Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-06-2011, 06:29 AM
Gone Hunting

Nate is holding dips in the pics, but I have seen trips caught on my one and only time fishing there this winter.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 05-06-2011, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
you sure there is trips in there? for some reason im thinkin not?
yes..stocked with trips and some are getting to be a nice size..the "trips" in Spruce are getting to be a nice size too!
Old 05-06-2011, 07:50 AM

Dale, they'e stocked trips in BH for the last 3 or 4 years. Some of the older fish will still be diploids as they will live ~5 years there. All of the younger fish you catch will be trips.

The 'trips' are really only female trips. We will still find males in the future going through the spawning ritual (kypes, darken up, milt, etc) but we should not be seeing any females in the near future doing this (ie. egg laden)
Old 05-06-2011, 12:36 PM
Banned

could you imagine the size of the fish if they had chosen cavan for this type of fishery instead of bullshead?

.......drooling........
Old 05-06-2011, 03:35 PM

Nicely done Nate! Those are pigs!! Man I wish I could head out with you on sunday but as you know, mothers day. I work next weekend but I will have the monday after off if you feel like doing a trip east or west. Let me know
Old 05-06-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
This fish is likely a triploid. The other two are diploid fish. At this time of year any fish (over 14" or so) that is that chrome is a triploid.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:42 PM

Female diploid...bright pink spawning colors, grey belly full of eggs with distended anus
Triploid females will be chrome
Old 05-06-2011, 09:46 PM

The female was spitting out some really red eggs so I tried to be as quick as possible with the picture and got her back in the water and recovering. She swam away really well and hopefully had no distress and will lay those eggs in the near future. Those males will milting pretty good also and went back pretty quick.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:13 PM

This is what chrome looks like
Old 05-06-2011, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
This is what chrome looks like
nice fish scud
Old 05-06-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
The female was spitting out some really red eggs so I tried to be as quick as possible with the picture and got her back in the water and recovering. She swam away really well and hopefully had no distress and will lay those eggs in the near future. Those males will milting pretty good also and went back pretty quick.
I stand corrected. The hens I have caught in Bullshead have all been a fair bit darker then Nate's fish, but then photos can be tricky. Every 'bow I catch looks just like that fish - all year long!

So that begs the question, is anybody catching any Trips in Bullshead? Photos? I thought I had one last year, but it was in the middle of August, so who knows.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:47 PM

Beautiful fish Chub...but not mine. Chrome vs spawners....
Old 05-06-2011, 10:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
she will lay them....but so what? they wont hatch.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:29 PM

I think there is a couple of spots in there that could possibly have some spawning going on. The moving water over the sand/gravel areas is what I have heard needs to be around for a successful spawn.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:00 AM

Lots of trips have been caught in the years. Just not so many this spring...if any. No surprise though as they're tougher to find in the spring. Diploids are easy to catch as we all know where they will be in the spring. Triploids are new and a little more sneaky.

We'll likely start seeing more of them when the hatches start.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:52 AM

Some of the fish do lay their eggs but most just end up re-absorbing them. Trout eggs need well oxygenated water moving through (upwelling) gravel. No rainbow (or any other trout AFAIK) can successfully reproduce in lakes, they all need an inlet stream or river. This is part of the reason for stocking triploids - no spawning stress.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:40 AM

There is some flowing water with some small gravel patches in the area where I caught all 3 of those fish so I guess there could be a possibility then. They current was strong enough that I was fishing it like a stream or river with my indicator.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:01 PM

Water temp and oxygen levels will be unsuitable. No natural reproduction. None.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
Water temp and oxygen levels will be unsuitable. No natural reproduction. None.
not to mention the only flowing water is a small, silty, barely trickling most days, creek. it is a slough with no gravel beds that im aware of....just the odd rock or two.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
Some of the fish do lay their eggs but most just end up re-absorbing them. Trout eggs need well oxygenated water moving through (upwelling) gravel. No rainbow (or any other trout AFAIK) can successfully reproduce in lakes, they all need an inlet stream or river. This is part of the reason for stocking triploids - no spawning stress.
im not gonna look it up so forigve me if my memory is off, but i think that is one of the species indicators. true trout have light colored bodies with dark spots (rainbows, cutts, browns etc) and need flowing water while char have dark bodies with light spots (bulls, brooks, lakers etc) and can reproduce in still water.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:03 PM

ISB, your question/comment got me thinking, so took a nose dive into the reference material and this is what I found regarding successful spawning (i.e. eggs hatch):

Rainbow - moving water or possibly (emphasized) spring fed shoals in lakes (eggs require highly oxygenated cold clear water to hatch)

Cutthroat - streams and rivers (one observation of spawning activity in a lake, but success unknown)

Bull Trout - streams and rivers

Dolly Varden - streams and rivers but also some lakes

Brook Trout - same (cold and clear water required)

Brown Trout - streams and rivers (clear water)

Lake Trout - gravel/rocky areas in lakes

Bullshead has some gravelly areas (quite silty), but any eggs laid in a redd will not survive.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:30 PM

I know of a pond that has quite a bit of ground water percolating up through some shoreline gravel...the rainbows are spawning successfully there. Pretty rare set of circumstances.