend.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
the remaining ice was very thin. with the wind blowing i will say with complete confidence that it will be totally ice free by the weekend.
Where is that 'happy-dance' emoticon......
Old 05-02-2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:
X2
Except I'll be elsewhere
Old 05-05-2011, 03:12 PM

Ice was 100% gone yesterday. Unfortunately so were the trout, for me
Cheers n GL this weekend everybody, wherever y'all go
Old 05-05-2011, 07:21 PM

Fished it today for a good portion of the day and hooked into 4 really good fish but only landed 3 of them. I should have had the 4th one but my dropper ended up getting snagged on a rock on the bottom and the fish spit the hook.

Those fish are so fat and healthy in there right now. They put an amazing fight on the little 4wt with a 4lbs leader.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:39 PM

Default Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
Fished it today for a good portion of the day and hooked into 4 really good fish but only landed 3 of them. I should have had the 4th one but my dropper ended up getting snagged on a rock on the bottom and the fish spit the hook.

Those fish are so fat and healthy in there right now. They put an amazing fight on the little 4wt with a 4lbs leader.
nate do you still own a camera? where's the pics Bud? i'd love to see what the footballs out of there everyone talks about look like.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:

Im gonna go to this place do you reccomend it? and is it a stocked pond>?
Old 05-05-2011, 08:57 PM

It is a stocked lake but has trophy regs on it so you can only keep 1 fish over 50cm. It is stocked with triploids so they beef up pretty quick.

I am far to lazy to learn how to post pictures on here but if someone wants to send me their email in a pm I will send them the pics to post up.

FH7 it will be quite the drive for you to get down there so you may want to make a weekend of it and fish hard the whole time.

It was pretty slow today and took me quite awhile to figure out what was sort of going on and what they were eating. Was to bad the other 2 guys with me couldn't get into any fish but I guess thats how it goes sometime.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:

nates pics. yep they're fat. nice fish.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:57 PM

Thanks Dace,

I can't wait to get back out there for some more fun. Typical still water patterns will work most of the time from what I have seen on this lake.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
nates pics. yep they're fat. nice fish.

those are pigs...great fish!!!! i neer seen alberta stocker trout with kypes before
Old 05-05-2011, 10:04 PM
Banned

you sure there is trips in there? for some reason im thinkin not?
Old 05-05-2011, 10:16 PM

Yup unless someone messed up the stocking of the lake. Both Police and Bullshead are supposed to be stocked with trips every year.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
you sure there is trips in there? for some reason im thinkin not?
2010 stocking report

http://www.mywildalberta.com/Fishing...ngReports.aspx

Says Bullshead, 20,000, RNTR, 3NTP, 16cm
Old 05-05-2011, 10:21 PM

Grats Nate very nice fish.. am jealous nothing but ice up here getting close on a few
Old 05-06-2011, 05:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustDee View Post
2010 stocking report

http://www.mywildalberta.com/Fishing...ngReports.aspx

Says Bullshead, 20,000, RNTR, 3NTP, 16cm
yup...ok. the word at the bar was incorrect. now hooooda thunk that?